*this* is how you get Windows users to switch to Mac...

• ... make their ads not work in Windows:

Quicktime is broken! 

• I like how the video is titled "Party is Over"

• I hate those freakin' commercials anyhow. They are filled with more mis-information then if Michael Moore directed GWB's A&E biography.

• @matthewr81 said:

I hate those freakin' commercials anyhow. They are filled with more mis-information then if Michael Moore directed GWB's A&E biography.

I hate them too.  I was trying to watch them so I could write a blog entry ranting about them, using specific examples with quotes.  Guess they foiled that plan.

• At least I'm not the only one that is ranting about Apple today...

• I like the ads.

And who uses Windows anyway?

• @Heron said:

@matthewr81 said:

I hate those freakin' commercials anyhow. They are filled with more mis-information then if Michael Moore directed GWB's A&E biography.

I hate them too.  I was trying to watch them so I could write a blog entry ranting about them, using specific examples with quotes.  Guess they foiled that plan.

I don't like the commercials either, and I'm certainly not an Apple user or fan, but you have to hand it to them:  Apple has always managed to have ad campaigns that everyone is talking about.

It's genius, in  that sense. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

• Well I like them.  Sure they are pretentious.  Sure they are obnoxious.  Sure they insult the intelligence of the viewers.  And that's why I like them.

• My rant is up at [url]www.whyimbitter.com[/url] if anyone is interested 😉

• Here are some key questions:
    --> Have you ever installed a graphics card?
    --> Of the time you spend on the computer, do you spend the majority in one program or suite?
    --> Do you regularly need to be logged in with Administrator/root privileges?
    --> Do you expect to troubleshoot driver conflicts?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then -- although this may seem hard to believe -- [i]Apple is not marketing its computers to you[/i]. They're happy if you want to give them money to get one of their machines, but those advertisements are not made with you in mind at all, except possibly as an object of mirth. Same goes for me, and I use Macs exclusively. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we are largely irrelevant to Apple.

I was in college when Steve Jobs came back to Apple in the late 1990s. When the various announcements started coming out, I -- like all the other computer geeks -- assumed that Apple was about to die. No techie would buy anything like what they were describing, except maybe as a toy. When the iMac came out, I was in despair. It was woefully underpowered and practically impossible to upgrade, and it didn't have any of the old-style Mac ports. (No floppy drive either, but since Apple embraced booting from CDs before PCs did that wasn't such a big deal.) Obviously doomed.

Well, I was wrong, and no mistake. Or rather: I was wrong about who the iMac was for. I would never buy one. But I wasn't [i]supposed[/i] to buy one. Instead, the iMac sold about as many machines in its first quarter, if I recall correctly, as any other product line, without causing the sales of any of the other lines to drop significantly. (A quick search on Google offers some confirmation that my memory isn't far off, although I can't find the specific numbers.)

Apple isn't putting TV commercials out there for geeks, or even the reasonably computer-savvy. We already know what we want, and we know how to shop for it, and we don't really care very much if there are driver conflicts to resolve or hardware upgrades to be done, because we know how to do those. Apple sells a closed system in which many -- possibly most, depending on your point of view -- of the major bugs that plague beginners are nonexistant or reduced to minor annoyances.

Apple is selling to people like the woman I work with. She displays a lack of computer skills which surpasses even my father, who was still using an electric typewriter exclusively as late as 1999. She has Vista on her laptop, and she has just about every problem these commercials make fun of. She hates it. She has already noted that my Macbook doesn't have these problems. When she buys a new computer -- which, admittedly, will probably not be for a couple of years, since her laptop is brand new -- she will probably get a Mac.

That's Steve Jobs' plan, and whether it appeals to you or not, it's working.

• @Rodyland said:

Sure they are pretentious.  Sure they are obnoxious.  Sure they insult the intelligence of the viewers.
    It's called "advertising".

• @Heron said:

My rant is up at [url]www.whyimbitter.com[/url] if anyone is interested 😉

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/light_text_on_dark_background_vs_readability/

• My eyes start to feel weird after reading white on black. And when I look somewhere else, I feel like having window blinds in front of my eyes because all the lighter text lines are 'burned in' somehow.

• @The Vicar said:

Here are some key questions:
    --> Have you ever installed a graphics card?
    --> Of the time you spend on the computer, do you spend the majority in one program or suite?
    --> Do you expect to troubleshoot driver conflicts?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then -- although this may seem hard to believe -- [i]Apple is not marketing its computers to you[/i]. They're happy if you want to give them money to get one of their machines, but those advertisements are not made with you in mind at all, except possibly as an object of mirth. Same goes for me, and I use Macs exclusively. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but we are largely irrelevant to Apple.

GRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHHGRAHH H WAAARRGGHHH WUUAUAHAHHAAA AARRGUUUGUHHHHGHG BLOOOAARRRRGGHHH 

If, in the first two paragraphs of your essay, you are seriously suggesting that the developer market is "irrelevant" to Apple, then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to read through the rest of your mess without repeatedly slamming my head into the keyboard.

... and this is from a hardcore Windows guy and .NET programmer.

On another note, I saw that "cancel or allow" Apple commercial before I ever tried Vista, and got pissed off about the stupid exaggerations they were apparently making. Imagine my surprise when I found out they weren't exaggerating at all.

• @bobday said:

If, in the first two paragraphs of your essay, you are seriously suggesting that the developer market is "irrelevant" to Apple, then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to read through the rest of your mess without repeatedly slamming my head into the keyboard.

Yep. You'll just have to either skip my post or restrain your head. Apple doesn't particularly care about third-party developers. As I said: they don't mind if we want to tag along, but we just aren't a market they want to spend a lot of effort on. (Although they have made it a lot easier to become a member of the developer site since Jobs came back; you can get their development environment for free, for one thing, which wasn't the case pre-Jobs. There was a time when the cheapest non-student development environment for the Mac still cost hundreds of dollars.) Consider:

--> No cheap, expandable machines of the sort geeks desire (Want to upgrade your graphics card later? Be prepared to shell out $2500 minimum for a Mac Pro.)

--> No new machines capable of running older OS versions for testing (Want to support Mac OS X 10.3? eBay, here you come!)

--> Cancellation of the Yellow Box (the compatability environment from Next which allowed Openstep programs to run on Windows NT; Apple said it would be out for Mac OS X, even had contracts for providing it, then cancelled it)

--> Elimination of Cocoa for Java (If you want to create a Mac program with all the bells and whistles provided by the OS, you have to use Cocoa. Since they stopped updating Cocoa for Java, all new features have required Objective C, which is an arcane language with lots of annoying syntactical incompatabilities with every other object-oriented language any modern programmer knows. If you swap between Objective C and C++/Java several times a day, your head will explode.)

I can't really blame them for not going after developers and geeks. We're the hardest market segment to please, and since we want everything as cheap as possible there's no margin.

And the return from having lots of developers?

--> Games. There aren't enough games for the Mac. Well, big-name games -- there are plenty of small games. That's because there aren't enough users to justify doing dual-development on big projects. (See "cancellation of the Yellow Box" above.) If you have a big share of the home market, then companies will crawl over broken glass to develop for your platform. Gee, maybe Apple's "get lots of home users ASAP" strategy isn't so dumb, after all!

--> Competitors for Microsoft Office! Windows has 'em. An overwhelming majority of Windows users use Office anyway. Apple wrote iWork essentially so that if Microsoft suddenly discontinues Mac Office (which would be a bad business decision since it's made them a heck of a lot of money, but the threat is always there) there will still be something for Mac users to open Office documents with. (Yes, there's OpenOffice.org. A very nice program on Linux, and quite good on Windows because the main developers cozied up with the Windows developers and gave them lots of assitance. So far there have been at least two attempts by Mac developers to talk to the main developers about doing the same thing for the Mac, and the response was basically "go suck an egg." Probably won't change any time soon, and until it does, OpenOffice.org on the Mac will have the same not-quite-right feel that Quicktime for Windows does, only moreso.)

--> Lots of little crappy shareware programs that 99.999% of users will never care about, as with Windows! I'm sure Apple can hardly wait for that.

@bobday said:

... and this is from a hardcore Windows guy and .NET programmer.

I never would have guessed. 😛

@bobday said:

On another note, I saw that "cancel or allow" Apple commercial before I ever tried Vista, and got pissed off about the stupid exaggerations they were apparently making. Imagine my surprise when I found out they weren't exaggerating at all.

Depends on what you're doing, but the woman I was talking about is [i]still[/i] mystified by those alerts.

• @The Vicar said:

...Apple doesn't particularly care about third-party developers...

I actually read your whole post this time, but it was still pretty long, so I had to get a new keyboard for this reply.

I think there's a reason Microsoft has such an overwhelmingly large share of the OS market, and it has something to do with fat men running around on stage screaming "developers, developers" the availability of third-party software. I think you mischaracterize the nature of the software available and downplay the importance of games (a massive market that doesn't rely on dubious "upgrades" to make money).

Apple may not do as much as Microsoft to capture developers, but I'm sure Jobs knows MacOS wouldn't be doing nearly as well without, for example, Photoshop being available.

@The Vicar said:

@bobday said:

Depends on what you're doing, but the woman I was talking about is [i]still[/i] mystified by those alerts.

Aye, my point was that Vista seems like a bit of a trainwreck. All the new, interesting Microsoft technologies are available for XP anyways. 

• @bobday said:

I think there's a reason Microsoft has such an overwhelmingly large share of the OS market, and it has something to do with fat men running around on stage screaming "developers, developers" the availability of third-party software. I think you mischaracterize the nature of the software available and downplay the importance of games (a massive market that doesn't rely on dubious "upgrades" to make money).

It has far more to do with them going around to everybody who sells computers and saying: "Wouldn't it be a shame if you suddenly started having to buy Windows licenses at the retail price instead of the wholesale one? Do not sell anything that competes with Windows, and ship Windows preinstalled on every box".

This is not an exaggeration, it's a crime for which they've been convicted (and then Bush pretty much let them off, after receiving a large campaign donation). They've loosened their grip a little in recent years, but still give significant financial advantages to people who play along.

• > If you have a big share of the home market, then companies will crawl over broken glass to develop for your platform.

>and the response was basically "go suck an egg."

> it has something to do with fat men running around on stage screaming "developers, developers"

HAHA

Great imagery.

• @bobday said:

Apple may not do as much as Microsoft to capture developers, but I'm sure Jobs knows MacOS wouldn't be doing nearly as well without, for example, Photoshop being available.

Carbon is an updated version of the pre-Mac OS X Toolbox APIs. If you have an old Mac program, you can't swap one for the other directly, but you can redo the program for Mac OS X with minimal changes instead of rewriting from scratch. It has analogous data structures and functions, and keeps most of the old names for things. The downside is that you don't get hooks into many of the new OS features, or only get them with a lot of work.

I can't say whether he was telling the truth or not, but back in college, the rep from Apple who came to give demos and things mentioned that Carbon was basically written for Adobe by Apple, because otherwise Adobe was going to drop the Mac. If there's any truth at all to that, it certainly explains why, when Carbon was first introduced to developers, they had a guy from Adobe showing off a Carbonized Photoshop as a demo app.

In any event: Apple needs Adobe (for the time being) so they have to give them more support. The rest of us aren't feeling the love at all. Adobe isn't exactly just "a developer."

That may be why Apple brought out Core Image -- they're probably hoping that someone will write, if not a Photoshop killer, then at least a Photoshop Elements killer, which would shut off a major revenue stream for Adobe. By making Core Image an API instead of a program, they can claim to Adobe that they aren't competing, but the API contains a lot of the stuff that simple people associate with Photoshop, and I bet you that no tears would be shed at Apple if someone managed to take over a bunch of Adobe's turf.

• @The Vicar said:

To be fair, this applies to a lot of windows users whether they know what that means or not, thanks to crappy third-party software.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.