Interesting styling choices to say the least

• I found this interesting JS application (a game actually) that supports a number of interesting "features" full source: 

http://www.a1javascripts.com/games/bgate/bgate.html

Some of the magical features include random indentation at points, two elses for about 50 is ifs (no else ifs).  Every variable is stored in a form, all the visible ones are editable, oh and for kicks the code is double-spaced. A sample:

[code]

if (1 > yourlife) {

alert("YOU ARE DEAD")

document.game.experience.value = "DEAD"

document.game.money.value = 0

document.bgColor="black"

return false

}

if (randum == 2) {

document.game.badguy.value = "Rabbit"

document.game.enemyattack.value = 1

document.game.enemyarmor.value = 8

document.game.badlife.value = 6

}

if (randum == 3) {

document.game.badguy.value = "Funky Chicken"

document.game.enemyattack.value = 2

document.game.badlife.value = 8

}

[/code]

PS: For some reason code bbtags don't work, what should I be using instead?

• randum.

nuff said. 

• I have some coworkers who double space their code. For the most part I don't know why. I can think of reasons to block code into paragraph-like chunks with whitespace fore and aft, but why double space every line?

• @Lingerance said:

I found this interesting JS application (a game actually) that supports a number of interesting "features" full source: 

http://www.a1javascripts.com/games/bgate/bgate.html

Some of the magical features include random indentation at points, two elses for about 50 is ifs (no else ifs).  Every variable is stored in a form, all the visible ones are editable, oh and for kicks the code is double-spaced. A sample:

if (1 > yourlife) {

alert("YOU ARE DEAD")

document.game.experience.value = "DEAD"

document.game.money.value = 0

document.bgColor="black"

return false

}

if (randum == 2) {

document.game.badguy.value = "Rabbit"

document.game.enemyattack.value = 1

document.game.badlife.value = 6

}

if (randum == 3) {

document.game.badguy.value = "Funky Chicken"

document.game.enemyattack.value = 2

document.game.badlife.value = 8

}</pre><p>&nbsp;PS: For some reason code bbtags don't work, what should I be using instead?<br></p><p></blockquote></p><p>An actual &lt;pre&gt; tag in HTML might work, testing.</p><p>Anyway - obviously it's double-spaced so if they need to add something later they don't have to change all the line numbers.&nbsp;</p>

• Random832! Your avatar! What have you d

• @Welbog said:

I can think of reasons to block code into paragraph-like chunks with whitespace fore and aft

That's what I do. I also include a comment at the top of the "chunk". Double-spacing every line would just give me a headache and make it really hard to look through.

• @PSWorx said:

randum.

nuff said. 

More like "Randum and Randumber" if you ask me!

• SOS DAN 4EVA

Also I am likink bstorer's avatar and also psworx's. Very clever u guise.

• i like 

if (1 > yourlife)

just one of those odd quirks.  Nothing wrong with it, just most people I know would have written

if (yourlife < 1)

kind like:  for(int i = 0; strLength > i; i++) , there's nothing wrong with it, but who writes like that?

• ::performs an UPDATE query on the universe so as to reverse Random832's icon::

(...man, I really need a life. And I just switched to the Nagato-san icon a couple weeks ago too.)

• @codeman38 said:

::performs an UPDATE query on the universe so as to reverse Random832's icon::

(...man, I really need a life. And I just switched to the Nagato-san icon a couple weeks ago too.)

You could try a greasemonkey script. That comes pretty close to UPDATE'ing the universe. 

• @codeman38 said:

::performs an UPDATE query on the universe so as to reverse Random832's icon::

I hear that'll work better if executed from an IP based in Canada.

• Canada? That's gotta be fake!

• Finally managed to get it to reverse as suggested... the old one got all pixel-y anyway, I couldn't even change it, then I had to defeat some kind of giant bug and then suddenly changing it worked.

Weird. 

• Doublespacing happens when you save text in editors that are using different line endings. (if editors aren't very smart)

• Speaking of broken text editors, here's a WTF I stumbled upon today: you can't undo a find/replace all in Notepad. It only undoes the last one changed. Not to mention that it takes a noticeable amount of time to complete on a file that isn't even very big!

• @Welbog said:

I have some coworkers who double space their code. For the most part I don't know why. I can think of reasons to block code into paragraph-like chunks with whitespace fore and aft, but why double space every line?

They're probably liberal arts students. All liberal arts papers are double spaced.

• This code looks a lot like the stuff I wrote long before I hit puberty.