YouTube video bloat

• BINNED

What's the story with log(1 + 2 + 3) = log(1) + log(2) + log(3)?
    I barely touch youtube and I certainly don't watch videos like this, so no clue why it was recommended alongside something completely unrelated…

But the WTF here is not recommendations. It's that this video is 10 minutes long. I could work out why that is true in about a hundredth that time. What the hell could someone say about this for ten entire minutes?

Does anything else happen?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTMBrUutfk

• Resident Tankie ☭

@kazitor at least he tells the reason for this "quirk" quite straight away, at 1.10. Even then, you have to take out ~20s of needless intro, and info on how logarithms work in general. I haven't watched the video any further.

I hate 99% of YouTubers. I think they should be hung by their balls. Petulant twats unfunnily trying hard to be funny, pathetic attempts at entertainment that makes you long for the staid TV of years past.

• BINNED

Upcoming coder challenge: find other sets of integers for which ∑n = ∏n

sample output:

:trollface:

• @admiral_p Indeed. There are some who show interesting stuff and manage to keep my interest by keeping to the topic. Like a channel about 3D printing where he's always showing his train of thought, where he gets the ideas from, what the pitfalls are and what the actual product looks like.

Plus, I don't have to skip the entire first minute or two because of "Oh, we're so cool! Subscribe! And do this! And did you know about completely unrelated? Blah..."

A short intro is fine, asking me to subscribe at the end is also fine. Begging at the beginning is not.

• @kazitor said in YouTube video bloat:

But the WTF here is not recommendations. It's that this video is 10 minutes long.

There was a time where 10 minutes was the ideal length for YouTube's algorithms. I don't know if/when that changed.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@kazitor said in YouTube video bloat:

Does anything else happen?

The quality of Matt Parker's videos has deteriorated of late...

• Banned

@Parody said in YouTube video bloat:

But the WTF here is not recommendations. It's that this video is 10 minutes long.

There was a time where 10 minutes was the ideal length for YouTube's algorithms. I don't know if/when that changed.

That's why I never watch videos between 10 and 11 minutes long. Filters out 90% of that crap.

• 🚽 Regular

@admiral_p said in YouTube video bloat:

I hate 99% of YouTubers. I think they should be hung by their balls. Petulant twats unfunnily trying hard to be funny, pathetic attempts at entertainment that makes you long for the staid TV of years past.

Sounds to me like you're watching the wrong youtubers.

• @admiral_p said in YouTube video bloat:

I hate 99% of YouTubers. I think they should be hung by their balls.

From a Christmas Tree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujQPcNM_Qs

I feel that it's necessary to point out that this one is less than 20 seconds long.

• @kazitor said in YouTube video bloat:

But the WTF here is not recommendations. It's that this video is 10 minutes long. I could work out why that is true in about a hundredth that time. What the hell could someone say about this for ten entire minutes?

These videos are not really about giving one answer, more about hearing someone talk about random stuff for 10 minutes so you can have some distraction while you eat, and maybe learn something as a bonus.

However, after typing that... I'm remembering my high school math classes, and 10 minutes per concept would have been 10x faster than we were going.

• :belt_onion:

@admiral_p said in YouTube video bloat:

Petulant twats unfunnily trying hard to be funny, pathetic attempts at entertainment

That pretty much sums up 99% of YouTube.

When YouTube first started it was mainly used by the overly vain, Hey-Look-At-Me crowd. Then word got out that you could "monetize" your crappy videos and make a lot of money. A couple of years ago it was claimed that there were people making over a million dollars a year from YouTube.

And so the Gold Rush began. And now everyone wants to be a YouTube Star. Ignoring the fact that they don't have anything remotely interesting to say.

• Banned

@El_Heffe that's one thing. But what amazes me the most is that those nobodies with nothing to say still get tens of thousands of views.

• @Gąska said in YouTube video bloat:

what amazes me the most is that those nobodies with nothing to say still get tens of thousands of views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Pf6zEcoyU

Consider the fact that this video got 700 million views, and it's just one example among thousands like it. Doesn't seem so hard now.

• 🚽 Regular

Here's a recent (read: relevant) thing. TL;DR: YouTube basically requires you to be as clickbait-y as possible while also maintaining long enough lengths to accommodate multiple ads for maximum revenue in order to be at all successful as a channel these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsa9DqmId8

• @Parody said in YouTube video bloat:

it did not. the 10minute mark is still relevant.

• @Gąska well, if the market is large enough (contains enough customers) almost anything will be of interest to some people.

10k views sounds like a lot... until you realize it's 0.001% of the 100mil customers, and even smaller percentage of all video views per day combined.

• Banned

@sh_code 0.001% sounds like very little, until you realize there are millions of YT channels, and most don't have anything unique to offer.

• I use Presonus Studio One as a DAW. At some point, I accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut that put the app in a weird mode and I couldn't figure out how to get back to normal. I looked it up online, and instead of giving me a little five-word single-paragraph entry on the proper keyboard shortcut, there was a 20-minute video tutorial that didn't get to the point until 16 minutes in. The one piece of information that was actually important was only 5 seconds long and buried in the middle. :facepalm:

• @admiral_p said in YouTube video bloat:

@kazitor at least he tells the reason for this "quirk" quite straight away, at 1.10. Even then, you have to take out ~20s of needless intro, and info on how logarithms work in general. I haven't watched the video any further.

Except, it's actually YouTube's fault, because they prioritize these videos, so YouTube earners have to make their videos this way.

And the thing is that it's low hanging fruit. People are addicted to knowledge. Not intelligent knowledge, not wise knowledge, just straight up anything knowledge. So, throw in a little bit of knowledge, give the appearance of providing more than you are, and bam, people are hooked as they watch during meals during travel and any downtime they have. Endorphins and such, yadda yadda.

• 🚽 Regular

Upcoming coder challenge: find other sets of integers for which ∑n = ∏n

sample output:

:trollface:

l = [];
    while (true) {
        l.push(0);
        console.log(l);
    }