Banner Ads - are they even trying anymore?

•  

HELP!

• I don't even see the banners anymore, all I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead.

• You should be glad the year is correct.

• This one is also serious. I got it several years ago when I used hotmail.

Edit: It only appears to have the repeat flag set to a few times, instead of unlimited. View it seperately for the full seizuretastic experience.

• @Volmarias said:

This one is also serious. I got it several years ago when I used hotmail.

Edit: It only appears to have the repeat flag set to a few times, instead of unlimited. View it seperately for the full seizuretastic experience.

I love how Free is asterisked, and the note is "Details"

• None of them. Ce n'est pas une langoustine.

• @phelyan said:

I don't even see the banners anymore, all I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Nice allusion to The Matrix. 

• @Anteater said:

@phelyan said:

I don't even see the banners anymore, all I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead.

I should have gotten that.

My nerd is failing.

• That test is hysterical.

ROFS type hysterical. :-)

(roll on floor seizing)

• Got to love the humor in some of these though. I'm not a big fan of adds really, although some see them as a necessary evil.

• @pitchingchris said:

Got to love the humor in some of these though. I'm not a big fan of adds really, although some see them as a necessary evil.

I just stick to subtracting negative numbers.

• @dhromed said:

@Anteater said:

@phelyan said:

My nerd is failing.

Can you explain? I saw matrix in french and am not sure this allusions works in french :/

• @tchize said:

@dhromed said:
    @Anteater said:

@phelyan said:

My nerd is failing.

Can you explain? I saw matrix in french and am not sure this allusions works in french :/

For reference:
    @The Matrix said:

Cypher: Whoa, Neo. You scared the bejeezus out of me.

Neo: Sorry.

Cypher: It's okay.

Neo: Is that...

Cypher: The Matrix? Yeah.

Neo: Do you always look at it encoded?

Cypher: Well you have to. The image translators work for the construct program. But there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh... want a drink?

• @tchize said:

@dhromed said:
    @Anteater said:

@phelyan said:

My nerd is failing.

What do you mean you "saw it in French"?

Please don't tell me they redub the voices en français, just like in Germany? That's evil. 

• @dhromed said:

Please don't tell me they redub the voices en français, just like in Germany? That's evil. 

Err, that's what people do. Redub the voices in their own language... 

• @aib said:

@dhromed said:

We have subtitles.

• @aib said:

@dhromed said:

Why on earth do people do that? It's not that hard to read subtitles... 

• @svennieboy said:

@aib said:
    @dhromed said:

I don't know, why do [extra-terrestrial] aliens always speak English? Why do, say, two Russian guys who meet up in New York in an American movie speak English, and do so with an exaggerated accent?

Why do I feel inclined to read every single subtitle as soon as it shows up on screen?

• @svennieboy said:

Half the time when I watch movies at home, I'm not JUST watching movies. With dubbing, I can listen to
    the dialog even when I'm looking at something else. Subtitles force you to watch the movie and do nothing
    else (and sometimes even trying to follow the action while reading the subtitles is annoying)

• @SuperousOxide said:

@svennieboy said:

Half the time when I watch movies at home, I'm not JUST watching movies. With dubbing, I can listen to
    the dialog even when I'm looking at something else. Subtitles force you to watch the movie and do nothing
    else (and sometimes even trying to follow the action while reading the subtitles is annoying)

The subtitles need attention, but the effect is minor compared to the complete loss of orginal lines and orginal delivery i.e. the acting. Dialog is not just words; not just information. If you remove the original voice, you obliterate an integral part of the movie.

I caught a bit of Meet Joe Black on RTL. It was laughable. Brad Pitt speaking German in a weird voice is just plain... weird.

• I don't speak enough German to really get a movie if all the dialog is still in German.  But I get enough to know that when I'm reading the subtitles, half the time they seem to be from a different story than the movie is giving.  I've read English subtitles in movies that were originally in English (don't ask) and dubbed in to French.  Again, subtitles were only coïncidentally relevant to the film.  Subtitles must be written by non-native speakers of either language while on hallucinogens.

• It's quite amusing sometimes getting a multi-language dvd (originally filmed in English) and turning on the English subtitles with the English audio. The subtitles rarely if ever match what the people are actually saying.

Even games suffer. Take "Portal" from the orange box. The subtitles for the turrets aren't the same as the voices. Occasionally it'll give the subtitle for something they CAN say, but they're not saying that line.

• @Quietust said:

For reference: @The Matrix said:

Cypher: Well you have to. The image translators work for the construct program. But there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh... want a drink?

To this day that still pisses me off.  Joe Pantoliano obviously had no idea what the fuck the line was supposed to mean and the Wachowskis never bothered to correct his reading of it for some godawful reason.  it's obvious reading the words that the emphasis is supposed to be on construct program, not for

"The image translators work okay for the construct program because in construct it's just whatever we decided to load up.  But there's way too much information to run the image translators on the Matrix because it's huge."

• @dhromed said:

@SuperousOxide said:
    @svennieboy said:

The subtitles need attention, but the effect is minor compared to the complete loss of orginal lines and orginal delivery i.e. the acting. Dialog is not just words; not just information. If you remove the original voice, you obliterate an integral part of the movie.

I caught a bit of Meet Joe Black on RTL. It was laughable. Brad Pitt speaking German in a weird voice is just plain... weird.

It sounds like this is a difference in how people watch movies. When I watch a movie, I don't see the actors, I see the characters (assuming the actors are competent). As a result, it doesn't matter to me if Alec Guinness is speaking with Alec Guinness's voice, so long as the voice is appropriate for the character, and the speech is appropriate for the lines being said. It sounds like you see the actors, and so hearing someone else's voice is a problem.

• @Thief^ said:

It's quite amusing sometimes getting a multi-language dvd (originally filmed in English) and turning on the English subtitles with the English audio. The subtitles rarely if ever match what the people are actually saying.

Some are better than others. Subtitles on Hollywood products usually suck, because they're done on the cheap like everything else that doesn't sell movies (ie, everything other than marketing). Subtitles on trashy import movies are invariably laughable - the people who write them are kinda taking the piss, since they know that nobody will ever check. Subtitles on anime and similar speciality fields are usually pretty good (although still not as good as the fansubs).

Even games suffer. Take "Portal" from the orange box. The subtitles for the turrets aren't the same as the voices. Occasionally it'll give the subtitle for something they CAN say, but they're not saying that line.

Games have a different problem. Almost always, the subtitles you see are what the script said. The production companies always fail to realise that voice actors improvise around the script a lot, particularly if the script isn't very good or the timing is off compared to the action.

• @dhromed said:

@SuperousOxide said:
    @svennieboy said:

Not everyone can read fast. Not everyone can read, even.

Keeping in mind that TV stations and movie theaters aim for the general populace, it's not hard to see why they would redub the voices in the country's native language.

Not all dubbing is that bad. Once I heard a coworker say that we (Turkey) were around #1 in redubbing... I never bothered checking, but I do know we've had some good dubbing. I know we use as many different voices as there are actors; and I remember a period where every famous actor had a dedicated dubber, so we got used to the voices after a while. As for 3D/animation movies, some pretty cool guys take up the dubbing; I wish I'd seen Ice Age with Turkish dubs.

Of course, now that broadband connections are cheap, and I'm used to downlcoughcough** ordering original DVDs easily, I can't stand Turkish dubs. Hell, I can't stand English redubs.

And subtitles are only good when there's no sound, i.e. when you're watching someone else's laptop over their shoulder.

• Some are better than others. Subtitles on Hollywood products usually suck, because they're done on the cheap like everything else that doesn't sell movies (ie, everything other than marketing). Subtitles on trashy import movies are invariably laughable - the people who write them are kinda taking the piss, since they know that nobody will ever check. Subtitles on anime and similar speciality fields are usually pretty good (although still not as good as the fansubs).

what? I'm a avid anime fan and occasionally buy a box set if i really liked a series. So for instance i recently purchased the genshiken season 1 box set. The production value was absolutely awful, the sound was badly mastered and the subtitles where sometimes plain wrong and sometimes didn't even appear when a character was speaking. And all the extra's where only in german or french. Now to be honest, not all are as bad as genshiken, but more often then not the dvd's seem rushed and imho subpar quality compared to most live action movies.

Of course as a anime fan i keep on buying them in the hopes that at some point anime will become something that isn't just half a shelf in the local media outlet. I of course rarely watch them completely on dvd, because i have the high quality karaoke intro/outro song enabled fansubs right on my harddisk :) (*i don't sing a long, i swear*)

• @misguided said:

@Quietust said:

To this day that still pisses me off.  Joe Pantoliano obviously had no idea what the fuck the line was supposed to mean and the Wachowskis never bothered to correct his reading of it for some godawful reason.  it's obvious reading the words that the emphasis is supposed to be on construct program, not for

"The image translators work okay for the construct program because in construct it's just whatever we decided to load up.  But there's way too much information to run the image translators on the Matrix because it's huge."

I always understood this to mean that the image processors work for the (evil) Matrix and obscure what is really going on.  This is how the agents are able to take over the images of the policemen and other characters in the matrix.  I always think of this line when I do view-source on a web page.  The browser doesn't show you the real data in the web page, only an image.

All I see is HEAD, BODY, STYLE... hey, you want a drink?

• @Qwerty said:

@misguided said:

@Quietust said:

I always understood this to mean that the image processors work for the (evil) Matrix and obscure what is really going on.  This is how the agents are able to take over the images of the policemen and other characters in the matrix.  I always think of this line when I do view-source on a web page.  The browser doesn't show you the real data in the web page, only an image.

But the phrase "construct program" clearly refers to the white room / jumping off a building / martial arts training / etc, and even in this line, is distinguished from the real Matrix. 

• @aib said:

Not all dubbing is that bad. Once I heard a coworker say that we (Turkey) were around #1 in redubbing... I never bothered checking, but I do know we've had some good dubbing. I know we use as many different voices as there are actors; and I remember a period where every famous actor had a dedicated dubber, so we got used to the voices after a while. As for 3D/animation movies, some pretty cool guys take up the dubbing; I wish I'd seen Ice Age with Turkish dubs.

I suppose it's possible to do dubbing "right", then.
    I just haven't seen any. As in, any at all ever and so far, I find it a laughable, clunky, cumbersome way of translating.

@Carnildo said:
    It sounds like you see the actors, and so hearing someone else's voice is a problem.

I see the characters. Hearing a misfit voice that doesn't sync with the lips obliterates any suspension of disbelief instantly.

And you still lose the original lines and original delivery. That's just too valuable to throw away. A movie is not just a picture show.

PS.
    Subtitles taught me English. Yay 4 subtitles.

PS2
    DVD subtitles are turned off by me because hot damn that's crappy stuff.

• @Random832 said:

But the phrase "construct program" clearly refers to the white room / jumping off a building

Oh man, next time someone is crazy and tries to kill themselves by swan dive and gets put in a mental institution i'm totally going to call it a construct program :D 

• @dhromed said:

@aib said:

I just haven't seen any. As in, *any at all ever* and so far, I find it a laughable, clunky, cumbersome way of translating.

The basic problem is that good voice actors are rare, and very few people are willing to hire them for a dub.

The secondary problem is that after translation, lip sync is impossible, and you probably have to maul the translation quite a lot just to make it fit in the available time. 

• @aib said:

Most movies and series are dubbed in the German market. In some (rare) cases, the dubbed version is even better than the original. In many other case, the dubbing suxx.

• @asuffield said:

@dhromed said:

@aib said:

I just haven't seen any. As in, any at all ever and so far, I find it a laughable, clunky, cumbersome way of translating.

The basic problem is that good voice actors are rare, and very few people are willing to hire them for a dub.

The secondary problem is that after translation, lip sync is impossible, and you probably have to maul the translation quite a lot just to make it fit in the available time. 

That may be the reason [why Turks are good at dubbing] -- we (used to) have good voice actors for that. A few things that get to me are

a) children's voices -- a 20-something-year-old woman squeaking is not my idea of a little girl's voice

b) improper translations -- "you mother-#$% @#$%-sucker son of a #$%#$" does not translate to "you dirty improper man" (same problem w/ subtitles)

c) lip sync -- same problem w/ English redubs

But apart from that, some people really try - and it shows. Still, I'd rather stick to the original sound (and English subtitles if I don't know the language).

Speaking of mistranslations, we had a bootleg of "Vertical Limit" called "Horizontal Limit [in Turkish]"