Pssst! Want a cheap CDN?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

• kills Dumbledore

This would break for me. On the lowest level of content filtering without turning it off entirely (supposedly only blocking dangerous phishing type sites), Vodafone blocks all the main internet archive sites

• @Jaloopa said in Pssst! Want a cheap CDN?:

This would break for me. On the lowest level of content filtering without turning it off entirely (supposedly only blocking dangerous phishing type sites), Vodafone blocks all the main internet archive sites

That's a fairly strong :wtf: in and of itself. I've seen worse, though. When the late Mrs Cynic and I moved from 🇬🇧 to 🇫🇷 , we switched from PAYG on Vodafone to PAYG on the (at the time) closely allied SFR for mobile phone service with data. Bad move.

This was the days when Windows Mobile 6 was still a thing, and we both had the Google Maps application on our WM6 phones. (Samsung i900 slabs(1))

So, when we switched to SFR, it never occurred to me to ask them about parental controls since we didn't have any children, and both she and I were clearly not children ourselves.

Turns out that SFR's in-built controls blocked access to the Google Maps app's map-data servers, which wasn't even the most :trwtf: part of this sorry episode.

No, that dubious title was reserved for what happened when we went to see SFR to get the block removed. They told us that it would be necessary to write to Customer Service, on actual slices of dried tree purée in order to remove the block. 😡 🤬 🤬 🤯

We went downstairs to Orange, who were perfectly happy to provide contracts without filtering on the spot.

(1) The i900 rated high on the :wtf_owl: scale itself. It had a resistive touch screen with WinMob6, and therefore benefited strongly from having a stylus to get the needed precision. Where in the phone was the stylus receptacle?

You're joking, right?

There wasn't a slot in the phone for it - it came with one of those string loop things on the cap for the stylus, and a "dangly charm" doobrie in the corner of the phone. You want to use the phone? Pull the stylus out of the cap, use it, put it back, and hope that nothing persuades it to go walkies, and that the string loop never degrades far enough to break.