Amazon knows me well



  • Amazon porn



  • 0 results for "Vendetta". Did you mean "vagina"?



  • Regardless of the content of the product, surely it is a WTF that Amazon are saying: "We notice that people that buy product X (has been out for ages) also buy product Y (which is not yet available)...". Are they trying to say that they have some pre-orders? If so they should say that rather than claiming to have sold something that is not yet available!!
     



  • @GettinSadda said:

    Regardless of the content of the product, surely it is a WTF that Amazon are saying: "We notice that people that buy product X (has been out for ages) also buy product Y (which is not yet available)...". Are they trying to say that they have some pre-orders? If so they should say that rather than claiming to have sold something that is not yet available!!

    Their recommendation system is well-known to be kinda broken. It shows you the strongest correlation it can find, regardless of how tenuous that relationship is and without regard for other factors - it almost never gives up and admits that it can't find anything relevant.



  • On a somewhat related note, check out the "Related Searches" box at the bottom of this page on shopping.com.  The first dozen results:

    sex, richard craze, books, porno, the secret, de chicas, six, bücher, erotik, nudist

     

    The front page of shopping.com currently advertises the fact that they sell "Null brands", as well.  Of course, their business model may be the biggest WTF of all...

     They don't actually sell anything.  They're basically just a pay-per-click yellow pages of retailers.  And their product details pages frequently omit critical data, like "audio book" or "large print edition".
     



  • @asuffield said:

    @GettinSadda said:

    Regardless of the content of the product, surely it is a WTF that Amazon are saying: "We notice that people that buy product X (has been out for ages) also buy product Y (which is not yet available)...". Are they trying to say that they have some pre-orders? If so they should say that rather than claiming to have sold something that is not yet available!!

    Their recommendation system is well-known to be kinda broken. It shows you the strongest correlation it can find, regardless of how tenuous that relationship is and without regard for other factors - it almost never gives up and admits that it can't find anything relevant.

     Absolutely. I told Amazon that I already own (read: have a pre-order for) Halo 3 Legendary edition because it recommended it to me mercilessly as a result of buying a Halo book from them.  They then used the "I own Halo 3 Legendary Edition" to recommend I buy Halo 3 Limited Edition and Halo 3.  Really, it's terrible at reccomending stuff.

     (It also once told me a soundtrack was coming out that I might like, and that I was 1,645,345,345 times more likely to buy it than an average buyer.  I still haven't bought it).
     



  • I was 1,645,345,345 times more likely to buy it than an average buyer. I still haven't bought it

    Gee, what are the odds of that happening? You could put that luck to good use at the lottery!



  • I was recommended to buy the latest Harry Potter based on me buying a 2GB flash disk last year. Go figure...



  • Wow.  I preordered 12 Hardcore Sex Films and it said I should buy V for Vendetta.  It must be a strong correlation if it goes both ways.



  • Was it Amazon that originally asked you to rate five or ten items with a "definitely would buy" to "never ever mention this to me again?"  Whoever that was had it exactly backwards for a few weeks because the ratings were going to the webapp as numerics (understandable) and the programmers thought it went the other way.  I had a devil of a time convincing them of this.



  • @Kyanar said:

    Absolutely. I told Amazon that I already own (read: have a pre-order for) Halo 3 Legendary edition because it recommended it to me mercilessly as a result of buying a Halo book from them.  They then used the "I own Halo 3 Legendary Edition" to recommend I buy Halo 3 Limited Edition and Halo 3.  Really, it's terrible at reccomending stuff.

     It does this all the freaking time.  I buy a CD from them, they recommend the import CD, the DualDisc, singles off the CD, etc.  I buy a game from them, it recommends the same game for every other system.  One time I made the mistake of telling it I owned a Playstation.  It's entire recommendation page was accessories.  What use do I have for every single controller made for the PS1?



  • Looks like somebody at theregister got wind of thise: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/21/amazon_adult_vendetta/



  • @Lazy-lump said:

    I was recommended to buy the latest Harry Potter based on me buying a 2GB flash disk last year. Go figure...

    I bought a 2 GB flash disk last year and have no interest in HP whatsoever... TAKE THAT, CORRELATION!!



  • (Shouldn't this topic contain a NSFW warning?)

    The worrying part is that Amazon don't even know the submitter's currency. Well, more realistically, what sort of currency could anyone be using on English-speaking Amazon for which the host OS fails to provide the character for? I don't know if it's poor (default) Unicode, someone who's failed to install the appropriate fonts for his own currency (!) or Amazon are just churning out broken HTML. About.com's French pages are like this -- they generate mis-reported HTML pages where all the accented characters show up as broken on some browsers. I reported to the woman who runs it, but it seems that the tech staff have no intention to fix their site and send back the right charset. I guess it works in IE and that's good enough?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.