Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.

• @PleegWat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@Magus Might be tricky to ship though?

Heh. Anime fans can ship anything. 😛

• area_deu

@blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@akko The French call tanks "Char", their word for chariot.

Surprisingly, for once the French name for something sounds less strange than the German name XD

• @mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I wanted to show further work on the hull, but @remi asked about tracks, so let's go with that.

Oh wow. I was idly wondering about how it'd work and thought that one way could be to have all links done one by one, and I immediately dismissed this as much too labour-intensive. But I was wrong, this is exactly how you do it! I am very impressed, this is a lot of work...

It took me over 4 hours to glue all link halves. Rounding the hinges should take about 3 more. Teeth are tricky, I don't know how long that will take, I must find a way to work quicker with them.

Fucking hell, and to think I already have a mild dislike for single-link tracks on plastic models, where all you usually need to do is remove them from the sprue and clean them up a bit …

• @blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Old WWI tanks are all based on agricultural tractors, so they usually don't have very elaborate ones. That Whippet for example seems to just have sheet metal ridges.

Plop plop plop. The tracks on WWI tanks were an original design by Tritton and Wilson for the No. 1 Lincoln Machine, AKA Little Willie when it turned out the agricultural track units they had adapted for it, weren’t suited to battlefield conditions. Plop plop plop. The same basic design was used on all subsequent British tanks of the First World War, and consisted of two metal chains to which simple plates with a bulge at one end were riveted. Plop plop plop. The bulge is there principally to cover the gap between links yet allow articulation, but also served to increased traction. Plop plop plop.

• area_pol

@remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Oh wow. I was idly wondering about how it'd work and thought that one way could be to have all links done one by one, and I immediately dismissed this as much too labour-intensive. But I was wrong, this is exactly how you do it! I am very impressed, this is a lot of work...

Hehe, don't dismiss a solution just because it's ridiculously slow and labour intensive 😃

But jokes aside, this is not the most labour intensive way. Designing tracks on your own, with links consisting of 10-15 parts each - that's the preferred way of really mad.

@gurth said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Fucking hell, and to think I already have a mild dislike for single-link tracks on plastic models, where all you usually need to do is remove them from the sprue and clean them up a bit …

Doing something precise, yet simple, repeatedly for hours is very relaxing. At least for me.
    Beer and music also help of course.

Doing something precise, yet simple, repeatedly for hours is very relaxing. At least for me.

Whereas the running gear of tank kits is the bit I usually like least because of all the identical parts — but doable because I can see progress (“Only half a sprue left … we’re getting there”).

You still glue them straight after drinking beer for four hours? 🙂

• @remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I wanted to show further work on the hull, but @remi asked about tracks, so let's go with that.

I do not have the patience for this hobby and I stare agape in amazement at anyone who does.

• @MrL said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Hehe, don't dismiss a solution just because it's ridiculously slow and labour intensive 😃

After all, childbirth is usually slow and very labor intensive! undefined

But jokes aside, this is not the most labour intensive way. Designing tracks on your own, with links consisting of 10-15 parts each - that's the preferred way of really mad.

[...]

I think the slowest, most repetitive project I've ever worked on was when I bought a thousand 1.25" keyrings and linked them all together to form a chainmail shirt as a Christmas present for one of my brothers.

• @djls45 I did that in college, but with wire, needle-nose pliers, and tin-snips.

Keyrings is cheating.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I do not have the patience for this hobby and I stare agape in amazement at anyone who does.

Do you feel the same way about forum moderation? 🙊

• area_pol

@gurth said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

You still glue them straight after drinking beer for four hours? 🙂

One beer takes off the edge, second is just for pleasure. There is no third if you want to continue working on a model 🙂
    Plus I rarely have 4 hours for it, it's more like 4x1h.

I have many flaws, but lack of patience is not one of them.
    Tracks and suspension on tanks look exhausting (and they are), but you can always choose an aircraft - almost no repeating parts.

Anyway, tracks are coming along slooowly. So tomorrow I think I'll post something about the hull.

• @doctorjones said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Do you feel the same way about forum moderation? 🙊

Nah. Forum moderation is easy. There's almost nothing to do.

• area_pol

I got caught up in doing nothing, so I didn't have time to post an update, sorry. As the tracks are going painfully slow, I'll show some work on the hull.

There was a picture with one side of the sheathing glued to the skeleton - next thing is of course the second side and bottom:

0_1518878962163_IMG-20161128-WA0002.jpg

In front and back of the bottom part, there were some 'flaps' for connecting next parts. I cut them away and added some carbon paper. Why? Gluing flaps are an extension of model's part, so when using them you glue one part on top of the other, which creates a not so great looking seam. I don't know if I'm explaining this clearly, so I made a drawing (in MS Paint of course):

0_1518880418635_Flaps.png

Why carbon paper? It's thin and elastic, but strong.

Next came the rounded front:

0_1518880535706_WP_20161128_22_46_13_Rich.jpg 0_1518880549138_WP_20161128_22_46_00_Rich.jpg

Seams look ok, but you can see that top of this part is a little wavy. That's not a problem fortunately, because this region will be covered by front armor plate.

On to the back wall of the hull:

0_1518880701564_WP_20161128_22_46_33_Rich.jpg
    0_1518880728780_WP_20161128_22_46_22_Rich.jpg

Seams on the back are not perfect, but they won't be visible 🙂

And finally, top of the hull. I got thirsty working on that:

0_1518880897530_WP_20161129_00_48_57_Rich.jpg
    0_1518880962614_WP_20161129_01_32_28_Rich.jpg
    0_1518881027303_WP_20161129_01_32_42_Rich.jpg 0_1518881067777_WP_20161129_01_32_47_Rich.jpg

In upcoming posts: fenders, wheels and suspension 🙂

• @mrl

-1 for your choice of beer

undefined is a 🇧🇪 IPA ... searching for it returns almost no 🇧🇪 🍺 except for some special and limited editions.

Anyway ... throw away the 🇵🇱 crap and get a real 🇧🇪 🍺 lad

• area_pol

@luhmann said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl

-1 for your choice of beer

undefined is a 🇧🇪 IPA ... searching for it returns almost no 🇧🇪 🍺 except for some special and limited editions.

Anyway ... throw away the 🇵🇱 crap and get a real 🇧🇪 🍺 lad

🇧🇪 IPA is IPA made on 🇧🇪 yeast. And why -1 if you haven't tried it?

There is a real explosion of craft breweries in 🇵🇱 in recent years. They experiment with new things a lot and this is one of them. Before that all you could buy was 500 brands of lager, produced on massive scale, all tasting the same (having no taste at all, some would argue) undefined

• @mrl
    It's no true 🇧🇪 🍺 ... so it starts at -1
    Uh yeah, around here it has always been more then lagers and pilsner. Triple and geuze have always around.

• area_pol

@luhmann said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl
    It's no true 🇧🇪 🍺 ... so it starts at -1

Meh, I don't care about no true anything. If it tastes good it's good. And if something is the only original 500 year old traditional something, which tastes like shit, it's shit.

First you cut them all out:

Cut from normal paper or do they pop out on their own?

• area_pol

@coldandtired said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

First you cut them all out:

Cut from normal paper or do they pop out on their own?

Those that come with the model are just printed on paper. Those from laser kits are held in place with small bits of uncut paper.

0_1518973131542_TracksExample.jpg

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.