Sky sports online TV guide



  • I wanted to see if United's game is live on Saturday, so naturally, I pulled up their online TV guide. Big mistake:

     

     

    The main problems with this page can be summarised in one sentence:

     
    "Gillette Soccer Saturday" finishes at 12:30pm, followed immediately by "You're on Sky Sports at 19:30pm"

     
    Sigh, even being one of the largest and most forward thinking media companies in the world can't stop people from deploying complete crap onto their website. In fact, their website on the whole is complete trash. For example, go to  http://www.skysports.com/  and click on "WHAT'S ON TV" in the top tool bar and see the resultant page.

     



  • That's pretty messed up.  You'd think someone would at least test it before deploying.

    I had a similar problem the other day with TiVo's website, though not that bad (seemed a temporary glitch).  When I got to work my wife called and asked me to schedule recording of a morning show, which should have been on at 9 am.  When I searched for it, though, it showed up as 1 pm, and when I looked at the grid, the entire thing was shifted back by 4 hrs.  I'm in EST so it was probably a time zone/GMT glitch, but it was resolved once I logged out and logged back in.

    BTW, "Darts"?  Don't think I've ever seen that on American TV (then again, I don't have that many sports channels, either).  I'm not sure whether that would be really fun or really boring to watch.



     



  • @cconroy said:

    BTW, "Darts"?  Don't think I've ever seen that on American TV (then again, I don't have that many sports channels, either).  I'm not sure whether that would be really fun or really boring to watch.

     

    I've seen darts on Canadian TV, but I think it was a British competition.  While not action packed it managed to keep me interested for a few minutes.  If nothing else, the announcer yelling "One Hundred and Eighty!" every three minutes was kind of funny.



  • "Get your subscription today for an annual fee of only ₤99.99 € dollars and 95 cents per month!"



  • @Jetts said:

    @cconroy said:

    BTW, "Darts"?  Don't think I've ever seen that on American TV (then again, I don't have that many sports channels, either).  I'm not sure whether that would be really fun or really boring to watch.

    I've seen darts on Canadian TV, but I think it was a British competition.  While not action packed it managed to keep me interested for a few minutes.  If nothing else, the announcer yelling "One Hundred and Eighty!" every three minutes was kind of funny.

    I've seen it on one of the ESPNs now and then.  They used to run it at night.  Still, it wasn't as good as turning on the TV a 2:00 am and finding sumo wrestling or a World's Strongest Man competition from 1983.



  • @bstorer said:

    Still, it wasn't as good as turning on the TV a 2:00 am and finding sumo wrestling or a World's Strongest Man competition from 1983.

    No kidding.  One night on TSN several years ago (2003 or so), I saw some world cheerleading competition.  That's fine if the want to play that, got nothing against it... but when it's the 1998 competition, it really feels like they are struggling to find content.  Even saw dog-jumping on there once in the middle of the afternoon (the competition is to see how far a dog can jump off of a dock). If only they knew that there were more than 4 sports in the world that people like to watch: hockey, baseball, basketball, and football (the american kind).
     



  • @skippy said:

    @bstorer said:

    Still, it wasn't as good as turning on the TV a 2:00 am and finding sumo wrestling or a World's Strongest Man competition from 1983.

    No kidding.  One night on TSN several years ago (2003 or so), I saw some world cheerleading competition.  That's fine if the want to play that, got nothing against it... but when it's the 1998 competition, it really feels like they are struggling to find content.  Even saw dog-jumping on there once in the middle of the afternoon (the competition is to see how far a dog can jump off of a dock). If only they knew that there were more than 4 sports in the world that people like to watch: hockey, baseball, basketball, and football (the american kind).
     

     

    That dog jumping is quality. I like in the UK but spend a fair amount of time in Florida with family. I believe the dog jumping is part of the 'outdoor games' competition. These supreme athletic endeavours include log running (they chain logs together lengthways across a water inlet and you have to run across in the quickest time), log sawing, tree chopping and log riding (non contact, two people on a log on water trying to make each other fall off by running on it to make it spin).



  • @slyadams said:

    That dog jumping is quality. I like in the UK but spend a fair amount of time in Florida with family. I believe the dog jumping is part of the 'outdoor games' competition. These supreme athletic endeavours include log running (they chain logs together lengthways across a water inlet and you have to run across in the quickest time), log sawing, tree chopping and log riding (non contact, two people on a log on water trying to make each other fall off by running on it to make it spin).

    We have entire channels here in NA devoted to outdoor games, so the sawing/chopping ones are almost "normal" here.  Dog jumping was a rarity, especially on a mainstream sports channel.  These usually fall into the extra cable channel packages.  Didn't mean to bash the dog jumping.  It was more of a situational thing, since we were at a pub.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.