Nero = Stacker/Drivespace?



  • Wow... Great deal. Install part of Nero, get a free 1.3gig of space on your very own drive!

     

     



  • @MarcB said:

    Wow... Great deal. Install part of Nero, get a free 1.3gig of space on your very own drive!

     

    <img snipped="true"> 

    Of course, if they used an unsigned type (like they should have), you would end up with a feature you couldn't possibly install anywhere as it would require (max of int64 or whatever) - 1300MB which I doubt any drive can do yet ;) . I guess if you spanned a partition across a massive SCSI/USB/SATA disk array... Not exactly worth it really...



  • You mean max of uint64? Which is ... 17 179 869 184 GB. Max of uint32 in bytes is 4 GB, which will fit on a drive. 1300 MB will also fit on pretty nicely.



  • You mean to tell me you don't have an anti-matter hard drive?


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    I've seen this happen when you go to modify an existing installation.  It brings up a dialog similar to the original install, and if you choose to remove some components that were already installed, it gives a negative result because you are actually freeing up space.  It would be nice if it rephrased it in that case, but it's not incorrect.

    I guess I'll take the OP at his word that this is a new installation, and indeed a legitimate WTF.



  • @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    I've seen this happen when you go to modify an existing installation.  It brings up a dialog similar to the original install, and if you choose to remove some components that were already installed, it gives a negative result because you are actually freeing up space.  It would be nice if it rephrased it in that case, but it's not incorrect.

    And even then, 1.3 GB for some video editing software is a bit excessive, no?



  • People are actually still using Nero? After version 6 it became a huge pile of dogshit.

     I'm just trying to cop some Kobe Tai DVDs, nah mean? I don't need my fecking burning software to install a search box in my taskbar.
     



  • Yep. Totally fresh install. I'd have downloaded a lesser version, because out of the 12 or so (I ain't going to rerun the installer now to count) choices, I kept 2. But there are no other versions for download. You either grab the installer for the full version (trial or otherwise), or you go use someone else's burning software.

    1.3gb for video editing is pretty heinous, especially since that one feature by itself was shown to take up 2gb with the "subfeatures". I guess 1.3gb for the plugins or whatever it is, and 700mb for the software. Yowza. Talk about bloat. It's even worse when you consider the downloaded installer .exe was... 171Mb. Helluva good compressiona algorithm in there.


    As for the search bar stuff, does that mean you never ever do custom installs of software? I never do anything BUT custom. Doing a default install is how crap like that gets there. At least going the custom route gives you an opportunity to see if you can opt out of installing the crapware. Ok, with some apps they'll crap on your system no mater what you do, but there are some semi-decent vendors out there who'll honor you choice to not pollute your system. Why would I want an ask.com bar anyways? I use google for everything anyways.
     



  • @bobday said:

     I'm just trying to cop some Kobe Tai DVDs, nah mean? I don't need my fecking burning software to install a search box in my taskbar.
     

    Amen brotha! 



  • @Brother Laz said:

    @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    I've seen this happen when you go to modify an existing installation.  It brings up a dialog similar to the original install, and if you choose to remove some components that were already installed, it gives a negative result because you are actually freeing up space.  It would be nice if it rephrased it in that case, but it's not incorrect.

    And even then, 1.3 GB for some video editing software is a bit excessive, no?

    Not at all.  Consider the amount of information in a single uncompressed image.  Now consider a series of such images, and bear in mind that quality video is the equivalent of 32 frames per second.  It is actually rather amazing that reasonably good video can be processed in this much space.

     



  • The 1300 MB is for the software, not the uncompressed video data ;)



  • @rjnewton said:

    @Brother Laz said:

    @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    I've seen this happen when you go to modify an existing installation.  It brings up a dialog similar to the original install, and if you choose to remove some components that were already installed, it gives a negative result because you are actually freeing up space.  It would be nice if it rephrased it in that case, but it's not incorrect.

    And even then, 1.3 GB for some video editing software is a bit excessive, no?

    Not at all.  Consider the amount of information in a single uncompressed image.  Now consider a series of such images, and bear in mind that quality video is the equivalent of 32 frames per second.  It is actually rather amazing that reasonably good video can be processed in this much space.

     

    a) Almost no-one uses uncompressed video (even a high proportion of professional systems now used compressed video)

    b) 32 frames per second? Not on this planet! 


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.