Large webpages are all the rage

• Take note of the large size of the main page at http://www.deborahjeanepalfrey.com/
    But there's not much content there, nor a lot of excessive font changes, so where does the size come from?

Line breaks.

3 917 547 extraneous line breaks, to be precise.

• Fucking fuck.

It's bringing FFX and firebug to its knees. 

• According to FF's "View Source", the source for the page is 356,546 lines long.
    And that number has wrapped around. It's actually far, far longer than that. In fact I froze FF when I scrolled to the middle, clicked, and pressed "right arrow".

God Damn. 

EDIT: Heh, and FF quotes the page size in kB because no-one working on FF ever expected to load a 4MB html page: 4,197.28 kB (4,298,011 bytes)
    Thank god it's using unix line endings, the page would be 8MB with Windows' CRLF!

• @Thief^ said:

According to FF's "View Source", the source for the page is 356,546 lines long.
    And that number has wrapped around. It's actually far, far longer than that. In fact I froze FF when I scrolled to the middle, clicked, and pressed "right arrow".

God Damn. 

EDIT: Heh, and FF quotes the page size in kB because no-one working on FF ever expected to load a 4MB html page: 4,197.28 kB (4,298,011 bytes)
    Thank god it's using unix line endings, the page would be 8MB with Windows' CRLF!

Not so fast, it's actually a repeated concoction of 11 CR's (0x0D) followed by one LF (0x0A). With lines of actual source occasionally interspersed.

• That's insane, if she gets any visitors at all she must have one hell of a bandwidth bill.

How do you create such bad source, you'd have to hold return down for ages... how does it go unnoticed by anyone.

"wow George our site is taking a while to load" "yeah network must be busy".

Pity it hasn't got a 'designed by' on it

• @bairy said:

That's insane, if she gets any visitors at all she must have one hell of a bandwidth bill.

That's another thing, I actually found it in slashdot's firehose. I voted it up.

• Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.deborahjeanepalfrey.com Port 80

• @shambo said:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.deborahjeanepalfrey.com Port 80

That. Has made my day.

• I think we pwnd it.

• Anyone got a copy of the orignal anywhere?

• @Bob said:

Anyone got a copy of the orignal anywhere?

The page seems to go up and down. Try refreshing it.

I'm sure as heck not going to host a mirror :) 

• @bairy said:

That's insane, if she gets any visitors at all she must have one hell of a bandwidth bill.

Well, now that it's been slashdotted, I think she's going to find out. 

• I have to admit it's a more effective defense against the godless right-click menace. It would take forever to steal this woman's content.

• Google has a cache of some of the pages, including this one which is still a whopping 250k. Viewing the source is a bit easier but still took up my cpu 100% for over a minute until I crashed it.

• It seems to have been fixed now. :(

• It does, I wonder if somewhere, some coder is looking for a new job. There are still quite a few br tags at the bottom of the source.

• Clearly a runaway script gone bezerk, but it's all fun until someone looses half a terabyte from their bandwidth quota.

• Wow... Looks like the original issue is fixed, but the HTML is still ugly. Just look at this:
    <font
    color="black" face="VERDANA,ARIAL" size="1">&copy; <i>2007<small><small><small><small>,&nbsp;</small></small></small></small></i></font><small><small><font
    style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; text-transform: none;"
    color="black" face="" size="2"><small><small><strong>Deborah Jeane Palfrey</strong></small></small></font></small></small><font
    color="black" face="VERDANA,ARIAL" size="1"><i>. All rights reserved.</i></font>

@bairy said:

It does, I wonder if somewhere, some coder is looking for a new job. There are still quite a few br tags at the bottom of the source.

Not just that, they've even got strange indentation :P

I noticed this:
    <!-- Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Netsential.com Inc. All Rights Reserved. info at netsential dot com -->
    I think that company may be responsible - Their website has a similar HTML style (ie. UGLY) :P

• @Daniel15 said:

Wow... Looks like the original issue is fixed, but the HTML is still ugly. Just look at this:
    <font
    color="black" face="VERDANA,ARIAL" size="1">&copy; <i>2007<small><small><small><small>,&nbsp;</small></small></small></small></i></font><small><small><font
    style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; text-transform: none;"
    color="black" face="" size="2"><small><small><strong>Deborah Jeane Palfrey</strong></small></small></font></small></small><font
    color="black" face="VERDANA,ARIAL" size="1"><i>. All rights reserved.</i></font>

@bairy said:
    It does, I wonder if somewhere, some coder is looking for a new job. There are still quite a few br tags at the bottom of the source.

Not just that, they've even got strange indentation :P

I noticed this:
    <!-- Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Netsential.com Inc. All Rights Reserved. info at netsential dot com -->
    I think that company may be responsible - Their website has a similar HTML style (ie. UGLY) :P

They must be using Netscape Navigator's HTML Editor, it does this sort of crap. I wonder what they charged her for the site? 

• @rev said:

Archive.org has the original

WOW that completely froze everything up! Even in the current version theres still this at the end of the page

<br>

<br>

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>