Error Message WTF

• @Random832 said:

@m0ffx said:

The OED only has book-keeping, hyphenated, which makes it pretty clear that the two k's are articulated seperately.

Well... that depends on what exactly "articulated separately" means. A plosive consonant can be realized, in normal speech as either a stop of airflow at a particular location in the mouth, or a sudden start of airflow at that location (at the start of a sentence, there will have been no distinct stop beforehand, rather the mouth is positioned for it before articulation begins). Generally, at least mid-word between vowels, they are realized as an interruption (i.e., stop, then restart) with no delay - whereas - when I pronounce "bookkeeping", there is a distinct pause between the "stop" and the "start", which can thus be interpreted as two distinct consonant sounds (particularly given that the syllable break for hyphenation is traditionally placed between the two "k"s)

I pronounce it "bookeeping". One K disappears lest the word start to sound like: "book, keeping". The actor who playes Sisko on DS9 did that a lot and it's somewhat interrupting.