Initiative Q - Money from nowhere?

• @pie_flavor said in Money from nowhere?:

@initiativeq said in Money from nowhere?:

@stillwater said in Money from nowhere?:

@initiativeq Ben, How do you have time to be on a forum like this when you're trying to get a product off the ground. If anything, Mad respect for time management skills. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

This is the first forum to discuss Q (remember we haven't officially launched yet, just sent the link to a few friends), so it's a great way for us to collect feedback.

My feedback is that it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. All of the worthlessness of cryptocurrencies, with none of the independence and guarantees.

Read the Crypto section in https://initiativeq.com/FAQ
    The ideas is to provide independence and guarantees from governance rather than cryptography (like governments do), and that allows you to build a currency that anyone can use without constantly fearing their life savings can be erased any minute.

• @carnage said in Money from nowhere?:

@mrl said in Money from nowhere?:

@initiativeq Ben, How do you have time to be on a forum like this when you're trying to get a product off the ground. If anything, Mad respect for time management skills. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

This is the first forum to discuss Q (remember we haven't officially launched yet, just sent the link to a few friends), so it's a great way for us to collect feedback.

Oh yes, this forum is great for feedback.

Well, you get pretty candid feedback, and any flaws (real or otherwise) with your ideas pointed out very thoroughly. :D

What I got so far is valuable. No complaints.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@carnage said in Money from nowhere?:

Well, you get pretty candid feedback, and any flaws (real or otherwise) with your ideas pointed out very thoroughly. :D

What I got so far is valuable. No complaints.

Where did we fail?

• Considered Harmful

@pie_flavor said in Money from nowhere?:

My feedback is that it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. All of the worthlessness of cryptocurrencies, with none of the independence and guarantees.

The ideas is to provide independence and guarantees from governance rather than cryptography (like governments do), and that allows you to build a currency that anyone can use without constantly fearing their life savings can be erased any minute.

No. Their life savings (assuming this becomes popular) can absolutely be erased any minute. All you have to do is shut down the servers and say 'fun while it lasted, smell you later'. There may be an uphill battle because cryptocurrency is independent of governments, but it's also independent of everyone else. Whereas with Q, Q remains the authority. If they say you don't have money, you don't have money. If they say you have money, you have money. Your account exists entirely on their whims. Whereas cryptocurrency is built on blockchain and therefore all transactions are publicly verifiable and more importantly the public verification is part of the transactions existing in the first place.
    You say you solve the same problems as banks, but in the end banks still deal in good old ยค. It can't count as thievery to say 'actually you have less internet bucks now' until you verifiably own it in the first place, and that's not possible with internet bucks. Blockchain solved that by making it impossible for anyone to steal without having majority control over the network.

• @benjamin-hall said in Money from nowhere?:

[... laundry ...]
    Edit: that was about 4 years ago.

Found this from 9 years ago.

@sockpuppet7 said in Money from nowhere?:

We have it for parking meters on shitholistan. I guess it can easily happen in backwaterstan too. It's not rocket surgery.

Not yet in Bumblefuck County about an hour away from work, but the Capitol Wasteland's sprawl will claim it eventually, and bring with it new meters.

@scarlet_manuka said in Money from nowhere?:

Have you never bought anything from overseas?

I have, and customs and tariffs have far outweighed currency exchange fees for added costs.

@onyx said in Money from nowhere?:

The alternative for those, however, exists. You can get a device to put in your car and it will communicate with the toll booth and open the ramp for you automatically as long as you have credit remaining. You technically don't even need to stop with those (which is why they didn't go for cards I guess, it speeds stuff up).

Several toll roads here require those devices, and don't take any other form of payment. And they already have a cabal they're part of.

• @twelvebaud said in Money from nowhere?:

The alternative for those, however, exists. You can get a device to put in your car and it will communicate with the toll booth and open the ramp for you automatically as long as you have credit remaining. You technically don't even need to stop with those (which is why they didn't go for cards I guess, it speeds stuff up).

Several toll roads here require those devices, and don't take any other form of payment. And they already have a cabal they're part of.

Here in Florida, almost all of our toll roads are going cashless. They take pictures of your license plate and bill you that way. You can put a transponder in your car attached to an account--that way they just direct debit from that account (which you can set to refill with a certain amount at a threshold, ie "put $10 more in when I'm under $10). Transponder toll fees are lower (about 75% of the bill-by-plate fees). That way traffic keeps flowing at almost a normal pace.

• @jaloopa said in Money from nowhere?:

Everyone is issued with a basic iPhone at birth

Oh, just kill me now!

• @initiativeq said in Money from nowhere?:

Of course, but having a payment network with an exclusive currency is what allows us to get wide adoption.

My opinion is it's exactly opposite. As a consumer, why should I put any trust in an exclusive currency? Cryptocurrencies have tried - I have less than zero trust in them! (We have several threads in the forum about the massive practically-daily breaches they keep incurring)

@pie_flavor said in Money from nowhere?:

No. Their life savings (assuming this becomes popular) can absolutely be erased any minute. All you have to do is shut down the servers and say 'fun while it lasted, smell you later'. There may be an uphill battle because cryptocurrency is independent of governments, but it's also independent of everyone else. Whereas with Q, Q remains the authority. If they say you don't have money, you don't have money. If they say you have money, you have money. Your account exists entirely on their whims. Whereas cryptocurrency is built on blockchain and therefore all transactions are publicly verifiable and more importantly the public verification is part of the transactions existing in the first place.
    You say you solve the same problems as banks, but in the end banks still deal in good old ยค. It can't count as thievery to say 'actually you have less internet bucks now' until you verifiably own it in the first place, and that's not possible with internet bucks. Blockchain solved that by making it impossible for anyone to steal without having majority control over the network.

Everything you said applies to every bank, payment provider, PayPal etc. Q is not unique in that aspect. Governance and law are what protects the account owners, and it's currently much more reliable than cryptocurrencies - many people lost their bitcoins. Few lose the money in their bank account.
    We, however, have a dedicated currency, and that could be manipulated the same way irresponsible governments fund their expenses by printing money. That's why we will give away that right to an independent committee chosen by all Q stakeholders.

• @onyx said in Money from nowhere?:

It's like being fed to the lions and almost no one comes back?

0_1529502588175_9e6e9948-c17b-42f0-9eb5-a8674f2f0dd6-image.png

• @dcon said in Money from nowhere?:

Of course, but having a payment network with an exclusive currency is what allows us to get wide adoption.

My opinion is it's exactly opposite. As a consumer, why should I put any trust in an exclusive currency? Cryptocurrencies have tried - I have less than zero trust in them! (We have several threads in the forum about the massive practically-daily breaches they keep incurring)

Because you could go buy bread with it, and you could sell it to the Q monetary committee for US$. See more in the Economic Model page.

• @boomzilla said in Money from nowhere?:

Even if Initiative Q is wildly successful, it would be more than 10 years until it is used everywhere. Wireless internet should be ubiquitous by then.

Powered by cold fusion!

Fixed for reality level.

Seriously, people forget how FUCKING BIG the US is (and Russia, and others). There are vast tracks of land that will never have wireless internet - unless we get full global satellite service.

• ๐Ÿšฝ Regular

@groaner said in Money from nowhere?:

0_1529378307546_wat.png

wat

Did you break causality again? Every time this happens, there's a huge mess to clean up, and I always have to do it with no help from anyone else. And nobody ever remembers because of the timey wimey stuff that messes with their memories.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@kian said in Money from nowhere?:

As for security, chip cards at least are about as secure as a phone can reasonably be (need to know a pin to unlock), and more importantly, don't run out of batteries.

And if I have a brain-fart and muck up my credit card PIN too many times, the worst that happens is the account locks.

Or if it was a do-everything-with-smartphone, I'd lose access to my phone, contacts, internet, all other forms of payment, identity, etc.

Several toll roads here require those devices, and don't take any other form of payment.

Here in CA, the Golden Gate bridge. (The other bridges still have cash lanes - but FasTrack is cheaper! And I love the bridge on 680 - you don't even slow down!)

• Trolleybus Mechanic

They would upgrade quickly if all consumers had an alternative they preferred.

Do you see the critical flaw in your plan?

"they" will:

• prefer the existing system OR
    • fragment and all prefer a different system OR
    • prefer to game whatever system presented to death, and continue on with existing stable systems.

๐Ÿ‘

• @luhmann said in Money from nowhere?:

Antwerp

I always loved how "The Antwerp" was a monster in Quest for Glory.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said in Money from nowhere?:

"The Antwerp"

The football/soccer club?

But step 1 is what makes them maybe possible.

But I remind you again, step 1 is: "associate our brand with a giant pyramid scheme that lies to people about how much money they'll ever get from it".

I really really don't think that's as valuable as you seem to think it is.

• @stillwater said in Money from nowhere?:

He's a "Social Media Expert", this is the kind of shit they do. This and arguing with Wendy's on Twitter.

That's why everybody makes fun of job listings for "Social Media Experts".

Even if Initiative Q is wildly successful, it would be more than 10 years until it is used everywhere. Wireless internet should be ubiquitous by then.

Hahahaha right.

I think most people would prefer to get rid of their wallet and replace it with a single RFID tag on their keychain, or merge into their smartphone.

Do you have evidence? Have you studied the issue?

Excellent questions, that are discussed in detail in the Economic Model page. One important point is that Qs are released gradually to match economic activity, and can be sold to Q's monetary committee for ~$1.

Awesome. I wanna sell my Qs. Give me my money. Where's the link to that.

... hypothetically, since you don't have one yet.

Oh we have plenty of feedback.

For example, starting a business based on "I think people don't want cards" or "I think people want to pay with their phones" is bullshit if those thoughts aren't backed by any actual research.

And building a critical mass for X when nobody even knows exactly what X is is really dumb. If your business can't survive without a critical mass, it can't survive period. (Again: I bring up the example of Klout, which I hope you guys have studied.) It reminds me of the old classic from one of the earliest bubbles: "A company for carrying on an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is". That's exactly what you're doing right now.

But the most important feedback I have for you is: I want my goddamned money. Where's my fucking money? I got you 5 email addresses, you owe me $60,000 or something ridiculous, pay up.

@hardwaregeek said in Money from nowhere?:

VISA don't need us to tell them about it. They already know how to do it, but they can't, because it requires building a new network from scratch, and they don't know how to get everyone to move to the new payment network.

That seems improbable. ISTM that if a payment processor with the reputation and clout of VISA told their merchants, "We're setting up a new network that's more secure and with lower fees," there would be a stampede to the new network. Customers would be forced to move, because eventually the old one would stop working.

Why would there be a stampede? What's the rush? Every seller will wait to see that others are moving, before making the investment.

Two reasons, one of which is right there in bolded text. Lower fees; the merchants would save money, and cutting costs is a strong motivation. Second, Visa can force them to. "We're building a new network that is more secure and has lower fees. If you want to continue accepting Visa payments, you have until date to adopt the new system because the old one will be discontinued on date."

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Wireless internet should be ubiquitous by then.

:smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_open_mouth_closed_eyes:

Are you even fucking AWARE of what the world is like? Even if you manage to buy out every single major telecom and get them to actually provide ubiquitous, wireless internet to everyone, everywhere-- how do you propose to PAY for it? Here's a challenge. Pull up whatever location you are currently at on Google Maps. Now start zooming out until you can see your city borders. Notice the zoom level. Now keep zooming out a few more levels until you see green. Scroll over as needed to avoid the ocean. Okay?

Now how are you going to fill all those spaces with wireless internet? Now answer the same question for every country on the planet, since this is a "global currency".

Exactly - Initiative Q is about building a payment system that isn't concerned with barriers to entry.

Except for creating a globally-stable wireless internet that won't go down, and getting every citizen on the planet a smartphone and data plan. And getting hundreds of million of people to sign up. And actually creating the currency. And getting it accepted by every government on the planet. And getting every citizen to convert their existing monies into Qs based on the common rate of ???. And preventing any hostile takeover of your corporation so the global currency doesn't get run by Disney. And finding a way to survive a multi-day power outage.

It's all nice to say "not concerned", but the only way to not be concerned is it have everything solved upfront, or being incredibly fucking stupid.

I guess you're right in these extreme cases, but we can do better for the other 99.9%

There are currently 7 billion people (give or take a few) in the world.

You're proposing to let 7 million people go without the ability to participate in commerce?

Additionally, in small amounts you could allow transactions when internet is down.

So now you've added a whole other level of complexity not addressed by anything you've said so far. What is a small amount? If there was supposed to be a central server or something for validating transactions, does everyone now have to run a copy of the server's logic for these offline transactions? Who is responsible for transmitting the transactions when connected? How long until the offline transactions become stale? What if the transaction is NEVER completed?

How much is "small"? How many small transactions are allowed? How do you enforce this? What's to keep someone from double-spending? Or turning off wifi and nickle/diming an account dry, without ever tripping off an online security system?

What does a fraudulent transaction even look like?

What if someone does an offline transaction, then demands a refund or cancellation, but the buyer is offline?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I also don't see how any new currency could make this simpler

Do it with bitcoin and you'll have to stand around for ages while the transaction completesโ€ฆ

• Trolleybus Mechanic

What will you do when Q currency is traced to buying and selling child porn?

What will you tell the US when they find Q currency is being used to fund terrorism?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

:facepalm:

You launched a currency plan without ever getting feedback?

All of the worthlessness of cryptocurrencies, with none of the independence and guarantees.

Tether's the same damned thing. It's a "cryptocurrency" that's not distributed, not blockchain, not peer-to-peer, theoretically pegged to the US Dollar (although they've never actually proved they have enough dollars in the bank to back-up their 2.5 billion issued Tethers).

(The point of it is to let exchanges buy and sell cryptos with "US dollars" but not have to deal with actual US dollars which requires they do crazy things like, for example, prepare tax documents for the IRS. AFAIK, Coinbase is the only exchange right now that does the legwork so they don't have to rely on fake scammy Tethers to operate.)

It's also widely considered a scam by almost everybody, and the number one biggest risk to cryptocurrencies in general because when Tether goes down (and it will go down), it'll take several big exchanges with it.

• @mrl said in Money from nowhere?:

Where did we fail?

Remember he got mad that I made fun of his boss's fake-ass name. Gaar Weasyl or whatever it was.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said in Money from nowhere?:

Awesome. I wanna sell my Qs. Give me my money. Where's the link to that.

Yeah, Q-tip, give Blakey his money.

I hereby agree and recognize that Q's are worth $1USD. That is now consensus. If you do not release Blakey's funds immediately, I will be in touch with the SEC and FBI.

Everything you said applies to every bank, payment provider, PayPal etc.

Banks have FDIC insurance. So no, that is not true of banks.

I don't use shitty internet payment providers or PayPal as a store of value specifically because they don't. If you keep lots of money in PayPal, you're an idiot.

We, however, have a dedicated currency, and that could be manipulated the same way irresponsible governments fund their expenses by printing money. That's why we will give away that right to an independent committee chosen by all Q stakeholders.

Can I run for this committee under the "As Corrupt As Possible All The Money Comes to Me" political party?

Because you could go buy bread with it, and you could sell it to the Q monetary committee for US$.

I wanna sell it. Right now. Where's the page for that. I can't find it.

• @sockpuppet7 said in Money from nowhere?:

paper driver's license

Paper?! Not plastic? :/

• @mrl said in Money from nowhere?:

Rather like the painful screech you get when you hold a microphone too close to a speaker.

• @laoc said in Money from nowhere?:

Saturday I went to the lake with my son. I gave him a couple of coins to get an ice cream and a coffee at the kiosk

Get 'em started young โ€” obese and buzzed. ๐Ÿ‘ :)

• @lorne-kates said in Money from nowhere?:

Yeah, Q-tip, give Blakey his money.
    I hereby agree and recognize that Q's are worth $1USD. That is now consensus. If you do not release Blakey's funds immediately, I will be in touch with the SEC and FBI.

How are you making a demand for money without prefacing it with "fuck you"? Damn man, it just doesn't work.

• @lorne-kates said in Money from nowhere?:

And preventing any hostile takeover of your corporation so the global currency doesn't get run by Disney.

Wait. But what if I want to have Mickies and Minnies! (Bring on the SJWs! Are Mickies worth more than Minnies???)

• @dcon If you take off the red shorts with the giant buttons, they're all Minnies. Sorry I had to tell you this.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Say, for fun, let's go ahead and see how super-awesome their website is. I'm going in blind, following someone's Invite link.

As always, I'm going in with Ghostery set to max, AdBlock Plus set to max (no acceptable ads), and Request Policy set to default deny-all 3rd party requests.

As a baseline, Destroy All Software (https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/screencasts) loads, with the same protections, in 400ms with 0 3rd party requests.

Here we go!

Landing page... BOOM, blank screen. There's nothing. But I do see a blocked 3rd party request to Google Fonts, so right away you're violating the user's privacy by exposing them to Google Tracking.

There's also a blocked request to CloudFront-- so that's two corps you're selling me out to. What the fuck is CloudFront doing... omfg...you're only using CloudFront to host the favico and the header image? What the serious shit? THAT'S what you think my privacy is worth? A 16x16 png that gets browser-cached anyways?

There's also something called "fullstory.com", which has no <noscript> block. Has the standard looking tracker shit-- pushing a script, adding random numbers, concating together an URL. What is "fullstory.com"?

"FullStory: Session Replay, Heat Maps | Debugging, Support, CRO Tool"

So MORE tracking and analytics. Funny that, for a company that said abusing user data is not their goal.

One more thing on the page... FACEBOOK TRACKING. Wow, dudes. Just wow.

For the record, all what is on this page is the tracking crap. There's no HTML. Which makes me think this is a shitty SPA that generates HTML via JS, or a redirect page with no 301 header. ๐Ÿ‘

Okay, next post, I'll try allowing the first-part JS to see what happens.

Because you could go buy bread with it

When? Your Economic Theory page presupposes widespread adoption, and believes that it'll happen using cryptocurrency market valuation as justification, but actual adoption by vendors of Bitcoin was never significant (though some high-profile companies did so for a time) and now is practically nonexistent. Why would my local Super Duper Mart accept Q for a Nuka-Cola instead of the currency of the land, bottlecaps?

and you could sell it to the Q monetary committee for US$.

When? And what's going to stop a run on them if the realized market value of a Q goes below peg?

@dcon said in Money from nowhere?:

There are vast tracks of land that will never have wireless internet - unless we get full global satellite service.

We have that already. It has ridiculously slow speeds and data caps, and costs an arm and a leg for equipment ... so it's about at the same level as land-based providers. ๐ŸšŽ

• @hardwaregeek said in Money from nowhere?:

@laoc said in Money from nowhere?:

Saturday I went to the lake with my son. I gave him a couple of coins to get an ice cream and a coffee at the kiosk

Get 'em started young โ€” obese and buzzed. ๐Ÿ‘ :)

Maybe he's separated and it was time for the ex to take over?

• @blakeyrat said in Money from nowhere?:

@dcon If you take off the red shorts with the giant buttons, they're all Minnies. Sorry I had to tell you this.

Aw man, go and ruin my day!
    0_1529505347013_ab1e3067-5cba-4cc1-9051-c60002abb532-image.png

@jaloopa said in Money from nowhere?:

Everyone is issued with a basic iPhone at birth

Oh, just kill me now!

Are you anywhere near Toronto? Are you a trans hooker, or willing to pretend? If so, paging @Lorne-Kates.

We have that already. It has ridiculously slow speeds and data caps, and costs an arm and a leg for equipment ... so it's about at the same level as land-based providers.

I thought those all went under... Didn't realize some were still in business!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Allowed first-party scripts only. Surprisingly, the page comes up. Some broken fonts, but that's expected given the blocking of Google Fonts.

Oh shit, you have HTML5 animations all over the fucking place. Fuck you hard. Nothing says "legit currency" like dancing smiley faces and bouncing numbers. I've seen less crayon-flashy-sickeningly-sweet cartoons when my daughter randomly taps things in Youtube Kids.

First thing my eye is drawn to is the dark blocks in the middle. I don't register them as money-- since they look like a 90s style visitor counter, I assume that's what it is. Look down, nothing-- so much empty space. I followed an invite link. Why am I not on a signup form?

Oh fuck, now you have "not really a choice" yes/no buttons. "Do you think cantelopes are awesome, or are you a baby-raper".

Do you even z-index, bro?

https://i.imgur.com/Ziy0LJp.png

Also, you're presenting a cookie notification, but no way to decline it. You don't understand what a cookie notification is for, do you? You're just cargo-culting putting one on there.

I scroll scroll scroll only to see more useless boilerplate copytext (which fades in on lazy load, fuck you twice for that). Where's my goddamn signup form? That's why I clicked on the link. Someone said "yo dis cool click here to sign up" and I did and now I can't sign up. I don't need info on the currency if I followed an invite link. I want to sign up!

BTW: looking at the page source, yup, no HTML. Just lazy-loaded HTML. Because maybe one day we'll have the technology to render a page server-side and serve it to an HTML-displaying browser, perhaps.

Let me link hunt and post more.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Nope, I can't create an account. Even though I followed an invite link. The URL just drops the link, and I'm told to sign up I need to get invited. Even though I did.

But I can beg for an invite of Facebook, because that's totally in line with "we no do track bad things".

Your site sucks.

Here in CA, the Golden Gate bridge.

GG bridge is FasTrack only now? Well, I guess I'll never drive up to Marin again. (But that's ok; I'd have to go through SF, and any reason to avoid that shithole is a good reason.) I don't have FasTrack, and I never will. I cross a toll bridge (in the toll direction) about once every 5 years, so there's no reason for me to have one.

@dcon said in Money from nowhere?:

Here in CA, the Golden Gate bridge.

GG bridge is FasTrack only now? Well, I guess I'll never drive up to Marin again. (But that's ok; I'd have to go through SF, and any reason to avoid that shithole is a good reason.) I don't have FasTrack, and I never will. I cross a toll bridge (in the toll direction) about once every 5 years, so there's no reason for me to have one.

Has been for a couple years. You can pre-register/pre-pay by license plate too. Gotta nail those tourists who don't know somehow! (I remember hearing how the car rental place would take a $50 surcharge on for unpaid tolls - don't know how that's handled now)

• @Kian said in Money from nowhere?:

A good payment system would work with any currencies transparently.

Definitely. I can take (and have taken) my VISA check card to other countries and pay for stuff, and my credit union automatically converts my payment at the current exchange rate with no (or only government-mandated) exchange fees.

@hardwaregeek said in Money from nowhere?:

VISA don't need us to tell them about it. They already know how to do it, but they can't, because it requires building a new network from scratch, and they don't know how to get everyone to move to the new payment network.

That seems improbable. ISTM that if a payment processor with the reputation and clout of VISA told their merchants, "We're setting up a new network that's more secure and with lower fees," there would be a stampede to the new network. Customers would be forced to move, because eventually the old one would stop working.

Why would there be a stampede? What's the rush? Every seller will wait to see that others are moving, before making the investment.

Two reasons, one of which is right there in bolded text. Lower fees; the merchants would save money, and cutting costs is a strong motivation.

Nope, they'll save money only when the network is active. On day 1 it isn't, so i'll wait for day 2 before i spend time and money. Everyone does the same. Day 2 same thing happens and so on...

Second, Visa can force them to. "We're building a new network that is more secure and has lower fees. If you want to continue accepting Visa payments, you have until date to adopt the new system because the old one will be discontinued on date."

That's indeed how they get technologies adopted, but they need to be very careful when doing so. If they push too much, sellers will abandon.

• @Jaloopa said in Money from nowhere?:

basic iPhone

Um, oxymoron, much? :P

If they push too much, sellers will abandon.

Right; but don't worry, they're 100% loyal to these Q people!!!!!

After all, VISA has only been propping up their business for 30 years. But these Q guys ran a pyramid scheme!