"most IMP answers the question"

• we ask our recruiters to use a multiple choice phone screen test on job applicants, to try and reduce the number of morons who actually make it into the building for an interview. one time, one of our recruiters disobeyed his orders and simply let an applicant fill in the answers on a Word document, in his own time. here are my favourite extracts of what we got back:

Q:

1.       What does the first “A” in “AJAX” stand for?

a.       Adaptive

b.      ActiveX

c.       Asynchronous

d.      Atlas

A:

The A in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax</st1:place></st1:City> stands for
    Asynchronous: - meaning that on in internet Programming/Network Programming e.g
    over SSL or Socket programming, Packet or circuit switched with cipher
    encryption based on various algorithms <o:p></o:p>

Multi-Tasking is enabled i.e. the data send to the Server (Remote e.g) does not have to be sent back to the client via protocols s.as TCP/IP,UDP,FTP,Custom…<o:p></o:p>

Enabling paralleling processing/software development introducing all <o:p></o:p>

Sorts of interesting concepts s.as Thread –Pools and Virtual Hosting via the Remote <o:p></o:p>

Server.<o:p></o:p>

Being the next request/task may be requested other interesting issues in Internet programming in SOAP-XML::RPC via proxies to Web Servers:e.g IIS 6.0 in Visual Studio 2005;or Apache HTTP Server in the open source model<o:p></o:p>

/* Asynchronous JavaScript for XML(extensible –Mark Up Language) : :[Serialized /UnSerialized] processing*/<o:p></o:p>

Other issues of Web Design involve XSLT,div-span::CSS  Graphics and GUIdevelopment of WinForms.<o:p></o:p>

At least he got the answer right - i'm not sure what the rest of it was all about though. note the inexplicable C# style comment block.

This is my all time fave:

Q:

On an ASP.NET webform which uses a Master Page, where does the custom content usually go?
    a.    In a Panel control.
    b.    Inside the BODY tag
    c.    In a ContentPlaceholder control.
    d.    In a Web User Control

A:

The Custom Content on a Master Page of a ASP. NET application is a Server side app as indicated by the name it self (Active-Server Page for .NET <o:p></o:p>

And the Custom content  on its Master page separates the <o:p></o:p>

< HTML><o:p></o:p>

<@Script Language =.NET language runat =Server%><o:p></o:p>

<% Code –Section--%><o:p></o:p>

…..[Package(1..n),Interfaces,LibraryFunctions(1..n)Classes,Subrouitnes ,Methods/Functions ::Instance,Constructors::getters-setters]<o:p></o:p>

</Script> <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<Custom Content---%><o:p></o:p>

<BODY> [[!--------Most IMP Answers the Question----]<o:p></o:p>

Web Design-e.g Web Form including controls<o:p></o:p>

e.g.     Auto Event=FireUp.fileext  val=… name =.. style=;<o:p></o:p>

index=; z-value= .. for resolution in pixels .etc…<o:p></o:p>

….Web form with Text Boxes ,Labels Cntrls , Menus ,Radio  Btns , Check Boxes<o:p></o:p>

::all part of the Generic Web Form :defined by value ,name ,reference to e.tc<o:p></o:p>

….<o:p></o:p>

</BODY><o:p></o:p>

</HTML><o:p></o:p>

• Hmm, if I didn't know better, I'd think these guys owned stock in a punctuation company.

• Last time I checked, asynchronous meant that you ask for something to be done and then move on without waiting for the task to be finished.

• I cannot explain it, but I always get this nervous, anxious feeling in my belly when confronted with such utter, indescribable, stupid brainlessness.

• @henke37 said:

Last time I checked, asynchronous meant that you ask for something to be done and then move on without waiting for the task to be finished.

maybe, but the real WTF is that this was a *multiple choice test*. i didn't even want one word answers - i wanted one letter answers.

• @code_incomplete said:

The A in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax</st1:place></st1:City> stands for
    Asynchronous: - meaning that on in internet Programming/Network Programming e.g
    over SSL or Socket programming, Packet or circuit switched with cipher
    encryption based on various algorithms <o:p></o:p>

Multi-Tasking is enabled i.e. the data send to the Server (Remote e.g) does not have to be sent back to the client via protocols s.as TCP/IP,UDP,FTP,Custom…<o:p></o:p>

Enabling paralleling processing/software development introducing all <o:p></o:p>

Sorts of interesting concepts s.as Thread –Pools and Virtual Hosting via the Remote <o:p></o:p>

Server.<o:p></o:p>

Being the next request/task may be requested other interesting issues in Internet programming in SOAP-XML::RPC via proxies to Web Servers:e.g IIS 6.0 in Visual Studio 2005;or Apache HTTP Server in the open source model<o:p></o:p>

/* Asynchronous JavaScript for XML(extensible –Mark Up Language) : :[Serialized /UnSerialized] processing*/<o:p></o:p>

Other issues of Web Design involve XSLT,div-span::CSS  Graphics and GUIdevelopment of WinForms.<o:p></o:p>

At least he got the answer right - i'm not sure what the rest of it was all about though.

Well, it's the proof that he didn't actually get the answer right at all.  Ok, yes, the A does stand for asynchronous, but he clearly has no idea what asynchronous actually means or implies, so he just threw every buzzword and brandname he's heard recently into a big melting pot and figured if he just slopped it all up on the plate, at least some of it would be right.

To me, that means he doesn't know the answer.

@code_incomplete said:

note the inexplicable C# style comment block.

Actually, it may be that he didn't write the answers at all.  The whole thing looks exactly like what you get if you feed a Markov generator from a bunch of technical texts. 

@code_incomplete said:

This is my all time fave:

Q:

On an ASP.NET webform which uses a Master Page, where does the custom content usually go?
    a.    In a Panel control.
    b.    Inside the BODY tag
    c.    In a ContentPlaceholder control.
    d.    In a Web User Control

A:

The Custom Content on a Master Page of a ASP. NET application is a Server side app as indicated by the name it self (Active-Server Page for .NET <o:p></o:p>

And the Custom content  on its Master page separates the <o:p></o:p>

< HTML><o:p></o:p>

<@Script Language =.NET language runat =Server%><o:p></o:p>

<% Code –Section--%><o:p></o:p>

…..[Package(1..n),Interfaces,LibraryFunctions(1..n)Classes,Subrouitnes ,Methods/Functions ::Instance,Constructors::getters-setters]<o:p></o:p>

</Script> <o:p></o:p>

<Custom Content---%><o:p></o:p>

<BODY> [[!--------Most IMP Answers the Question----]<o:p></o:p>

Web Design-e.g Web Form including controls<o:p></o:p>

e.g.     Auto Event=FireUp.fileext  val=… name =.. style=;<o:p></o:p>

index=; z-value= .. for resolution in pixels .etc…<o:p></o:p>

….Web form with Text Boxes ,Labels Cntrls , Menus ,Radio  Btns , Check Boxes<o:p></o:p>

::all part of the Generic Web Form :defined by value ,name ,reference to e.tc<o:p></o:p>

….<o:p></o:p>

</BODY><o:p></o:p>

</HTML><o:p></o:p>

Yeh, that clinches it, he's a bot, I'm sure of it. 

• @DaveK said:

interesting theory - but the "bot" also had a phone conversation with a recruitment agent and tried to arrange an interview at my company! 

(off to google "markov generator" now...) 

• @code_incomplete said:

@DaveK said:

interesting theory - but the "bot" also had a phone conversation with a recruitment agent and tried to arrange an interview at my company! 

Text to speech synthesizers and vice versa aren't that hard to use, these days, and do a decent job at sounding ok.

• @Volmarias said:

@code_incomplete said:
    @DaveK said:

Text to speech synthesizers and vice versa aren't that hard to use, these days, and do a decent job at sounding ok.

you people are weird 

• @code_incomplete said:

megahal 

• Remins me of We'll Be In Touch Maybe.

• @code_incomplete said:

@Volmarias said:
    @code_incomplete said:
    @DaveK said:

you people are weird 

What do you mean by YOU PEOPLE?

• @shambo said:

@code_incomplete said:
    @Volmarias said:
    @code_incomplete said:
    @DaveK said:

you people are weird 

Now that gives the name "Community Server" a whole new meaning... 

• @asuffield said:

@code_incomplete said:

megahal 

See
    also "Mark V. Chaney", famous Usenet trollbot, and
    http://www.eskimo.com/~rstarr/poormfa/travesty.html for the original
    "Travesty generator" (available through web.archive.org if not
    responsive or down).

• @shambo said:

@code_incomplete said:
    @Volmarias said:
    @code_incomplete said:
    @DaveK said:

you people are weird 

What do you mean by PEOPLE?

• Google "Don Lotto".  That's all I'm sayin'.

• @emurphy said:

Google "Don Lotto".  That's all I'm sayin'.

I'll see your Don Lotto and raise you one George Hammond and an Ed Wollman.