WTF typa question re Excel

• Here is my problem.  I am supposed to create a vacation calendar for my group.  Not only am I not a programmer, I don't even hardly know how to use Excel, which is the program I was hoping to use.  Moreover, I've never before had the pleasure of working with Outlook, so its many delights are unknown to me.

What I would like is a year calendar on one side of a spreadsheet, and columns beside it with "Name" "1st Day Off" "Last Day Off" and probly something like "Notes".  I already have this in Excel, but I would like to add functionality which would do something to the cells in the calendar which correspond to the dates 'out' and 'in' of the vacationer.  Change a color, put in an X, just something to show at a glance that someone had that day off. 

I did read somewhere on here that Outlook offers a group calendar, but when I peeked, I didn't see how one made it for a group.  I need something on our public drive that we can all access.

Is this possible?  Have I created an unsolvable problem?  I'm not a genius.  Seriously.

• @PrairieGirl said:

Here is my problem.  I am supposed to create a vacation calendar for my group.  Not only am I not a programmer, I don't even hardly know how to use Excel, which is the program I was hoping to use.  Moreover, I've never before had the pleasure of working with Outlook, so its many delights are unknown to me.

What I would like is a year calendar on one side of a spreadsheet, and columns beside it with "Name" "1st Day Off" "Last Day Off" and probly something like "Notes".  I already have this in Excel, but I would like to add functionality which would do something to the cells in the calendar which correspond to the dates 'out' and 'in' of the vacationer.  Change a color, put in an X, just something to show at a glance that someone had that day off. 

I did read somewhere on here that Outlook offers a group calendar, but when I peeked, I didn't see how one made it for a group.  I need something on our public drive that we can all access.

Is this possible?  Have I created an unsolvable problem?  I'm not a genius.  Seriously.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=how+to+create+group+calendars+in+outlook&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Google loves you. [;)]

As for getting a colour to change based on a group schedule, I'm going to assume you're familiar with VBA and the Office object model. If so, it shouldn't be that hard....

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.