Recursive code failure



  • I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.
    I found this in the smartIRC 1.0.0 pear lib.

    function reconnect(...)
    {
        ...
        // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
        static $tries = 0;
        if ($this->_autoretry == true && $tries < 5) {
             $this->reconnect();
             $tries++;
        } else {
             die();
        }
        ...
    }

    I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

    (and yeah, using php for an irc bot is a WTF all by itself, I know)



  • @lepidosteus said:

    I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.
    I found this in the smartIRC 1.0.0 pear lib.

    function reconnect(...)
    {
    ...
    // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
    static $tries = 0;
    if ($this->_autoretry == true && $tries < 5) {
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    ...
    }

    I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

    (and yeah, using php for an irc bot is a WTF all by itself, I know)

    Well, you can't blame the author.  Recursion is just so hard.  How was he or she to know that the correct version was to do this?

    function reconnect(...)
    {
        static $tries = 0;
        for (;$tries < 5; ++$tries)
        {
            $this->reconnect();
        }
        ...reconnect code...
    }
    


  • @bstorer said:

    @lepidosteus said:

    I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.
    I found this in the smartIRC 1.0.0 pear lib.

    function reconnect(...)
    {
    ...
    // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
    static $tries = 0;
    if ($this->_autoretry == true && $tries < 5) {
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    ...
    }

    I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

    (and yeah, using php for an irc bot is a WTF all by itself, I know)

    Well, you can't blame the author.  Recursion is just so hard.  How was he or she to know that the correct version was to do this?

    function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    for (;$tries < 5; ++$tries)
    {
    $this->reconnect();
    }
    ...reconnect code...
    }

     

    perhaps a

    function reconnect(...) {
    for ($i=0;$i<5;$i++) {
    if ($success) return true;
    .. reconnect code ...
    }
    return false;
    }
    Would have sufficed. 
    no recursion though. 


  • @stratos said:

    @bstorer said:

    @lepidosteus said:

    I needed some quick irc bot for testing, and I thought using my already working lamp system for that would be enough.
    It kept crashing when there was trouble testing with the connection so I looked in the code.
    I found this in the smartIRC 1.0.0 pear lib.

    function reconnect(...)
    {
    ...
    // doesn't work somehow.... I only want to retry 4 times! no endless loop (causes segfault)
    static $tries = 0;
    if ($this->_autoretry == true && $tries < 5) {
    $this->reconnect();
    $tries++;
    } else {
    die();
    }
    ...
    }

    I don't know what kills me, the fact that this is released as 1.0.0-stable, or the fact that, yes, the author actually found it crashing, knew it went in an endless loop, read the code, and yet didn't found what was wrong (thus the comment). I hope he read "recursive coding for dummies" before porting his project to dot net ...

    (and yeah, using php for an irc bot is a WTF all by itself, I know)

    Well, you can't blame the author.  Recursion is just so hard.  How was he or she to know that the correct version was to do this?

    function reconnect(...)
    {
    static $tries = 0;
    for (;$tries < 5; ++$tries)
    {
    $this->reconnect();
    }
    ...reconnect code...
    }

     

    perhaps a

    function reconnect(...) {
    for ($i=0;$i<5;$i++) {
    if ($success) return true;
    .. reconnect code ...
    }
    return false;
    }

    Would have sufficed.
    no recursion though.


    Recursion is more elegant, though:

    function reconnect(..., $i)
    {
        if (++$i < 5)
        {
            $this->reconnect($i);
        }
        ...reconnect code...
    }
    

    I mean, if you don't want to use recursion, why not just:

    function reconnect(...)
    {
        //Five times
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        $this->reconnect();
        ...reconnect code...
    }
    

    And yes, I'm kidding.



  • Well the initial thought I think was to set the _autoconnect false when going recursive but was somehow missed... Using recursions in the first place... I don't know... However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts. Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.



  • @death said:

    Well the initial thought I think was to set the _autoconnect false when going recursive but was somehow missed... Using recursions in the first place... I don't know... However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts. Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.

    They don't get a free pass on being derided just because they released the source. Make fun of them first, then fix it. Stupid is stupid, regardless of context.



  • @death said:

    However Bitching about free&open code is just like bitching about gifts.

      
    Dude, if someone gives you a gift, and you take it home all excitedly
    and untie the string and tear off all the wrapping paper and inside it
    there's a box and you open the box and inside the box is your gift....

      ... and your 'gift' is a lump of wet turd ...

    ... you're still entitled to bitch about it even though it was free.

    @death said:

    Don't like it? File a bugreport/patch and become part of the solution.

    BUG REPORT #0001

    Subject:  Gift.

    Problem description:  It's a lump of turd, dude.  Shit through-and-through.

    How do you 'patch' that?

     



Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.