Alphabetical order of states?

• On the allpoint ATM website, I was trying to find an ATM in NYC. Type in "New York", tab to the states field, hit "N" (NE), hit "N" again (NV), hit "N" again (NH)... wait a second... NV comes before NH??

"View Source" yields this nice list (excerpted for N only):

<option value="NE">NE</option>
    <option value="NV">NV</option>
    <option value="NH">NH</option>
    <option value="NJ">NJ</option>
    <option value="NM">NM</option>
    <option value="NY">NY</option>
    <option value="NC">NC</option>
    <option value="ND">ND</option>

From what I can tell, the order is alphabetical from the full name of the state. Guess they should have put the full name in the text part of the field.

The thing that worries me is that they obviously created this nice state menu from scratch... the code for this should be everywhere by now, there is no need to manually do it again!

The map itself is another WTF, but I won't go into it now (go ahead, try to find a nice map, then zoom in for a closer look. That's right, you can't!)

It's sites like this that give me hope that I'm not doing so bad after all. 

• I get used to hitting it a certain number of times, so I could actually see some good in creating a standard ordering, regardless of which form is being displayed. 

@broekage said:

The thing that worries me is that they obviously created this nice state menu from scratch... the code for this should be everywhere by now, there is no need to manually do it again!

for(i=0; i<50; i++){
         cout << "<option value=\"" << states[i].getAcronym() << "\">" << states[i].getAcronym() << "</option>";
    }

That wheel doesn't take very long to re-invent.  Googling for existing code just might have taken more time.

• @broekage said:

The map itself is another WTF, but I won't go into it now (go ahead, try to find a nice map, then zoom in for a closer look. That's right, you can't!)

It's sites like this that give me hope that I'm not doing so bad after all. 

It looks like they took a screenshot of google maps, then wrote their own absolutely worst conceivable user interface. 

• You are not the only one who's noticed it. There are a lot of other states affected. I've learned to expect it in every US state combo-box.

• I currently live in PA, so I'm used to just hitting "P" once. It works most of the time, since it's the only state that starts with P. Sometimes, they include Puerto Rico, and totally throw me off.

• @broekage said:

I currently live in PA, so I'm used to just hitting "P" once. It works most of the time, since it's the only state that starts with P. Sometimes, they include Puerto Rico, and totally throw me off.

What spelling or abbreviation puts Puerto Rico (PR) before Pennsylvania (PA)?

• @vt_mruhlin said:

@broekage said:

I currently live in PA, so I'm used to just hitting "P" once. It works most of the time, since it's the only state that starts with P. Sometimes, they include Puerto Rico, and totally throw me off.

I was wondering the same thing as I was writing that post... I don't remember. Maybe they reversed the order of states or something. 

• @broekage said:

@vt_mruhlin said:

@broekage said:

I was wondering the same thing as I was writing that post... I don't remember. Maybe they reversed the order of states or something. 

Reverse order of entry into the union.

• I'm in Virginia.  I swear it's a 50/50 chance on every website I fill a form in, that the first press of "V" will get me Virginia.  The other 50 it will pop up Vermont first.  occasionally I'll get Virgin Islands first.  WTF?