TDWTF-esq comic for the day:

• I love both these sites, and i'm wondering if someone from one has been talking to someone from the other. :-)

• Genius.

• Oh, the alt text for the image was "And my daughter's name is 'Help! i'm stuck in a driver's license factory'"

• SQL Injection FTW!

• xkcd is one of about 2.5 web comics that are actually worth a damn.

• @db2 said:

xkcd is one of about 2.5 web comics that are actually worth a damn.

I find myself acutely curious what 0.5 of a web comic would look like.

(Incidentally, I can think of about 8) 

• @asuffield said:

@db2 said:

The other one of 2 is either Sinfest or PA, and the 0.5... Don't know.

Care to list your 8? 

• @dhromed said:

@asuffield said:

@db2 said:

Care to list your 8? 

PA, OOTS, Dilbert, xkcd - everybody should know those.

Slightly more obscure:

Questionable content

Ozy and Millie

Girl Genius

Dominic Deegan

Kevin & Kell

There's a few more that I consider worth reading, but these really stand out. 

• Four more for the list: 

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/index.html 

• @asuffield said:

@dhromed said:
    @asuffield said:

@db2 said:

Care to list your 8? 

Slightly more obscure:

Questionable content

Ozy and Millie

Girl Genius

Dominic Deegan

Kevin & Kell

I'm going to second Dominic Deegan and QC.  The [url=http://www.pbfcomics.com/]Perry Bible Fellowship[/url] has it's moments (it's also not updated often). 

I read [url=http://www.sluggy.com/]Sluggy Freelance[/url] religiously.  Pete Abrams is the King of the Story Arc, and he's got over 10 years of archives at this point.  It's a lot, but the 'That Which Redeems' and 'Oceans Unmoving' (which are 6.5 and 7 years into the archives) arcs were incredible.

For a WTF related Blast-From-The-Past(tm), the now-defunct [url=http://bbocs.lazarusworld.com/]Bad Boys of Computer Science[/url] is @#$%ing amazing.  I highly suggest blowing an afternoon or two on them.  After the first three comics, you will never look at linked lists and bash history expansion the same way again.

• @phaedrus said:

@asuffield said:
    @dhromed said:
    @asuffield said:

@db2 said:

Care to list your 8? 

Slightly more obscure:

Questionable content

Ozy and Millie

Girl Genius

Dominic Deegan

Kevin & Kell

I'm going to second Dominic Deegan and QC.  The [url=http://www.pbfcomics.com/]Perry Bible Fellowship[/url] has it's moments (it's also not updated often). 

I read [url=http://www.sluggy.com/]Sluggy Freelance[/url] religiously.  Pete Abrams is the King of the Story Arc, and he's got over 10 years of archives at this point.  It's a lot, but the 'That Which Redeems' and 'Oceans Unmoving' (which are 6.5 and 7 years into the archives) arcs were incredible.

For a WTF related Blast-From-The-Past(tm), the now-defunct [url=http://bbocs.lazarusworld.com/]Bad Boys of Computer Science[/url] is @#$%ing amazing.  I highly suggest blowing an afternoon or two on them.  After the first three comics, you will never look at linked lists and bash history expansion the same way again.

I read some of these (OOTS, Girl Genius and Dilbert) regularly. But I don't get what they have in common that would classify them as 0.5 comics. Could someone explain it to me?

I also read VG Cats. In about half of its strips it's showing WTF-like situations that happen in videogames and the VG industry.

• @asuffield said:

@db2 said:

The other one would be Perry Bible Fellowship.

The remaining .5 is mostly composed of the ones that have their moments (notably Penny Arcade).

• Goddamnit, I can't look away from the first Girl Genius comic. And I haven't even browsed yet.

That's quality you don't see often on the blagoblag.

\\srv\d$

Least I Could Do
    Sinfest
    Girls With Slingshots*
    The Polymer City Chronicles (updates slower than pitch dripping, but nice huge arc and crisp art)

And of course the xkcd, the vgcats, the Perry Bible Fellowship, and the PA. 

• @dhromed said:

Goddamnit, I can't look away from the first Girl Genius comic. And I haven't even browsed yet.

Phil Foglio is one of those rare authors who is actually talented, and this is far from his first work - it's not one of those hobby projects, he's been doing this sort of stuff for a living for something like 20 years, just moved onto the web when it took off. There's a real storyline, which keeps getting better, and even has that rare touch of originality to it. Well worth buying the books (better image quality).

["Horse! Pie! Horse! Pie!"]

• @asuffield said:

@dhromed said:

Goddamnit, I can't look away from the first Girl Genius comic. And I haven't even browsed yet.

Phil Foglio is one of those rare authors who is actually talented, and this is far from his first work - it's not one of those hobby projects, he's been doing this sort of stuff for a living for something like 20 years, just moved onto the web when it took off. There's a real storyline, which keeps getting better, and even has that rare touch of originality to it. Well worth buying the books (better image quality).

["Horse! Pie! Horse! Pie!"]

I noticed the art drops off a little after that first one; unstable lines and misshapen bodies -- as though he tried to wing it without sketching out the pages first; and there's obvious colouring inexperience in the first coloured sets. But the final one on the front page tells me I have eyecandy to look forward to.

I stayed up until 1 last night reading it.

• We've made it this far without mention of 8-Bit Theatre?

• @bstorer said:

We've made it this far without mention of 8-Bit Theatre?

Perhaps, but, like Dinosaur Comics, it doesn't make me laugh. 

• @dhromed said:

; and there's obvious colouring inexperience in the first coloured sets.

IIRC they don't do their own coloring.

• @asuffield said:

...OOTS...

I've become pretty disillusioned with OOTS lately. Even after his break, he fell right back into the habit of being lucky to get 1/week (except for the last week, where he's posted 4). And the story isn't really going anywhere, either. I'm hoping it gets back on track soon...

• @Random832 said:

@dhromed said:

; and there's obvious colouring inexperience in the first coloured sets.

IIRC they don't do their own coloring.

I pulled the books off the shelf and checked the credits. Phil Foglio does the line art; Phil and Kaja have both coloured a few major illustrations, and Kaja does the lettering. Main story colouring is done by others. In the early parts, it was Laurie Smith, then later Marc McNabb. Currently it's mostly being done by Cheyenne Wright.

I believe this sort of distributed artwork is common in western-style comics. The title authors are always the ones who write the story, but the rest is often farmed out to whoever is handy.

• @rbowes said:

@asuffield said:
    ...OOTS...

I've become pretty disillusioned with OOTS lately. Even after his break, he fell right back into the habit of being lucky to get 1/week (except for the last week, where he's posted 4). And the story isn't really going anywhere, either. I'm hoping it gets back on track soon...

Most non-professional comics have their off periods. It hasn't actually jumped any sharks yet, and the archives are still good.

• @asuffield said:

I believe this sort of distributed artwork is common in western-style comics. The title authors are always the ones who write the story, but the rest is often farmed out to whoever is handy.

I'd draw one.

I'd just have to farm out the writing. 

• To get even more geeky, Phil and his wife (i think she is anyway) Kaja, drew a lot of art for Magic: The Gathering the trading card game.

Oh, and it seems noone has mentioned Userfriendly.org

• @asuffield said:

Questionable content

Ozy and Millie

Girl Genius

Dominic Deegan

Kevin & Kell

I'm really surprised, [b]asuffield[/b]. Those comics are quite a bit pedestrian and sad, each in their own way.

Questionable Content? Trendy, to a fault. The aloof attitude that oozes out of each so-ironic character is tiring after 5-days-a-week for two years with about 5%'s worth of character development. Art is improving, but the character designs are always on-side and stiff.

Ozy and Millie? Too political to appreciate. I'm pretty liberal, but it's too preachy in that Ziggy/Bloom County/BC/Mallard Filmore -esque to wrap up sophilisms and tiny morality plays in what is ostenstatiably a celebration of the folly and innocence of youth. 

Girl Genius? I like steam punk as much as the next guy. But the whole comic seems like a setup for the "special nude issue, only $9.99 on wowio" that never comes. 

Dominic Deegan. [b][i]DOMINIC DEEGAN[/i][/b]????? The only good this has ever spawned was: [url=http://dominicdurgan.comicgenesis.com/]Dominic DURGAN[/url]
    I mean christ, mookie can't draw for shit, he'll never improve, and he writes weird twisted ass realities with self-insertion, complete with statutory rape. YEAH!

Kevin and Kell? Okay, this one is pretty good. Even better than On the Fasttrack, IMO.
    But coupled with Ozy and Millie, I wonder if this is just a stand-in for your IT/office/current events gag-a-day quota, and you like it because you're a raving furry.

• @kirchhoff said:

Questionable Content? Trendy, to a fault. The aloof attitude that oozes out of each so-ironic character is tiring after 5-days-a-week for two years with about 5%'s worth of character development. Art is improving, but the character designs are always on-side and stiff.

Your satire detector is malfunctioning.

Ozy and Millie? Too political to appreciate. I'm pretty liberal, but it's too preachy in that Ziggy/Bloom County/BC/Mallard Filmore -esque to wrap up sophilisms and tiny morality plays in what is ostenstatiably a celebration of the folly and innocence of youth. 

If you think it's political, you've been watching too much politics. And you're taking things way too seriously. It's comedy, pure and simple - if you can't see past the setting to the punchline, you're looking at it wrong.

The basic problem appears to be that you're only interested in reading things which agree with your own beliefs/preconceptions, and cannot tolerate the notion that anything could be good if it doesn't. (I'm betting that this paragraph will be treated in much the same way)

• Along with a list of about 100 that i'm "semi-permanently on hold" from reading, the ones I actually follow on a regular basis are (in order of awesome):

And I'll occasionally blast through the archives of some other one from the big list (actually an excel sheet that keeps track of which page I last read, how many are likely to have updated since, etc) - generally i'm on average at least a week behind on all but the first four above.

• @kirchhoff said:

Girl Genius? I like steam punk as much as the next guy. But the whole comic seems like a setup for the "special nude issue, only $9.99 on wowio" that never comes.

WTF?

Reading one page of a story-type comic (as opposed to comic-style comic) doesn't give you the right the review it. And beside, the part you are referring to is when her spark was awakened and she began inventing unconsciously in her sleep, so of course she would be wearing what a sleeping person would wear, which by the way was old-style underwear which is more decent than the "overwear" a lot of women wear (both in comic and real life). And, as opposed to most female starring comics, the creators of this comic didn't focus on the girl's "features".

So, in short, your opinion is full of crap. The story is deep and very very good as opposed to the 99.999% other comics out there, and it has rereadability: when you reread the story a lot of things make sense when they didn't first read you it (see the scene when the Jager generals called Agatha to their office).

Edit: TRWTF is still the forum software (nothing new here)

• QC makes me fall asleep.

@kirchhoff said:

Have you read more than 1 page?

PS.
    Phil really loves to draw that green Jäger of the three that are on a mission. You can see it in the lines.

• @CapitalT said:

Reading one page of a story-type comic (as opposed to comic-style comic) doesn't give you the right the review it. And beside, the part you are referring to is when her spark was awakened and she began inventing unconsciously in her sleep, so of course she would be wearing what a sleeping person would wear, which by the way was old-style underwear which is more decent than the "overwear" a lot of women wear (both in comic and real life). And, as opposed to most female starring comics, the creators of this comic didn't focus on the girl's "features".

Also, Agatha's cool and all, but she's about as attractive as a socket wrench (even by Phil Foglio's admittedly rather lumpy standards). She's a classical mad scientist - if you get hung up on the fact that she's female, you need to get out more. It's not that kind of story. 

• @asuffield said:

Also, Agatha's cool and all, but she's about as attractive as a socket wrench (even by Phil Foglio's admittedly rather lumpy standards). She's a classical mad scientist - if you get hung up on the fact that she's female, you need to get out more. It's not that kind of story. 

I would ask that socket wrench for a dance, sir -- though granted, after mental compensation for the stovepipe arms and linebacker shoulders.

• I'm sorry for the confusion my post has created. I mean, didn't the claims of being a closet furry and the use of the word [b]sophism[/b] clue anybody in?

I was trying to be funny and over-the-top with my critique. I do read Girl Genius and Questionable Content regularly, for the record.

I don't care for Ozy and Millie, and not because of the politics, but because I don't care for the art direction and it doesn't make me laugh out loud enough... :-/

Dominic Deegan is shit, however. 

[b]Edit:[/b] I suppose I started out serious when I saw Dominic Deegan in there and then had to started making up stuff to get a full ICE BURN ... I shouldn't post right before bed, because I get incoherent.

• @kirchhoff said:

Dominic Deegan is shit, however. 

I suppose it depends on whether you think a fish falling on somebody's head is funny. 

• @CapitalT said:

Edit: TRWTF is still the forum software (nothing new here)

While I agree with your sentiment about Agatha and then entire Girl Genius comic, I have to take exception with the portion I quoted above.

TRWTF is still the morons who insist on posting about the forum software, particularly the ones who are moronic enough to edit their posts to add said complaints. Get a friggin' life, will ya? The software used on these forums is none of your damn business; it's Alex's. If you don't like it, don't come here.

• @KenW said:

The software used on these forums is none of your damn business; it's Alex's. If you don't like it, don't come here.

I am puzzled as to what you think the purpose of this site is. We're all here to take the piss out of OTHER PEOPLE'S stupid messes, and both CS and the site itself certainly qualify as being both (a) something that somebody else did, and (b) a stupid mess. If you don't like that, we don't care.

Why don't you go shout at some newspapers for daring to report things that weren't "their business"? That should be amusing to watch.