More vista sh*t

• What is it with vista, they seem to have taken everything that was streamlined in xp and made it slower and harder.

The list begins...
    Wireless networking
    To get this to work to begin with is hell on earth as it overides the bundled WIFI driver software. But it won't automatically connect, you have to click on the icon at the bottom right to get a list of connections up then connect. But to get this list of connections to pop up you first have to wait about 1 minute while it thinks about for no apparent reason, whats that all about?

Locking up
    So many times stuff has crashed then vista trys to shut it down but doesn't and your left with a grayed out window. So you try quiting it again nothing happens, so you try hitting ctr alt del and it doesnt work so their is no way to get the task manager up to force quit the program and you can't get it too shut down. The only thing you can do is pull the plug WTF?

Image thumbnails
    I'm a graphic designer by trade, so the thumbnail viewing is very helpful, when it works. Thumbnail viewing on CDs is hell. It takes a long time, but completely overides doing anything else with the cd, so while its generating 100 thumbnails at 1 a minute you can't open any images copy and paste anything. And even when you turn the thumbnail view off, it still continues to make thumbnails in the background, so you still cant do anything. Crazy!

Internet explorer
    Why wont internet explorer play WMV video files any more? And why does it randomly tell me a web page does not exist or the website may be having difficulties, when I can easily open the page in firefox at the same time?

And why does my microsoft keyboard shortcut buttons just stop working sometimes, I mean who makes this stuff? The glass effect looks nice, but some of the basics just suck. Feel much better getting that off my chest.

• Did they fix the broken file search feature they introduced in XP? Windows 9x's search applet actually defaulted to a sane functionality (finding the files), whereas XP defaults to asking me what type of thing I want to look for every. Single. Time.

Probably not, they seem more interested in adding new "useful" features than making the features they already offer useful.

• @Lingerance said:

Did they fix the broken file search feature they introduced in XP? Windows 9x's search applet actually defaulted to a sane functionality (finding the files), whereas XP defaults to asking me what type of thing I want to look for every. Single. Time.

Probably not, they seem more interested in adding new "useful" features than making the features they already offer useful.

1) Open a folder in explorer.

2) Jab the "Search" button.

3) Swear at the annoying dog and pointless questions.

4) Jab "change preferences" in the search pane.

5) Jab "without an animated screen character".

6) Swear very very loudly when XP insists on showing an animation of the dog WALKING SLOWLY AWAY.

7) Jab "change preferences" again.

😎 Jab "change files and folders search behaviour".

9) Select "advanced".

10) Perform a search (any search) to save your preferences.

11) Smile and be happy. 

• I forgot about that!

The first time I got that animation of the dog actually walking away...

I screamed!

Don't remember exactly WHAT I screamed, but it was something not polite.

• @rc_pinchey said:

@Lingerance said:

Did they fix the broken file search feature they introduced in XP? Windows 9x's search applet actually defaulted to a sane functionality (finding the files), whereas XP defaults to asking me what type of thing I want to look for every. Single. Time.

[snip]

11) Smile and be happy. 

I thought the broken behaviour mentioned was the one where you now have to add search handlers to the registry for new file types.

e.g. at work we have plain text source code in *.ci files in our projects (don't ask.) Asking windows to find text strings in file matching *.ci won't work without a bit of registry fiddling.

• Absolutely zero of the original poster's problems happen to me.

However, i DO have to reset my touchpad speed every time i turn on my machine because it keeps slowing it down on reboot.  I think that's a logitech problem though, I haven't bothered to get around to fixing it because i much more often just hibernate.

Speaking of which, I have problems getting my machine to suspend (s1) when i tell it to, which seems to be related to the java runtime for vista telling me there's an update available.  if i exit that tray icon, it normally sleeps fine.  strange! 

But yeah, the search SUCKS.  I can never actually find the file I'm looking for, which I never had a problem with on XP.  My most anticipated feature of Vista was WinFS, and then they turfed it due to performance issues and rushed this replacement search that blows ass.  Though I'll admit I do enjoy the hybrid command-line style thing; just TYPING "putty" and pressing enter is way faster than finding it on my start menu or whatever.  Ditto for all of the icons I don't use enough to put in my quick launch but still hate to browse to.

• The most "interesting" Vista WTF I had recently was when I first installed, my Microsoft wireless mouse refused to work! It gave me a message saying that the driver (inlcluded with Windows, I had not installed anything except Windows at this point), gave an error saying that it was for "Windows 95 or later" (funny, I thought Vista was later than Windows 95).

In other words Microsoft shipped non-functional drivers for their own hardware with Vista.

The same mouse works OTB in Linux, Mac OS X, older versions of Windows and every other OS that supports USB HID. It would have worked if Microsoft had shippped no specific driver for the mouse and just relied on standard HID, but no, they had to ship a specific driver and then fail to test it. Way to go MS.

• You must have forgotten the secret application compatibility hacking system.

• @rc_pinchey said:

6) Swear very very loudly when XP insists on showing an animation of the dog WALKING SLOWLY AWAY.

Click the stupid animal and it will vanish straightaway. With just a little practice, you can make this feel as if you're kicking it.

• @PJH said:

@rc_pinchey said:

@Lingerance said:

[snip]

11) Smile and be happy. 

I thought the broken behaviour mentioned was the one where you now have to add search handlers to the registry for new file types.

e.g. at work we have plain text source code in *.ci files in our projects (don't ask.) Asking windows to find text strings in file matching *.ci won't work without a bit of registry fiddling.

This is true, but only applies to searching within files; not plain filenames. Also, it can be done in GUI via Manage Computer and then something indexing something services, or whatever. 

It seems annoying, but then again, if I'm looking inside source files using my text editor, I'm really not going to specify *.* as file type. So for Windows, there is some sanity to having to add searchable files manually.

• @r3jjs said:

I forgot about that!

The first time I got that animation of the dog actually walking away...

I screamed!

Don't remember exactly WHAT I screamed, but it was something not polite.

The paperclip turns into a bike. 

• @misguided said:

Absolutely zero of the original poster's problems happen to me.

This is something that I've seen a lot of. As best I can tell, Vista is just incredibly unstable - no two people get the same behaviour from it. It's probably a huge ball of race conditions and invalid assumptions about how software will behave, so even minor variations in hardware and configuration give different combinations of defects. 

• First few days with Vista...4MB Zip file, roughly 200 files within, 2.2Ghz core 2 duo, 2 GB ram machine....

Right click zip file, unzip....estimated time to complete 108 mins!!!

Install 7-zip, unzip, time to unzip...3-5 seconds!!

Yeah, Vista sucks. 

• @asuffield said:

@misguided said:

Absolutely zero of the original poster's problems happen to me.

This is something that I've seen a lot of. As best I can tell, Vista is just incredibly unstable - no two people get the same behaviour from it. It's probably a huge ball of race conditions and invalid assumptions about how software will behave, so even minor variations in hardware and configuration give different combinations of defects. 

It's like Windows ME all over again. Half the people loved it, and for the other half it was unstable junk.

Time for Vista XP. 

• @dhromed said:

It's like Windows ME all over again. Half the people loved it
    That statement is the WTF of the day. I never met [i]anyone[/i] who loved Windows ME. At least Vista works half the time... ME was just broken.

• @Iago said:

@dhromed said:
    That statement is the WTF of the day. I never met [i]anyone[/i] who loved Windows ME. At least Vista works half the time... ME was just broken.

I'd like to call for a quick vote, if I may, so we can support this argument with some rock-solid statistics. I vote for "ME was broken".

That's 100% hatred so far... this makes the ratio of ME haters to ME lovers something in the region of infinity to nil. Sounds about right. 

• @Iago said:

@dhromed said:

I dunno. I used it for quite some time, and didn't have any troubles with it. I still have it on dual boot, in case XP goes nuts.

• @Iago said:

@dhromed said:

My old supervisor loved win me... We ripped the piss out of him every chance we got.

My biggest problem with vista is support for visual studio 2003... I understand not wanting to suport it, I also inderstand that the apps will convert fairly easily for most people... but MS's response if upgrade of app is not an option and you have to use vista... Install Vitual PC and run XP as well...
    Thats just great...

• Vista works great on my Computer. The only thing is thast I cannot use dualscreen when the computer's uptime is less than some 40h. Otherwise it makes my external diplay the main and ignores the fact that it has its own screen built in. It's a laptop.

And I hated ME. 

• One of my gripes with Vista is that coming out of hibernation, it often briefly changes screen resolution. (Usually for under a second.)  But sometimes it stays wrong so I need to normally change it back to maximum resolution.  While that actually takes the same number of clicks as on XP, they are very different clicks and open more windows.  Not happy.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.