Zoho.com

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Background:

CRM biz Zoho left millions of customers fuming on Monday when it briefly lost control of its critical Zoho.com domain name, bringing its services to a grinding halt.

It sounds as though some phishing emails were sent using Zoho's customer messaging services, and the registrar was fed up with it.

"Zoho was suspended after repeated contact requesting them to take action against phishing emails. They didn’t, so we had to suspend them," the note read.

We can see why Vembu was not impressed. We contacted Tierra to ask about its decision to cut off a software-as-a-service company with 5,000 staff, roughly 40 million users globally, and an estimated $400m-plus in annual revenues, from the internet based on what appear to be a few unanswered emails.

The main telephone number listed on Tierra's website has been disconnected. When we got through to the San Diego-based company on a second number, we were told that no one there would answer our questions.

"We can't respond to queries about this domain name. Have a good day," said a woman before abruptly hanging up. The domain has since been restored after several hours offline.

There isn't a tea-cup small enough for this storm IMHO; I hadn't even heard of them before this.

• 🚽 Regular

@ben_lubar Their website is amazing:

0_1537863110066_2568cae6-2e22-4ee3-b784-b100ac5c99b3-image.png

A better question would be why a service that apparently makes money is using a fifth-rate registrar? I'm guessing the answer is that they were the lowest for {{d.price.formatMoney(2)}}

• I've used Zoho briefly in a past life - it's not a bad product from what I've seen, and I tend to see references to them in a few places, so they're not that small of a company (as evidenced by the number of employees/customers).

TRWTF is that apparently they were shut down because of 3 (three) complaints for spam, and at least according to the company 2 of them were addressed and the 3rd was pending investigation.

• @Cursorkeys They signed up with it when they were a garage company, and have very very awful risk-management processes so never realized they were putting their entire business behind a company that couldn't even keep it's phone connected. There are professional-level registrars (CloudFlare runs one, and if you're really big like Disney-level you can hire MarkMonitor, the registrar so good Google uses them despite Google being a registrar themselves.)

Since Tierra refuses to give any statements, we just have to go by Zoho's statement that they received exactly 3 complaints from Tierra, 2 of which were closed and the third of which was still under investigation. My guess is Tierra was so incompetent they were sending emails to the wrong address, and assuming Zoho wasn't answering them.

• 🚽 Regular

I know of this site. A few years ago I was contracted to integrate the CRM to their site via API. During the discovery phase, I discovered they didn't have an API. The contract was cancelled soon after.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said in Zoho.com:

@Cursorkeys They signed up with it when they were a garage company, and have very very awful risk-management processes so never realized they were putting their entire business behind a company that couldn't even keep it's phone connected. There are professional-level registrars (CloudFlare runs one, and if you're really big like Disney-level you can hire MarkMonitor, the registrar so good Google uses them despite Google being a registrar themselves.)

Since Tierra refuses to give any statements, we just have to go by Zoho's statement that they received exactly 3 complaints from Tierra, 2 of which were closed and the third of which was still under investigation. My guess is Tierra was so incompetent they were sending emails to the wrong address, and assuming Zoho wasn't answering them.

Interesting, thank you. I'd heard of MarkMonitor before but I didn't know what they did.

• @Cursorkeys said in Zoho.com:

Interesting, thank you. I'd heard of MarkMonitor before but I didn't know what they did.

You can't afford them.

• Took me a while to realize this wasn't about "Zombo.com".

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PJH said in Zoho.com:

a software-as-a-service company with 5,000 staff, roughly 40 million users globally

ZoWho?

@PJH said in Zoho.com:

I hadn't even heard of them before this.

Quite.

• @loopback0 said in Zoho.com:

@PJH said in Zoho.com:

a software-as-a-service company with 5,000 staff, roughly 40 million users globally

ZoWho?

@PJH said in Zoho.com:

I hadn't even heard of them before this.

Quite.

It's been mentioned here and there:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/search?term=zoho&in=titlesposts

• @loopback0 said in Zoho.com:

ZoWho?