Performance optimization time!

• Argh, editor ate my post and I don't feel like retyping the whole thing.  It really hates safari.

Short story: I was told to look at a slow server (Load average hovering between 50-55 constantly!).  I couldn't find the problem, went to work on another problem, and ran into the load problem.  It was caused by this running every time a page was viewed:

<?php
    include './config.php';

$conn = mysql_connect($host, $user, $password) or die("Could not Connect");
    $db = mysql_select_db($db) or die("Could not Select Database");

$query = mysql_query("Select * from content where id>37");
    for($i=0; $i<mysql_num_rows($query);$i++)
    {
            $id = mysql_result($query, $i, 'id');
            $intro = trim(mysql_result($query, $i, 'intro'));
            $full = trim(mysql_result($query, $i, 'full'));
            $intro = str_replace("'", "\'", $intro);
            $full = str_replace("'", "\'", $full);
            $intro = str_replace('"', '"', $intro);
            $full = str_replace('"', '"', $full);
            $intro = str_replace("\n", "<br />", $intro);
            $full = str_replace("\n", "<br />", $full);
            echo $id . "<br />";
            echo $full;
            if($intro != "") $q = mysql_query("update content set intro='". $intro. "' where id='". $id. "'") or die('DANGER WILL ROBINSON in intro: ' . mysql_error());
            if($full != "") $q = mysql_query("update content set full='". $full. "' where id='". $id. "'") or die('DANGER WILL ROBINSON in full: ' . mysql_error());
    }
    mysql_close($conn);

?>

• Oh, the pain, the pain.

• Yeah, sure why not fix the db data, every singe page load, instead of not corrupting it in the first place?

• NOTES: Server load very low (<10). We can take advantage of the free time by using it to optimise the database instead.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.