Automation industry lacks some automation

• Sorry for the typos. Native I am not. 

Some time ago our company purchased some offline programming tools for Fanuc robots from our Finnish Fanuc importer. They mailed us a CD with the software on it. This software had a 30-day trial period and it needs to be activated to continue using it. This is how the activating process goes down:

1. Open the license manager which ships with the Software.
    2. Take a screenshot of the screen where you have your Software code 1 and Software code 2.
    3. Write down your computers hardware setup and ip-address including all your USB-devices. Remember to write down which device is in which port.
    4. Email the screenshot to Finnish Fanuc-representative which will send the activation request to U.K.-representative which will request the activation codes from U.S.A.
    5. Wait for a couple of days for the Activation codes to be emailed to you.
    6. Make sure the hardware setup and ip-address are the same as before. Good thing you wrote those down. Otherwise you have some combinations to go through.
    8. If some day your Software doesn't work and your get a an alarm saying that the Software isn't activated, don't worry! Just reboot your computer and it'll work again!

I don't know if all this is required only because were in Finland. Probably so.

• Having worked for the US branch of this company....

I know that the US help desk (through which the UK folks would make the request) is only open during normal US business hours (or at least, this was the case when I worked there 12 years ago).  This would be about 0800 GMT-5 to 1700 GMT-8, or about 1200-0100 GMT (I think this would be about 1100 to 0000 your time?)

When I was working there, foreign language proficiency was not something that was asked for.  I did get a few extra calls routed to me (parce que je parle Français un petit peu) but this skill wasn't sought by the HR department.

So, you have a room full of anglophones with no non-English skills, providing customer service for the world, on a US-centric work schedule.  Genius, no?

Now, I don't know why the Finnish rep can't call the US directly (assuming that they are proficient in English).

On the other hand, I see now that the licence-management system has gotten even more paranoid than it was when I worked there.

• The real WTF is that 7 is missing!

• @SurfMan said:

The real WTF is that 7 is missing!

It's not missing - it's the secret step without which it well never work properly! 

• @GettinSadda said:

@SurfMan said:

It's not missing - it's the secret step without which it well never work properly! 

I think that it's reasonable to assume that step 7 is "Profit!".

• I'm going to guess that step 7 is "putting in the USB dongle" needed for some other program.

• Finns always skip the number 7 in counting.  It harkens back to the day when they were slaughtering the Sami in the killing fields of Rovenami.  It has something to do with sacrificing 7 poro for every sami slain to the thunder god of the island in Lake Inari.

• @rbowes said:

@GettinSadda said:

@SurfMan said:

...Which is why it's missing. 

• I am pretty sure "Print out screen shot and take picture of it on wooden table" is missing from those steps.

• @SpoonMeiser said:

@rbowes said:
    @GettinSadda said:

@SurfMan said:

...Which is why it's missing. 

Interesting. Wizards don't count 8 (they prefer using 7b) and Englishmen always using 12b instead of the number between 12 and 14.