Worst computer game ever made by mankind discovered



  • Granted, this is not exactly the most recent event, but it isn't on this site yet and I feel especially here it just deserves a place. So consider it a "Classic" :p

    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/review.html (Make sure to watch the video as well)

    Keep in mind that this is no beta or anything. It's in stores that way. It costs money. 



  • I remember reading about that one at the time -absolutely amazing that they'd have the nerve to release it.

     

    I still think that some of the released games in the 8bit era could give it a run for it's money, though.



  • Im going to bookmark this and read it at home.

     

    I need a laugh. 



  • I created an account just to post a reply to this.

    I was just reading the interview tales when the sidebar WTF showed me this forum message. I knew it was probably big rigs. But the real WTF isn't the game itself. It's the user review by UmmaGumma. If you ever need a PR person in your company, you should hire him. 

    You can find the review here @ http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/player_review.html?id=143779

     

    But I feel compelled to post the actual review text here so here you go:

    -- (He rated the game 10/10)


    A Truckload of Tragedy.

                <div class="content lh16 cl pb10">
    

    I'm speechless at this travesty. Gamespot has made some iffy calls
    before, but the lambasting it gives Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is
    completley off the mark. It is clear from the beginning that the
    reviewer simply did not fathom the complexities and allegory of this
    game.



    First off, he laments about the lack of goals in the game. He whinges
    on that there is no cargo to haul, no police chases, not much of
    anything. What he fails to grasp is the message Big Rig sends in the
    very futility of attempt. What point is there of hauling cargo that
    will ultimately be consumed in robotic fashion by an uncaring populace?
    Criminals incarcerated during a police chase, despite their victim's
    blood dripping from their hands and a confession pinned to their
    jacket, are simply set free via the efforts of slick lawyers and the
    failings of judicial machinations. What is the point of even trying?
    comes a plaintive cry from Big Rigs. The answer is apparent. There is
    no point. Time to lay down and die. This comment on society is driven
    home (or in fact, not driven at all) even further by the computer AI.
    It doesn't even leave the starting gate. Much like the dreams and
    aspirations we harbour as youth, reving our engines on a starting line
    where the crack of the pistol never comes. Meanwhile, those of
    privledge cruise to easy victory, unconcerned over such mundane things
    as rent or grocery bills or collideable landscapes. The societal
    implications here in the game are staggering.



    Perhaps the most stunning allegory is the limbo a driver finds
    themselves in if they venture off the beaten track. Here the game seems
    to provide an escape hatch for those willing to take a risk and explore
    the more remote possibilities of life. It also serves as a stark
    reminder of the ultimate destination we all are headed for. All roads
    lead to purgatory; where you go from there is anyone's guess.



    It's been awhile since a game of such staggering implications has come
    along, so I suppose it's not surprising it might knock mainstream
    reviewers for a loop. But if you open your minds to the possibilities,
    all roads lead to nirvana.

    -- 

     


     



  • The Pakoon! (Finnish for 'escape') series of games sounds similar in many ways, except Pakoon v1 actually implements the pizza-delivery goals, has a physics engine of /some sort/, but the same idea (mindless driving around, and crashing every so often), but they don't actually cost anything (seems the source code is available as well).

     
    On another note, the mindless driving/flying around can actually be a good way to kill time. I've flown around 100,000 'unspecified units' away from the home base on the Desert map (it turns into a vast ocean with occasional tiny islands after a couple 10k distance). Flying up to 10,000 units in height (it turns into a black void at 3k, you can see the spherical shape of the map) and then gliding down unpowered is always fun.



  • Was he in stealth mode on the bridge?

    And the ability to drive up a vertical mountain face, over the top of said mountain and down the other side? Way cool!

    These aren't bugs, these are features!

    =P



  • @PSWorx said:

    (Make sure to watch the video as well)

    A link to video? To download i need to register on gamespot, which refuses mytrashmail account. To view online i need some windows only plugin... 



  • @sirfalas said:

    I created an account just to post a reply to this.

    I
    was just reading the interview tales when the sidebar WTF showed me
    this forum message. I knew it was probably big rigs. But the real WTF
    isn't the game itself. It's the user review by UmmaGumma. If you ever
    need a PR person in your company, you should hire him. 

    You can find the review here @ http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/player_review.html?id=143779

     

    But I feel compelled to post the actual review text here so here you go:

    -- (He rated the game 10/10)

    WOOOSH!

    What was that?



    That was the sound made by satire as it goes right over your head.

     



  • @RayS said:

    I remember reading about that one at the time -absolutely amazing that they'd have the nerve to release it.

     

    I still think that some of the released games in the 8bit era could give it a run for it's money, though.

     

     There
    was a truly legendary one for Commodore 64 where you played a
    strawberry, and you had to climb up a staircase made out of blocky
    graphics to the sound of some awful bleeps and bloops that were posing
    as music.  Can't remember what it was called, but it's a strong
    contender, and I'm not even sure if Big Rigs can really claim to have
    taken its crown...

     



  • You must be relay bad at spotting sarcasm.



  • Here is another competitor among the bad games: 

    http://www.gamespot.com/snes/adventure/mariostimemachine/index.html

    Horrible,horrible, horrible. 

     



  • @DaveK said:

    @sirfalas said:

    I created an account just to post a reply to this.

    I
    was just reading the interview tales when the sidebar WTF showed me
    this forum message. I knew it was probably big rigs. But the real WTF
    isn't the game itself. It's the user review by UmmaGumma. If you ever
    need a PR person in your company, you should hire him. 

    You can find the review here @ http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/player_review.html?id=143779

     

    But I feel compelled to post the actual review text here so here you go:

    -- (He rated the game 10/10)

    WOOOSH!

    What was that?



    That was the sound made by satire as it goes right over your head.

     

     

    I DID get the satire. Re-reading my earlier post, I see now that I wasn't clear enough but when I said that it's a WTF, I meant that someone was actually able write something so deep and positive about such a horrendous game. I probably wouldn't be able to even if I tried.

    Hence the reason I said you should get him for your company as a PR guy. No matter how horrible your product is, this guy would probably be able to put a nice angle to it. 



  • I had successfully wiped the existence of this debacle from my memory, but anyway... I'm afraid that the worst game ever made would have to be a toss-up between Custer's Revenge and E.T., "the game that killed Atari".

    However, this one does provide an excellent message to send to those people who go above and beyond in the pursuit of failure:

    YOU'RE WINNER !
     


  • Wow, now that's bad :o
    I loved this review: http://au.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigrigsotrr/player_review.html?id=451099 :P

    @tchize said:

    @PSWorx said:

    (Make sure to watch the video as well)

    A link to video? To download i need to register on gamespot, which refuses mytrashmail account. To view online i need some windows only plugin... 


    It seems to work for me in Firefox on Ubuntu Linux (doesn't seem to work in Opera, though).



  • Hm. Well, for those where it doesn't, here is a Youtube mirror.


     



  • That really is bad...

    You have got to be kidding me that that is in stores.
    There is no way [b]anyone[/b] would be stupid enough to buy that sack of crap.

     



  • You can download directly from their server using vlc and this address:

     
    mms://a510.v5372f.c5372.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/510/5372/v0001/gamespot.download.akamai.com/5372/netshow/_!/2004/01/bigrigs_pc_vreview101_300.wmv?auth=caEa9bdducJbodOaDbJblaNa6aOdAbxdXar-bgx2hb-bDW-qkyqBACD&aifp=jsd+r0x

     

    =) 



  • @asuffield said:

    I had successfully wiped the existence of this debacle from my memory, but anyway... I'm afraid that the worst game ever made would have to be a toss-up between Custer's Revenge and E.T., "the game that killed Atari".



    Sure, Custer's Revenge was completely tasteless, but at least the game worked as advertised, and was more challenging than Big Rigs.



  • @Control_Alt_Kaboom said:

    That really is bad...

    You have got to be kidding me that that is in stores.
    There is no way [b]anyone[/b] would be stupid enough to buy that sack of crap.

     



    Quoting from one of the review I saw on it (on YouTube):
    "I paid $2 for this, and already feel ripped off!"

    :P



  • @PSWorx said:

    Hm. Well, for those where it doesn't, here is a Youtube mirror.
    Wow - great vid!

    Pity all those shots of some strange truck-based video game get in the way of all the fun real-world stuff though.



  • @SuperousOxide said:

    @asuffield said:

    I had successfully wiped the existence of this debacle from my memory, but anyway... I'm afraid that the worst game ever made would have to be a toss-up between Custer's Revenge and E.T., "the game that killed Atari".



    Sure, Custer's Revenge was completely tasteless, but at least the game worked as advertised, and was more challenging than Big Rigs.

    I'd say that "worst game ever made" should be judged on more criteria than just how challenging it is. Big Rigs is a stupid waste of bits, but as a game its worst sin is being terminally boring.

    For example, E.T. made you work really hard for your amazing lack of fun.



  • Just thought you should know... This game was recently appointed "Worst Game Ever Made" by a game magazine here in Sweden.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.