Web 2.0 Design Quiz Review



  • Hi, guys,

    I'm new to WTF - though it seems like there are many people with good sense of humor here. Therefore, I thought I would trust you on the following. Me and my team have launched Web 2.0 Design Quiz recently thinking that pretty much everybody on the Web have some knowledge of what Web of 2.0 represents, but nobody knows where to draw the line between Web 2.0 newbies, connoisseurs and experts. That said, we thought we are very much interested in your opinion about this idea of ours.

    So, please, let us know what you think. We thought we would combine an element of irony and seriousness in this quiz with regard to Web 2.0 debate tha's been going on. So, you may consider this a silly joke or your pass to the VIP zone at any web design event (we personally position ourselves somewhere in between) – in any case, the quiz will be fun to take and your reviews will be appreciated!



  • The radio buttons don't work on Firefox 2.0.0.6 w/ noscript. An HTML form should work without javascript.



    edit: All the radios are actually disabled and you have a very deep div tree at one point.



  • You'll get better responses if you don't require email address and web site.



  • Also, sorry, but "incorrect name" reminds me very much of a pop up potpourri article we had a time ago.



  • WTF?



  • My domain has a dash in it. "stratos-online.nl".
    Your form however won't except it. 

    Together with the  stuff people have written above, why do you think YOU know what web 2.0 is.
    I might not know, but i do know it sure as hell isn't about annoying people with javascript. 

     -edit-

    Ah you can just fill in everything with example.com, it will take that.

    yay i'm a web2.0 master, only got 1 question wrong.
    (5. Which one of the following is necessary for Web 2.0? )

    This test sucks.



  • ha ha lolz

     

     

    Wait.
    This is an opt-in email harvester.



  • @stratos said:

    My domain has a dash in it. "stratos-online.nl".
    Your form however won't except it. 

    Together with the  stuff people have written above, why do you think YOU know what web 2.0 is.
    I might not know, but i do know it sure as hell isn't about annoying people with javascript. 

     -edit-

    Ah you can just fill in everything with example.com, it will take that.

    yay i'm a web2.0 master, only got 1 question wrong.
    (5. Which one of the following is necessary for Web 2.0? )

    This test sucks.

     Well, we didn't meant to be a hardcore Web 2.0 knowledge test. At some point we were even poking fun at the term. Everything is going 2.0 on the Web in order to catch up with the latest fashion whilst we can't even agree on the definition! Why not make degrees 2.0 - maybe more people then pursue education?..
     



  •  Well, we didn't meant to be a hardcore Web 2.0 knowledge test. At some point we were even poking fun at the term. Everything is going 2.0 on the Web in order to catch up with the latest fashion whilst we can't even agree on the definition! Why not make degrees 2.0 - maybe more people then pursue education?..

    Then what is the purpose of this quiz?

    Furthremore, are you a guy pretending to be a girl in order to generate an aura of compliance?



  • @Sunstorm said:

    Furthremore, are you a guy pretending to be a girl in order to generate an aura of compliance?

    The Interweb, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI-agents.
     



  • We made the quiz in JavaScript, so it won't work without it - our bad, we admit it. Next time we launch something similar, we'll keep this experience in mind. Thanks for pointing that out.



  • Not at all. I am who I am. If you go to DI Authors page on the blog, you'll find more info on me and my colleague.

     Speaking about the purpose of the quiz, it depends on your attitude towards Web 2.0 argument and sense of humor :)
     



  • @olm said:

    @Sunstorm said:

    Furthremore, are you a guy pretending to be a girl in order to generate an aura of compliance?

    The Interweb, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI-agents.
     

     Well said, olm! Unfortunately, web design industry has been male dominated since the beginning. And though, situation is changing now, the attitude towards women is still rather questionable and suspicious...
     



  • @Helen Walker said:

    Speaking about the purpose of the quiz, it depends on your attitude towards Web 2.0 argument and sense of humor :)

    The thing is, judging by the fact that you're actively promoting people to fill out your quiz suggests that you have a greater reason than 'just for fun'. Generally, one would expect that you want to obtain some kind of enlightening conclusion by asking questions aimed to some goal, but looking at the questions that you present in your quiz, I can't for the love of god figure out what conclusion could anyone possibly take from any kind of answers to those questions. Your quiz doesn't pass off as anything more than one of those personality quizzes so popular on livejournal, where the final result is which pokemon you're most like, only yours is less creative.

    The clash with your active promotion makes me wonder just what kind of insidious real goal do you have for it. Email harvester seems like a good option, because I can't see any advertising on your site.

    On the other hand, it just might be a very badly done quiz. I'm willing to reserve judgement.

     

    On another note, you know what's Web 2.0? Your HTML.

    <div class="sub_main">
        <div class="table">
         <div class="table_row">
          <div class="left">
           <div class="c_t" style="width:750px;">
            <div class="c_l">
             <div class="c_r" style="width:750px;">
              <div class="c_b" style="width:750px;">
                <div class="c_tl">
                <div class="c_tr" style="width:750px;">
                 <div class="c_bl">
                  <div class="c_br" style="width:750px;">
                   <div class="sub_left" style="width:700px;">
                    <div class="head_bg">
                     <div style="color:#8E8E8E;line-height:1.41em;float: left;">

    Great job, you just reimplemented a TABLE tag using DIVs.



  • @Sunstorm said:

    The clash with your active promotion makes me wonder just what kind of insidious real goal do you have for it. Email harvester seems like a good option, because I can't see any advertising on your site.

    Hey, I had to build one not too long ago. I don't think even the client realised what it really was they were asking for.



  • @Sunstorm said:

    Great job, you just reimplemented a TABLE tag using DIVs.


    I'd like to know what generated that. It's nauseating. Sticking with a TABLE is better than hacking DIVs together like that.



  • Have you all looked at the main blog (that is titled a "Forum") ? Blech! I had to back out.

    I also think that photo is fake. An "About" page doesn't confirm identities. Geez.



  • Now that I notice, I think the insidious plot has something to do with the last question. None of the 3 screenshots have any promptly recognizable 2.0ishness about them. They could be looking for which one people like better. The bastards!

    I also think that photo is fake. An "About" page doesn't confirm identities. Geez.

    Not to mention it looks extensively photoshopped even from just looking at the avatar.



  • The answers considered correct in your test show that you think users are semi-literate individuals who can't read a text that doesn't have pictures in it. Saying that icons are important, but simple and plain design is not? And the last "correct" answer almost says "oooooh shiny things!". That's some WTF.

     I think this deserves an article in the main WTF page.

    Oh, and I hope your system doesn't send emails to those who are gullible enough to use their true email addresses there. Otherwise it could be used to fill your own emails (given in the authors page) with your own spam.



  • [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    The answers considered correct in your test show that you think users are semi-literate individuals who can't read a text that doesn't have pictures in it. Saying that icons are important, but simple and plain design is not? And the last "correct" answer almost says "oooooh shiny things!". That's some WTF.

     I think this deserves an article in the main WTF page.

    Oh, and I hope your system doesn't send emails to those who are gullible enough to use their true email addresses there. Otherwise it could be used to fill your own emails (given in the authors page) with your own spam.

    [/quote]

    She said they were making fun of "Web 2.0" 



  • I sleep better now that I have my Web 2.0 Master's Degree.



  • @dhromed said:

    I sleep better now that I have my Web 2.0 Master's Degree.
    Are you using it as a pillow, or did the paper just help you start a cozy fire?



  • @tster said:

    [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

    The answers considered correct in your test show that you think users are semi-literate individuals who can't read a text that doesn't have pictures in it. Saying that icons are important, but simple and plain design is not? And the last "correct" answer almost says "oooooh shiny things!". That's some WTF.

     I think this deserves an article in the main WTF page.

    Oh, and I hope your system doesn't send emails to those who are gullible enough to use their true email addresses there. Otherwise it could be used to fill your own emails (given in the authors page) with your own spam.

    She said they were making fun of "Web 2.0" 

    [/quote]

    Sounds more like she's making fun of people who are into the most modern web developmnent methodologies, and in a rather distasteful way.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.