Coworker WTF



  • After about a week into a new contract, I realized the guy next to me was a little weird.  No, it wasn't the fact the he would have intimate conversations on his cellphone ('yes, sweetie, I'll make your favorite tonight...oh, yes, sweetums...see you soon...') and the voice on the other end was clearly another man.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

    No, it was the fact that this guy was a Liberal Ruby Ranting Dweeb (LRRD).  Even though he was doing <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Delphi</st1:place> (in a .NET shop), it was all Ruby, all the time.  “C# sucks!  Ruby is so expressive.  I hate strong-typing!”  He had worked on one Ruby project, a porn-site.  Plus, he was a hack.  He bitched that SQL wasn't expressive enough, and he couldn't write a query to save his life.

    And if that wasn’t bad enough, he was an absolute unhinged lefty.  Our DBA friend would come over and chat about politics (he was a way left-of-center Gorite, but rational), and our LRRD would have a Tourette's like meltdown.  “Bush is a war-criminal!  Hannity felatiates the RNC!  We are the bad guys!  9-11 was an inside job!  Yada, yada, yada…<o:p></o:p>

    After a while, I started to keep my distance.  <o:p></o:p>

    So, six months later, LRRD gets a new gig in S.F.  A place much more accommodating for his ilk, I must say.  On his last day, the DBA and I are chatting about global warming and the Dan Rather debacle, and LRRD decides to chime in.  He looks at me with this rage, this venom, and says “What, you don’t believe Bush is a draft dodger?  You know, nothing about you surprises me!  I had you figured out from day one.  You’re a racist, and probably a Republican! “  And then he looks to our progressive, yet lucid, DBA and says “And you’re a racist too!"

    And then he catches himself.  "In fact, even I’m probably a little racist!”  <o:p></o:p>

    He was having a good old fashioned self-hating-white-gay-guy meltdown, all within earshot of every cubicle on the floor.  I’m sure he’s very happy in S.F.  The diversity of opinion in the evil <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Orange</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>County</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> was just too much for him.<o:p></o:p>



  • The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    "You know, nothing about you surprises me!  I had you figured out from day one.  You’re a racist, and probably a Republican! “

     

    Pretty much the exact same impression I got from your post. You sound like a gay bashing, christian republican who has something against porn. 



  • lol, i think that's two of the things on my list in the latest CPound post



  • tunnelrat is giving CPound a run for his money these days...



  • @flukus said:

    The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    "You know, nothing about you surprises me!  I had you figured out from day one.  You’re a racist, and probably a Republican! “

     

    Pretty much the exact same impression I got from your post. You sound like a gay bashing, christian republican who has something against porn. 

    Well, I'm not Christian.  And I like porn.  And Gore isn't really left wing, compared to say, Ward Churchill or Neom Chomsky.  So, your generalizing is tedious and sophomoric.  It has an undergrad parroting quality to it. 

    But we all generalize -- its called pattern matching in the IT world.  But you really should get out more. 



  • @TunnelRat said:

    Fol-de-rol



  • @GettinSadda said:

    @TunnelRat said:
    Fol-de-rol


    No, no, don't eat me, I'm only a little VB developer...



  • OK, but this doesn't really qualify as a WTF.  You're just talking about some guy you don't like at work.  Granted, he sounds pretty annoying to me, but nevertheless it just looks like you wanted to get in some more liberal-bashing, or start a flame war or whatever.  Don't you have a blog for that?



  • @TunnelRat said:

    and the voice on the other end was clearly another man.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not sure why I keep making such a big deal about it though, or why I think it's relevant in any way to any of my stories. I'm completely fine with people being gay, as long as I don't have to work for them, or with them, or interact with them at all, or know they exist. Because there's nothing wrong with being gay! Anyone who doesn't believe me is obviously racist against gay people.

    <o:p></o:p>



  • @shadowman said:

    OK, but this doesn't really qualify as a WTF.  You're just talking about some guy you don't like at work.  Granted, he sounds pretty annoying to me, but nevertheless it just looks like you wanted to get in some more liberal-bashing, or start a flame war or whatever.  Don't you have a blog for that?

    That's pretty much exactly right. He's been spamming this forum with pointless rants like this and links to his equally pointless blog for a while now. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't linked to his blog in this thread.



  • @flukus said:

    Pretty much the exact same impression I got from your post. You sound like a gay bashing, christian republican who has something against porn. 

    If you think porn is harmless, you're fooling yourself.  But that would be getting way OT.
     



  • @flukus said:

    The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    "You know, nothing about you surprises me!  I had you figured out from day one.  You’re a racist, and probably a Republican! “

     

    Pretty much the exact same impression I got from your post. You sound like a gay bashing, christian republican who has something against porn. 


    Ok, I'm not fond of most of TunnelRat's posts either, but...wtf is up with the random religious attack? I think (could be wrong, haven't read all of his posts) that religion is one of the few touchy subjects he [b]hasn't[/b] used to piss people off. From the first post, I can see where you'd get the other three points, but the "Christian" comment just makes it look like you're being prejudiced, yourself, or looking for a way to attack him. Or both.

     Ok, ranting done.
     



  • Since we're on the topic of completely pointless:

     

    I like pie.



  • @ShadowWolf said:

    I like pie.

     

    Mmmm, pie.



  • @ShadowWolf said:

    Since we're on the topic of completely pointless:

     

    I like pie.

    Reminds me of one time I was in a diner about 2am, sitting at the counter.  While I was eating my sandwich I was staring into the desert case at this lone piece of blueberry pie. It was late, and that seemed to be the only pie left. "Hmmm," I thought, "that looks good.  Perhaps once I've finished my sandwich I will go ahead and order that slice of blueberry pie!"

    So, I excitedly finished, waited for the waitress to come back, and asked for the slice of blueberry pie.

    "Oh no, hon, that's raisin pie."

    Wha-?  Raisins? In a Pie?  But-? Er?  WHY?!?!  WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING!?!?!  Raisin Pie!

    I've never felt so disappointed and humiliated. Now there's a wtf.


     



  • @shadowman said:

    @ShadowWolf said:

    Since we're on the topic of completely pointless:

     

    I like pie.

    Reminds me of one time I was in a diner about 2am, sitting at the counter.  While I was eating my sandwich I was staring into the desert case at this lone piece of blueberry pie. It was late, and that seemed to be the only pie left. "Hmmm," I thought, "that looks good.  Perhaps once I've finished my sandwich I will go ahead and order that slice of blueberry pie!"

    So, I excitedly finished, waited for the waitress to come back, and asked for the slice of blueberry pie.

    "Oh no, hon, that's raisin pie."

    Wha-?  Raisins? In a Pie?  But-? Er?  WHY?!?!  WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING!?!?!  Raisin Pie!

    I've never felt so disappointed and humiliated. Now there's a wtf.


     

    Raisins have no place in pie.  Raisins should be in pastries or muffins, which are not pies.



  • Re: Raisin pie

     The real WTF is that you didn't man up and try it - it might have been more delicious than the Blueberry Pie.
     



  • Your attack on raisins is clearly a profound expression of your imperialist mindset that associates all things raisin--like with the "other."  IMHO, you are projecting.



  • @TunnelRat said:

    Your attack on raisins is clearly a profound expression of your imperialist mindset that associates all things raisin--like with the "other."  IMHO, you are projecting.

     
    Are you calling me a "rais-ist?"
     



  • @ShadowWolf said:

    Raisins have no place in pie.  Raisins should be in pastries or muffins, which are not pies.

     
     My dad is nuts about the raisin pie.  I never understood how he could like it more than, say apple pie.  It's not terrible, but I can't stand the texture.  Blech...



  • @TunnelRat said:

    Your attack on raisins is clearly a profound expression of your imperialist mindset that associates all things raisin--like with the "other."  IMHO, you are projecting.

    No way to tell if he's kidding or if he really is that full of shit.  Way to take the fun out of the thread.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @TunnelRat said:

    Your attack on raisins is clearly a profound expression of your imperialist mindset that associates all things raisin--like with the "other."  IMHO, you are projecting.

    No way to tell if he's kidding or if he really is that full of shit.  Way to take the fun out of the thread.

    No way to tell?  Only for the irony-challenged.



  • @TunnelRat said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @TunnelRat said:

    Your attack on raisins is clearly a profound expression of your imperialist mindset that associates all things raisin--like with the "other."  IMHO, you are projecting.

    No way to tell if he's kidding or if he really is that full of shit.  Way to take the fun out of the thread.

    No way to tell?  Only for the irony-challenged.

    What a dick.  This is the one comment you've made on this board that has even the hint of a joke in it.  Of course, I would be stupid to think that this is different from your other posts.  You could put a smiley, but that would crack your image.



  • Yes, but was the pie in the shape of the letter E?



  • @ShadowWolf said:

    Since we're on the topic of completely pointless:

     

    I like pie.

     

    Goddammit, you stole my line!

     



  • @PonyGumbo said:

    Yes, but was the pie in the shape of the letter E?

    It was actually in the shape of the letter pi. 



  • @flukus said:

    The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    The problem with leftists is that they all think they're moderates, and that the majority agrees with their opinions.

     

    "You know, nothing about you surprises me!  I had you figured out from day one.  You’re a racist, and probably a Republican! “

     

    Pretty much the exact same impression I got from your post. You sound like a gay bashing, christian republican who has something against porn. 

    There was nothing in his post to indicate his religious affiliation or moral stance on porn.  He seemed to have derogatory tone towards the porn site experience, but I feel that may be justified merely in the low quality of some of these sites.



  • God forbid anybody criticize porn. He was just saying how the gay guy was stereotyping and intolerant. San Francisco is less diverse politically than OC. I get as bored of this reverse stuff as I do of the normal liberal victimization, but it's not necessarily racist or h-phobic.

     

    www.nelsonguirado.com 



  • @PonyGumbo said:

    Yes, but was the pie in the shape of the letter E?

    I prefer square pie



  • You know, I'm more interested in what crazy-ass porn site uses Ruby of all things.

     I thought PHP was the language of the Smut Lords?
     



  • @Kyanar said:

    You know, I'm more interested in what crazy-ass porn site uses Ruby of all things.

     I thought PHP was the language of the Smut Lords?
     

    ROFL!!  My merlot just shot out of my nose. 

    Yeah, doesn't PHP stand for 'Programmers Hacking Porno'?

     



  • @operagost said:

    @flukus said:

    The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    The problem with leftists is that they all think they're moderates, and that the majority agrees with their opinions.

    The "problem" with leftists in the US is that there aren't any. Both parties are so far to the right that the rest of the world can barely see them any more.

    (I have never heard of a politician who didn't claim that the majority agreed with them. Nor have I ever heard of a politician who thought anything - they can't talk and think at the same time, and they can't stop talking) 



  • Some of the users on this forum remind me of the protestors when there's a KKK rally.  Somehow the anti-KKK people always come out looking like idiots.  This may not be the best thread, but I've seen (and posted) worse.

    PS.  I'm attempting to start a porn site myself, and trust me when I say there are plenty of WTFs in that industry.



  • @Cap'n Steve said:


    PS. I'm attempting to start a porn site myself, and trust me when I say there are plenty of WTFs in that industry.

    Remember to post the URL (and probably some account infos) here, so we can check the site for -ahem- possible WTFs.



  • @ammoQ said:

    @Cap'n Steve said:


    PS. I'm attempting to start a porn site myself, and trust me when I say there are plenty of WTFs in that industry.

    Remember to post the URL (and probably some account infos) here, so we can check the site for -ahem- possible WTFs.

    I agree.

    We'll do the monkey jerking. I mean testing. 



  • @asuffield said:

    (I have never heard of a politician who didn't claim that the majority agreed with them. Nor have I ever heard of a politician who thought anything - they can't talk and think at the same time, and they can't stop talking) 

    You hit the nail on the head.  The "left" and the "right" here in America are both perfectly palatable by 90% of the population.  It makes no difference what you choose.



  • All this talk of porn reminds me (ahem) <walks away, comes back five minutes later> of my last job. 

    We put in a bid (but didn't get the contract) on a project whereby we would put porno videos up on the internet so people could watch them ... wait for it ... on their cell phones!  That's right, our client believed that there was a market for this. 

     



  • @belgariontheking said:

    All this talk of porn reminds me (ahem) <walks away, comes back five minutes later> of my last job. 

    We put in a bid (but didn't get the contract) on a project whereby we would put porno videos up on the internet so people could watch them ... wait for it ... on their cell phones!  That's right, our client believed that there was a market for this. 

    Actually, that doesn't seem unlikely to me. Some jerks might want to watch porn during work hours, so the easiest way would be to watch them on a cell phone. 



  • @shadowman said:

    @PonyGumbo said:

    Yes, but was the pie in the shape of the letter E?

    It was actually in the shape of the letter pi. 

    Actually, I think it's only too cool that pie is shaped in a circular fashion and Pi is the relationship between a circle's circumference and diameter.

    It makes it so you can have a word problem including the phrase "Ensure you use the value of Pi to 3 digits to determine the circumference of the Pie."

    Or maybe that's just me.



  • @asuffield said:

    @operagost said:
    @flukus said:

    The real wtf is that you think Al Gore is left wing!

     

    The problem with leftists is that they all think they're moderates, and that the majority agrees with their opinions.

    The "problem" with leftists in the US is that there aren't any. Both parties are so far to the right that the rest of the world can barely see them any more.

    The "problems" with your statement is that not everyone is a member of those two parties, there are more than two political parties in the USA, and I wasn't just talking about leftists in the US (hint: you're one).



  • @operagost said:

    there are more than two political parties in the USA

    Ha ha!

    and I wasn't just talking about leftists in the US (hint: you're one).

    You could not be more wrong. 



  • @asuffield said:

    and I wasn't just talking about leftists in the US (hint: you're one).

    You could not be more wrong. 

    Well, maybe not a US lefty... 



  • @dhromed said:

    @asuffield said:

    and I wasn't just talking about leftists in the US (hint: you're one).

    You could not be more wrong. 

    Well, maybe not a US lefty... 

    most of Asuffield's posts seem to imply that he is right leaning...

     



  • @tster said:

    @dhromed said:
    @asuffield said:

    and I wasn't just talking about leftists in the US (hint: you're one).

    You could not be more wrong. 

    Well, maybe not a US lefty... 

    most of Asuffield's posts seem to imply that he is right leaning...

    I have no idea where you got that idea. I subscribe to neither of the major religions. 



  • @asuffield said:

    I have no idea where you got that idea. I subscribe to neither of the major religions. 

    Then we'll call you a "centrist", you have to have a label or you're not allowed to post here, you know ;)
     



  • @ammoQ said:

    @Cap'n Steve said:


    PS. I'm attempting to start a porn site myself, and trust me when I say there are plenty of WTFs in that industry.

    Remember to post the URL (and probably some account infos) here, so we can check the site for -ahem- possible WTFs.



    Unfortunately it's not that sort of site, just free links to other sites.  It's only partially working, but I am rather proud of the domain I got: [url]http://www.hotnakedboobies.com[/url]. (not work safe)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.