Forever growing scrollbar?
hockeyboi16 last edited by
So, after visiting this page using Firefox, i see that the scrollbarthing keeps getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller....and smaller!!
You can check it out here:
It doesn't happen in Internet Explorer though.
What would cause this?
msntfs last edited by
capnPedro last edited by
It happened with SeaMonkey on Vista too, but after scrolling down (with the scroll wheel) it went away.
After reloading the page it didn't happen again. Weird, to say the least.
PSWorx last edited by
The marquee seems to be the cause somehow. I temporarily halted and then restarted the script without reload (using firebug on firefox 22.214.171.124) and the mysterious scrollbar behavior consequentially stopped and began again too. i don't really get [i]how[/i] the script causes the quirk though.
Interestingly, the scrollbar behaves normal after I reload the page (like the above poster said) but the effect returns when I bypass the cache during reload. Maybe it's some obscure bug that calculates the page height wrong if certain objects aren't fully loaded yet?
Firebug also shows no changes in the pages "height" css attributes but shows a rather insane 20.000-something "computed style" height. Makes some kind of css bug even more likely IMO.
vt_mruhlin last edited by
Mine went away after a while. I believe it was after the full text of the marquee was in view.
DAL1978 last edited by
versatilia last edited by
This effect is sometimes seen when using the "faux column" CSS technique - you set the page or column height to something silly like 20000 pixels to ensure the user will never reach the bottom. We've found IE has a problem where it seems to try and render the whole lot, so with a huge height it can take a long time to compute some pages - a shorted (but still way off the bottom of the screen) height reduces the problem.
rbowes last edited by
Hmm, funny. I couldn't get it to work on my Windows machine (and believe me, I spent a lot of time staring at it, waiting for it to move), but it worked perfectly on the Linux machine next to it. Same version of Firefox on both. Hmm!