Software awards

• For all of you who haven't seen this on digg: http://successfulsoftware.net/2007/08/16/the-software-awards-scam/
    That's WTF indeed.

• So, the author is bitter that his legitimate software gets the same "awards" as his competitor's efforts, and goes about discovering something everyone knows anyway. Where's the WTF?

• @sootzoo said:

So, the author is bitter that his legitimate software gets the same "awards" as his competitor's efforts, and goes about discovering something everyone knows anyway. Where's the WTF?

Read the article again, and this time use the part of your brain that interprets words.

• Considered Harmful

I give this post five stars, our Editor's Choice award, and certify it to be malware-free.

• @sootzoo said:

So, the author is bitter that his legitimate software gets the same "awards" as his competitor's efforts, and goes about discovering something everyone knows anyway. Where's the WTF?

Huh?  Did you read the same article?

• @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

I give this post five stars, our Editor's Choice award, and certify it to be malware-free.

You forgot to actuallly give the thread 5 stars.  Fixed! 

• @PSWorx said:

http://forums.worsethanfailure.com/forums/thread/128054.aspx

Yeah, although I'm glad someone posted it in the sidebar forum too since I don't think the General Discussion gets as many readers.  Hell, I hardly ever read it!   And vertex was nice enough to add the hyperlink in this thread.

OT: 

Now -- just to blame the forum software for my own idiocy, this seems to be the only forum software I've used in recent years that doesn't automatically display hyperlinks.  So I never think to do it, unless I read the post after I'm finished and go back and edit in time. 

• A+++++++++++ thread. Would read again.

• Sorry ... I just occasionally read the general discussion, so I wasn't aware it was posted already.

• @shadowman said:

@sootzoo said:

Huh?  Did you read the same article?

Maybe I'm just more cynical, but this is the part that did it for me:

@TFA said:

My suspicions were first aroused by the number of five star awards I received for my PerfectTablePlan
    software. When I went to these sites all the other programs on them
    seemed to have five star awards as well. [b]I also noticed that some of my
    weaker competitors were proudly displaying pages full of five star
    awards.[/b] I saw very few three or four star awards.

Emphasis mine. That didn't strike you as "my software wasn't five stars, but certainly THEIRS wasn't five stars, wtf"?

But mostly, who cares about ratings? his conclusion is that it's a huge ad-fueled circle jerk, which accurately describes most of the web these days. 

• @sootzoo said:

[Various assumptions about the article in question]
    Stop pretending to read it and just read it!

• @Welbog said:

@sootzoo said:

Sorry, I must've come here from Slashdot.  :)

• @sootzoo said:

@Welbog said:

@sootzoo said:

If you dont like reading, how about giving the software in the Article a try (Not the TablePlan one... The new one...)?

Its not very big, and the installation is a breeze...

• @rdrunner said:

@sootzoo said:

@Welbog said:

@sootzoo said:

If you dont like reading, how about giving the software in the Article a try (Not the TablePlan one... The new one...)?

I tried installing it, but it wouldn't run. I assume it's a problem with my computer, not the software. 5 Stars!

• @rdrunner said:

@sootzoo said:

@Welbog said:

@sootzoo said:

Swarm, swarm!

Look, I'm busy working on front page-worthy material. Reading half an article at least makes me twice as productive as everyone else reading the site at work...

• The article mentions Softpedia, who I find amusing. They've dug up my Mac software from my site for me (or someone has, I've never submitted anything to them) and I always get the 100% Malware Free or whatever certification, despite being Mac software. Is there such a thing as Mac malware? I think there have been one or two cases of adware/spyware on the Mac, but how would Softpedia be able to figure out that my apps (or anyone's apps) don't phone home? And there are no modern Mac viruses yet that I know of.

When Apple first introduced .Mac, one of the things you got for your $99/year (along with pokey space and mail storage and the Finder's mind-blowingly slow WebDAV) was anti-virus. Mac anti-virus. Again, the point of that was? How many viruses were in the AV database? Assuming it had definitions for all 20-odd real Mac viruses, I can't see the use of a subscription to that each year when the virus database is never going to change!

OTOH, I never use download sites these days, as I never trust any Windows software. I only go on trusted recommendations from friends or, sometimes, a Google search result if the developer's site looks safe enough. I would have liked to have searched SourceForge for Windows software but they decided in a continuation of their infinite wisdom that platform filtering in searches is not worthwhile. So all I turn up is pages of Linux and Mac software and nothing useful :-P

Maybe this has been since fixed ... I can't even switch mirror now as the mirror switching relies on their DHTML crap ("thickbox" IIRC) that actually holds up Firefox with a script timeout error just browsing search result pages ... They managed to outdo Webshots at being painfully slow, although I am at a complete loss over Webshots as it renders very slowly even with all the JavaScript turned off. I don't know if their HTML is just that appalling, I'll have to check.)

OK, that's more than far enough off-topic for one evening.

• @Daniel Beardsmore said:

When Apple first introduced .Mac, one of the things you got for your $99/year (along with pokey space and mail storage and the Finder's mind-blowingly slow WebDAV) was anti-virus. Mac anti-virus. Again, the point of that was? How many viruses were in the AV database? Assuming it had definitions for all 20-odd real Mac viruses, I can't see the use of a subscription to that each year when the virus database is never going to change!

Three words: "Word macro viruses".

• @Carnildo said:

Certainly plausible, although strangely enough I am not aware that Mac users get bothered by macro viruses. Weird. You'd think they would be.

• @Carnildo said:

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

Also worth noting that I run virus scanners on many linux-based servers. What are they scanning for? Windows viruses that are being passed through them; the scanner is basically immune to subversion by windows viruses since it can't run them. No reason why that wouldn't work just as well on a mac.

• well technically it is great software, it does EXACTLY what it says it will... thats rare.