Enterprise Manager Choices

• Enterprise Manager

Oh, Enterprise Manager, you cad.

See how it's giving me a choice of what to do? Good exception handling! Good catch. Here are my options:

1. Clicking Yes- this causes Enterprise Manager to try to reconnect to the database and then bring up the same question again.
    2. Clicking No - this causes Enterprise Manager to try to reconnect to the database and then bring up the same question again.

Did I mention this is a modal dialogue?

*Bang head*

Also, we're all locked out of source control because we forgot to actually buy a license for it.

• @quamaretto said:

Also, we're all locked out of source control because we forgot to actually buy a license for it.

This seems quite common to me. In one of the major banks in Switzerland, the middleware transporting data back and forth between their e-banking system and their many decentralized storage places stopped working, and when they feverishly went in search of the problem, they found hidden in some log file the hint that their license ran out. Why, it worked all year, why would anybody care to acquire a new license. Motto: never change a running system...

• @TheRider said:

@quamaretto said:

This seems quite common to me. In one of the major banks in Switzerland, the middleware transporting data back and forth between their e-banking system and their many decentralized storage places stopped working, and when they feverishly went in search of the problem, they found hidden in some log file the hint that their license ran out. Why, it worked all year, why would anybody care to acquire a new license. Motto: never change a running system...

I've seen something simular. Our production server was slowly getting slower over days, and after 4 days it was so slow that it was unbearable. Thus, we loged in remotely and rebooted it. (Which wasn't a problem as it wasn't a large scale banking system or anything) When the sysadmin tried to find the cause, he loged in remotely, checked all the logs, and found nothing. And thus we kept rebooting it for a few months. Then finaly, I had to get to the server room to physicly reboot the testing system (Managed to crash it good remotely). At which point I turned on the monitor, which was still connected to the production server, and noticed a few 1000 popup messages with "Your licence for program X has ended, please renew" At which point program X was not running, and thus restarted, and another popup happend, every second. For some reason the popup messages took a whole lot of CPU power, and by disabling program X (which clearly nobody used) we had a stable production server again.

I saved the day, and got to smack an sysadmin. Which feels good ;-) 

• JDEdwards used to bug you like that.  Invest $1Million implementing ERP software, forget a (very cheap) liscense renewal and everyone gets popups when they try to open it on their local machine and you're locked out of important company data.