Oops...

• I was checking why a legal(!) torrent download wouldn't work and was rather surprised about the Server header of the tracker:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: hypercube/1.1alpha tracker/0.1alpha (Wed Dec 29 07:15:17 CET 2004 anakata@cthugha.lan) by anakata [no email anymore, the police took my mail server]
    Content-type: text/plain
    Connection: close
    Pragma: no-cache

• The only people sad enough to use torrents legally are Linux monkeys and WoW players. Which are you?

• @Sunstorm said:

The only people sad enough to use torrents legally are Linux monkeys and WoW players. Which are you?

Yeah, we Linux users are so much sadder than you, with your exciting life throwing pointless and baseless abuse around net forums.

Go dribble somewhere else.

• Wow, you joined just to tell me that! I feel honored.

However, I'm one of you linux using people and I'm quite glad about torrents and all that. Satire aside, what amuses me is that every time that everyone brings up legal torrents, these are the only two examples that people can bring up. Point in case: http://digg.com/tech_news/Comcast_Throttles_BitTorrent_Traffic_Seeding_Impossible (a WTF in itself).

• Well the third option would be legal grey area anime downloads :)

Can't really think of a fourth. Perhaps game patches use torrents too? or that half life program, steam.

• AFAIK, WoW's the only one that does it via torrent officially. Steam actually pays for it's bandwidth.

• @Sunstorm said:

The only people sad enough to use torrents legally are Linux monkeys and WoW players. Which are you?

I've used bittorrent only once (too much hassle with my firewall), when legally downloading Star Wreck, which is neither Linux nor WoW.

• @stratos said:

Well the third option would be legal grey area anime downloads :)

Can't really think of a fourth. Perhaps game patches use torrents too? or that half life program, steam.

I believe Puzzle Pirates uses it. At least, their download jar includes a copy of org.klomp.snark. There's probably a whole bunch of other people who use it and just didn't bother to say anything.

• @stratos said:

Well the third option would be legal grey area anime downloads :)

Id software make use of torrents to distribute patches and clients. Admittedly, this might fall under the Linux thing again, since the biggest downloads are linux clients for games that only have Windows clients on the discs sold in shops.

For example:  http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/

• http://zerowing.idsoftware.com:6969/

Is a better example URL. Sadly, I ran out of time to edit my last post :(

There are both Windows and Linux software being distributed via BitTorrent here.

• @PSWorx said:

I was checking why a legal(!) torrent download wouldn't work and was rather surprised about the Server header of the tracker:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: hypercube/1.1alpha tracker/0.1alpha (Wed Dec 29 07:15:17 CET 2004 anakata@cthugha.lan) by anakata [no email anymore, the police took my mail server]
    anakata is one of the Pirate Bay co-founders, and well, there was a police raid on their servers...