Recommendation for Web Application QA/Testing Software

• Some QA people that I work with are looking for new web application testing software. They've been using Selenium IDE, which doesn't work on the recent versions of Firefox.

I believe the list of finalists is:

• Katalon
    • TestingWhiz
    • Selenium WebDriver
    • HP UFT

Has anyone had any experience with any of these? Are any of them particularly good or bad?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@dragnslcr said in Recommendation for Web Application QA/Testing Software:

Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

None of them seem to have attractive names, though I don't judge...

• Very much depends on what you want to actually test. I strive to minimize "System Testing via Manipulation and Observation of the Browser" to the maximum degree possible.

For the parts where it is necessary I tend to use Selenium WebDriver as the engine in conjunction with a robust object model of the system under test, a browser specific framework, and then the actual tests.

• kills Dumbledore

Selenium Web Driver is OK. Can't compare it to the others as I've never even heard of them, but if you're used to Selenium IDE it should be quite familiar.

Once you've added a few extension methods and helpers to what Selenium gives you, it's pretty usable but there are some annoying bugs and differences in the way it handles different browsers

• I am currently having one of my interns examining this problem space in his spare time. The last thing he showed me was some chrome extension that records a series of actions in browser, he then plugs this recording into his home-made converter, and it spits out js test case, to be used with some node-js based test runner.

I'll touch base with him on Monday and get more details. Keeping an eye on this thread.

• ♿ (Parody)

@cartman82 said in Recommendation for Web Application QA/Testing Software:

I'll touch base with him on Monday and get more details.

???

• @boomzilla Toby Fair, he didn't specify which Monday 🤷♂

• @boomzilla said in Recommendation for Web Application QA/Testing Software:

I'll touch base with him on Monday and get more details.

???

Riiiiiight. Forgot about this.

What he actually found was this:

It's a chrome extension counterpart to Katalon Studio, which seems to be like a desktop automation testing IDE.

The junior would record steps using the extension, then click to export the results into a "robot framework" format. But since robot framework is python and he doesn't know python, he'd then take this tabular format, parse it using javascript and generate node.js tests (forgot which particular runner) .

This was where we were at a week ago. I was a bit dubious about this whole convoluted process. He was using, what, 3 different testing formats now? I told him to research a bit more and find a way to get these recordings directly into some UI in a way that a QA person might be able to do.

Then I went back to my other battlefields and forgot about the whole thing for a few days.

Next time I caught up, the intern was half-way through writing his own testing system to run the Katalon recordings. He already made a logo and sketched out how this interface would work and was starting to integrate his atrocious hacked importer code into some hackneyed express api.

Jesus Christ.

I sat with him for a few minutes and went back to that Katalon recorder extension.

Me: Why are you doing all this crap? Why don't you just use Katalon itself?

Junior: We need to make assertions. I can only record here, can't make assertions. So I need something else for that.

Me: Really?

I clicked around for a few seconds and voila.

0_1519425220805_6cc95f66-5bb4-4539-bb9e-1d723eb6db82-image.png

The interface is absolutely atrocious, but yes, you can indeed add assertions using the extension. It would probably be even easier using the desktop app.

So, I suggested we work out if QA-s can just use the Katalon app to create and organize their blackbox tests, and then they can share them using version control or syncing. No conversion, no custom home-made test runner. Done and done.

Junior: So all this testing and the thing I built was for nothing?

Me: Welcome to IT, son.

I'll touch base with him next week and see if this Katalon thing will do the job for us. I hope he doesn't start another impromptu project in the meantime.

• :belt_onion:

@cartman82 said in Recommendation for Web Application QA/Testing Software:

and generate node.js tests (forgot which particular runner) .

That's based on SideeX under the hood, so should be just as easy to use the new Selenium IDE which can export directly to Node.js tests. There's a bug that truncates some of the target selectors in that export but if you're a Node.js shop, should be easy to fix.