Cast 128 encryption algorithm

• Anybody familiar with the inner workings.  Specifically, if you have an implementation with a different set of s-boxes, should the same key and input give you the same encrypted value?

• I'm not familiar with Cast 128, and I'm not 100% certain what you're asking, but one thing I do know is "s-boxes" in ciphers aren't just random they have been chosen for a specific reason and should [b]NOT[/b] be changed unless you happen to be a cryptography expert and probably not even then. :P

• @Ixpah said:

I'm not familiar with Cast 128, and I'm not 100% certain what you're asking, but one thing I do know is "s-boxes" in ciphers aren't just random they have been chosen for a specific reason and should [b]NOT[/b] be changed unless you happen to be a cryptography expert and probably not even then. :P

A curious exception to this rule is Blowfish, where the P-array and S-boxes are filled with the hexadecimal digits of pi, as a "nothing up my sleeve" number. In other words, they've been chosen so that anybody can see there is no specific reason for choosing this number.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.