Ask a silly question?

• <FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Found this on StickyMinds.com forum (it is a question about testing from some newbie in India)</FONT>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>TEST CASES
    </FONT>
    <FONT face=Arial size=2>Posted On:</FONT> <FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>9-Aug-05 at 3:05
    You have written the test cases and part of them are executed and after 1 week next build comes that time, how u know that which all test cases are covered by looking in the testcase document</FONT></FONT>

<FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial>[:#]</FONT></FONT>

• exaaaaaaaaaactly...............

• Can I ask a silly question: huh?

-Chris

• It's an anagram perhaps ?

• @accurity said:

<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">Found this on StickyMinds.com forum (it is a question about testing from some newbie in India)</font>

<font face="Arial" size="2">TEST CASES
    </font>
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Posted On:</font> <font size="2"><font face="Arial">9-Aug-05 at 3:05
    You have written the test cases and part of them are executed and after 1 week next build comes that time, how u know that which all test cases are covered by looking in the testcase document</font></font>

<font size="2"><font face="Arial">[:#]</font></font>

I think my head exploded.

My best guess as to what this means is: You gave me test cases, after one week I have run some of then. When the next build comes how do I know which ones to run again?

Or it could just be code for "All your base are belong to us"... Who knows.

• Heya all, I've been reading the site a bit but finally got around to posting.

I don't see why this is a silly question... the dev is saying that:

A test case document was written against the current build of the app, if a new build is released then how can you be assured that all test cases have been covered for the new build as well?

I am going with my gut that someone didn't bother putting date/timestamps on additions to the test case doc or information on which build the document was written to test and that this dev is calling them on it.  I could be wrong.

• Okay, this is pretty simple.  Remember the Star Trek episode with Harry Mudd, not "Mudd's Women," but the other one, with all the androids?  Remember how they shut all the androids down by being completely illogical?  (Classic.)  Well, that's what's happening here.  A bunch of morons who can't get real jobs while the fully qualified people are in the way are trying to explode our brains by using non-sensical language.  Once we're out of the way, they take our jobs.  Don't try to figure them out, just ignore them, perhaps they'll go away.

• @bugmenot said:

Okay, this is pretty simple.  Remember the Star Trek episode
    with Harry Mudd, not "Mudd's Women," but the other one, with all the
    androids?  Remember how they shut all the androids down by being
    completely illogical?  (Classic.)  Well, that's what's
    happening here.  A bunch of morons who can't get real jobs while
    the fully qualified people are in the way are trying to explode our
    brains by using non-sensical language.  Once we're out of the way,
    they take our jobs.  Don't try to figure them out, just ignore
    them, perhaps they'll go away.

Is this Star trek Classic you're talking about? I don't remember any such multi-android episode of TNG.

• @dhromed said:

@bugmenot said:

Okay, this is pretty simple.  Remember the Star Trek episode
    with Harry Mudd, not "Mudd's Women," but the other one, with all the
    androids?

Is this Star trek Classic you're talking about? I don't remember any such multi-android episode of TNG.

It'episode 2x12, titled "I, Mudd", look here:

http://www.treknation.com/episodes/tos/season2/i_mudd.shtml

cu

• @bugmenot said:

A bunch of morons who can't get real jobs while the fully qualified people are in the way are trying to explode our brains by using non-sensical language. 

<FONT face="Courier New" size=2>who would do such a thing?</FONT>

• @bugmenot said:

Okay, this is pretty simple.  Remember the Star Trek episode with Harry Mudd, not "Mudd's Women," but the other one, with all the androids?  Remember how they shut all the androids down by being completely illogical?  (Classic.)  Well, that's what's happening here.  A bunch of morons who can't get real jobs while the fully qualified people are in the way are trying to explode our brains by using non-sensical language.  Once we're out of the way, they take our jobs.  Don't try to figure them out, just ignore them, perhaps they'll go away.

So basically you are saying that because someone has difficulty speaking English as a second language in a country where practically every border you cross has a unique culture and language that they're "a bunch of morons" that are out to "take our jobs" that you would like to "go away."  Do I understand you correctly?

I've worked with a lot of people from India in various jobs throughout the years.  Every one of them has been hard working, intelligent, and both technically and business savvy.  The ones I've worked with spoke, on average, 5 different languages.  That's about 4 languages more than the average American speaks, last time I checked.  So... I can kinda see how they might have a little difficulty with English every once in a while ;)

Please see: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart

Granted the article is about illegal immigrants and not offshoring (which is perfectly legal even if I can't make myself agree with it on a political level).  The premise is the same, however.

• I think the use of the letter u in place of the three-letter word you
    in something that's semi-professional truely is what puts them into the
    moron category.

I personally understand people who do not speak english natively, and
    generally when they write or talk they are usually at least
    intelligible.

The hallmark of the moron: "ho r u? im gr8."

• Answer to that is simple:

Step One: Attend English language school.

• @Mike R said:

I think the use of the letter u in place of the three-letter word you in something that's semi-professional truely is what puts them into the moron category.

I personally understand people who do not speak english natively, and generally when they write or talk they are usually at least intelligible.

The hallmark of the moron: "ho r u? im gr8."

I don't disagree with you that people really should stop doing this in message boards, e-mail, etc.  I can completely understand it if you're lazy and you're typing a SMS on a cell phone (although I still spell out everything and use proper punctuation even when I do this).  If you want people to take you seriously, avoiding "trendy" colloquialisms in communication is an awful good start.

That said, I still don't think that is a good criteria for immediate dismissal of someone as a moron.  I happen to have the 10th numbered copy of a computer security paper (marked "Confidential" because it had not been released when I got it) from a very intelligent, well-spoken computer security expert that I had met at a conference (he was a presenter).

He wrote on it "gr8 to hook up with u in Omaha" and signed it for me.  I can hardly dismiss him as a moron as the paper he wrote was impressively well edited and researched.  Guess it all falls back on "never judge a book by its cover."

• @icelava said:

Answer to that is simple:

Step One: Attend English language school.

My last post on the subject, I promise:

This isn't such a simple answer, after all.  There are plenty of people in America that attended English language school and can't communicate professionaly...  I see stuff on www.msnbc.com all the time that clearly didn't go through rigorous editorial review before it was posted!

• @AtomicTesting said:

This isn't such a simple answer, after all.
    I didn't list down Step Two ;)