Status bar mystery meat in IE

• I was excited to get a new system image for my computer at work a few
    weeks ago. Windows XP Pro and IE 6 and all that cool stuff. I just
    noticed something weird about IE:

What are all those blank boxes in the status bar?! No indicator icons when they're in their 'normal' state, no tooltips. The only one that does anything while I'm on a normal web page is the second one, which apparently gives me a context menu for the popup blocker if I right-click it. Because this button is conveniently lalbeled with absolutely nothing, I have to right-click them all if I forget which one it is. I suppose the others are for stuff like SSL and whatnot, when the browser is in those modes.

Is it just me, or does this arrangement just not make sense?

• starting from left to right:

[0] - ?

[1] - popup blocker uptions

[2] - Manage IE Add Ons

[3] - ?

[4] - Certificate Information for the page you are vieweing.... (a lock when connected via ssl, for example)

but yeah, this makes no sense at all....

• @Brendan Kidwell said:

I was excited to get a new system image for my computer at work a few
    weeks ago. Windows XP Pro and IE 6 and all that cool stuff. I just
    noticed something weird about IE:

What are all those blank boxes in the status bar?! No indicator icons when they're in their 'normal' state, no tooltips. The only one that does anything while I'm on a normal web page is the second one, which apparently gives me a context menu for the popup blocker if I right-click it. Because this button is conveniently lalbeled with absolutely nothing, I have to right-click them all if I forget which one it is. I suppose the others are for stuff like SSL and whatnot, when the browser is in those modes.

Is it just me, or does this arrangement just not make sense?

Double-clicking will give results for some of them. Numbering from the left, starting at 1, the 5th box will give a message about security certificates for the site you're at. I cannot get the 4th box to do anything after a few moments of effort. The 3rd box brings up a window regarding add-ons. Again, nothing from the 1st box.

The design of this is awful.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.