Today's Target - Dumb Question



  • Okay, I'm going to be today's target for humiliation and chastisement.



    I don't know how to use the emoticons in the left pane.



    Yes, you read correctly.



    Are you supposed to drag the things over or what? When I drag them over I get stuff like this: ^o)



    Help please. Someone explain this complex process.



  • Not a dumb question by any stretch. I assume you're using firefox, so here's what you do:



    Find out what the sequence is for the emoticon by dragging it to the
    text box. Once you see what the sequence is, enclose it in brackets,
    [pi], et voilá! You have pizza on your screen.



    I [U] This forum software.



    PS. Occasionally, the forum software gives you the opportunity to fight
    with the formatting when doing this. It can be a real pleasure.





  • @Mike R said:

    Not a dumb question by any stretch. I assume you're using firefox, so here's what you do:



    Find out what the sequence is for the emoticon by dragging it to the
    text box. Once you see what the sequence is, enclose it in brackets,
    [pi], et voilá! You have pizza on your screen.



    I [U] This forum software.



    PS. Occasionally, the forum software gives you the opportunity to fight
    with the formatting when doing this. It can be a real pleasure.







    Of course, it wouldn't work [:^)]



  • @Mike R said:

    @Mike R said:
    Not a dumb question by any
    stretch. I assume you're using firefox, so here's what you do:



    Find out what the sequence is for the emoticon by dragging it to the
    text box. Once you see what the sequence is, enclose it in brackets,
    [pi], et voilá! You have pizza on your screen.



    I [U] This forum software.



    PS. Occasionally, the forum software gives you the opportunity to fight
    with the formatting when doing this. It can be a real pleasure.







    Of course, it wouldn't work [:^)]




    Now it works! [:@]

    WTF? [pi] [U] ???



  • Ooh, I get it, the symbols don't work.



  • Just testing:



    dragged:<:o) ~



    dragged & bracketed: [<:o)] [~]



    typed: <:o) ~



    typed & bracketed: [<:o)] [~]



    Now what is working?






  • Let's see how they work for me. 

    [:)][:D][:O][:P][;)][:$][:'(][:|][:S][:(][H][:@][A][6][8-|][|-)][<:o)][:^)][:-][:#][Y][B][{][8][][um][au][pi][sn][O][co][st][mo][8o|][^o)][+o(][*-)][8-)][C][N][U][^][}][Z][D][G][W][~][&][I][li][ip][ap][E][S]

     



  • Note:  The above is all of the smilies.  I guess only the ones that showed up work. 



  • [:)]



  • Woohoo! [H]



  • Excellent question, and thanks to all the answerers, and here's an even
    dumber follow-up - how do you quote the message you're replying to?



    Copying and pasting, or even highlighting and dragging, results in the text being present, but with no indication of quotation.



  • @endergt said:

    Excellent question, and thanks to all the answerers, and here's an even
    dumber follow-up - how do you quote the message you're replying to?



    Copying and pasting, or even highlighting and dragging, results in the text being present, but with no indication of quotation.




    It's right next to the  'reply' button.



    You may also manually use the [ quote ] BB-standard tags, the usage of which is illustrated by clicking a quote button.



  • @dhromed said:



    It's right next to the  'reply' button.




    damn you're good... wonder why I never noticed that [:$]

    Thanks.



  • @endergt said:

    @dhromed said:


    It's right next to the  'reply' button.




    damn you're good... wonder why I never noticed that [:$]

    Thanks.






    Ok, next dumb question... how/why did my smiley end up with a link?  [:S]



  • @endergt said:





    Ok, next dumb question... how/why did my smiley end up with a link?  [:S]




    Pray to God for that answer.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.