Recursive code failure

• I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.
    I found this in the smartIRC 1.0.0 pear lib.

function reconnect(...)
    {
        // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
        static $tries = 0;
        if ($this->_autoretry == true && $tries < 5) {
             $this->reconnect();
             $tries++;
        } else {
             die();
        }
    }

I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

(and yeah, using php for an irc bot is a WTF all by itself, I know)

• @lepidosteus said:

I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.

function reconnect(...)
    {
    // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
    static $tries = 0;
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    }

I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

Well, you can't blame the author.  Recursion is just so hard.  How was he or she to know that the correct version was to do this?

function reconnect(...)
    {
        static $tries = 0;
        for (;$tries < 5; ++$tries)
        {
            $this->reconnect();
        }
        ...reconnect code...
    }

• @bstorer said:

@lepidosteus said:

I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.

function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    }

I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

Well, you can't blame the author.  Recursion is just so hard.  How was he or she to know that the correct version was to do this?

function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    {
    $this->reconnect();
    }
    ...reconnect code...
    }

perhaps a

function reconnect(...) {
    for ($i=0;$i<5;$i++) {
    if ($success) return true;
    .. reconnect code ...
    }
    return false;
    }
    Would have sufficed. 
    no recursion though. 

• @stratos said:

@bstorer said:

@lepidosteus said:

function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    }

function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    {
    $this->reconnect();
    }
    ...reconnect code...
    }

perhaps a

function reconnect(...) {
    for ($i=0;$i<5;$i++) {
    if ($success) return true;
    .. reconnect code ...
    }
    return false;
    }

Would have sufficed.
    no recursion though.

Recursion is more elegant, though:

function reconnect(..., $i)
    {
        if (++$i < 5)
        {
            $this->reconnect($i);
        }
        ...reconnect code...
    }

I mean, if you don't want to use recursion, why not just:

function reconnect(...)
    {
        //Five times
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        ...reconnect code...
    }

And yes, I'm kidding.

• Well the initial thought I think was to set the _autoconnect false when going recursive but was somehow missed... Using recursions in the first place... I don't know... However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts. Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.

• @death said:

Well the initial thought I think was to set the _autoconnect false when going recursive but was somehow missed... Using recursions in the first place... I don't know... However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts. Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.

They don't get a free pass on being derided just because they released the source. Make fun of them first, then fix it. Stupid is stupid, regardless of context.

• @death said:

However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts.

Dude, if someone gives you a gift, and you take it home all excitedly and untie the string and tear off all the wrapping paper and inside it there's a box and you open the box and inside the box is your gift....

... and your 'gift' is a lump of wet turd ...

... you're still entitled to bitch about it even though it was free.

@death said:

Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.

BUG REPORT #0001

Subject:  Gift.

Problem description:  It's a lump of turd, dude.  Shit through-and-through.

How do you 'patch' that?