Any HTMLDB/APEX WTFs?

• Does anyone have any good WTFs related to Oracle's HTMLDB/APEX application?

• @yo joe said:

Does anyone have any good WTFs related to Oracle's HTMLDB/APEX application?

HTML DB / APEX is one big WTF, if you've ever had to use it - particularly the earlier versions - for anything non-trivial, the flaws became evident.

My co-worker had to write an absolute nightmare of an app in HTML DB / APEX (started out when it was still HTML DB). It was a nightmare in that the requirements basically changed every week (not that it mattered much as there wasn't a design document to start with), there were hundreds of pages with no real purpose, basically the whole thing was liable to fall over at any moment.

I'm sure he could provide a few WTFs, but unfortunately as it's now been over a year since I had to do any APEX work I've forgotten most of them!

• @PhillS said:

My co-worker had to write an absolute nightmare of an app in HTML DB / APEX (started out when it was still HTML DB). It was a nightmare in that the requirements basically changed every week (not that it mattered much as there wasn't a design document to start with), there were hundreds of pages with no real purpose, basically the whole thing was liable to fall over at any moment.

How is this an APEX WTF?

• that sounds more like a project planning wtf rather than a technology/development wtf.  the reason i posted this topic was that i think i may have found something in oracle that was actually relatively easy to use and wanted to see if anyone ran into other difficulties.

• @LoztInSpace said:

How is this an APEX WTF?

Reading back over what I wrote, I meant to go on to say that he uncovered quite a few APEX WTFs whilst working on the project. I think the project was actually made worse by the choice of APEX.

My experiences of it are generally pretty good, but it does (or at least, used to) have some annoying limitations. I haven't used it in a year or two so can't comment on what the latest versions are like.

• In general, APEX is quite a good example of the Inner-Platform Effect gone mediocre.