Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.

• Notification Spam Recipient

I've seen others posting their hobbies here, so I though why not.

I'm not sure how it's called in English actually, I think it's 'card modelling', but I also saw 'papercraft' somewhere.
    You probably saw it somewhere or played with it as a kid (or with your kids), in this form:

0_1518359616668_simple_0.jpg

You basically make simple solids out of paper, cubes and cylinders, and glue them together so they form a shape that may remind you of a real life object (or made up one for that matter). All details outside of general shape are painted.

You can go further than that and model something in 3D, then unfold it and print out. This way models as complicated as this are made:

0_1518359638807_simple_1.jpg

This is how paper models are known around the world AFAIK and this is NOT my hobby.
    In Poland and generally in eastern Europe paper models evolved into something else. For example, this is made of paper:

0_1518359706336_flak_0.jpg
    0_1518359718467_flak_1.jpg

And this:

0_1518359733136_PzI_1.jpg

And this:

0_1518359748057_cobra_0.jpg
    0_1518359757114_cobra_1.jpg

Highly detailed models of real life objects. Military equipment from WWII is most common, but other things are made too (buildings or wind-ships for example).

This is/was my hobby since I was a kid, but as with everything I do, there were long periods when I didn't do anything about it. I'm getting back to modelling for some time now and if someone is interested I may post some of my work here. If no one is interested I'll cry myself to sleep then ok.
    As this is a 'comeback' and I'm relearning all the skills involved, my current models are quite simple, plus speed of work is rather slow, so don't expect anything spectacular.

Oh, right, I should be posting this on some specialized forum for card modelling. I am on a few, but I don't really like those places. They all fall into one of two categories:
    - nest of elitist pricks, where you get shouted at for virtually everything not perfect, not pro level photos mainly
    - infantile circle jerks, where everything everyone does is just super and so wonderful
    So there, a little rant at the end, it's TDWTF after all.

• area_can

@mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I'm getting back to modelling for some time now and if someone is interested I may post some of my work here.

paper models always look awesome to me, so I'd love to see your work! :D

• @mrl To stand out, have you thought about doing some of the more unique WWI vehicles? As an added bonus, simpler construction techniques might make it easier to get their shape perfectly right. (A lot of them were mostly boxes.)

The beautiful British Mark IV:

0_1518367158633_MarkIVFemaleTankAshfordKent.jpg

The French Schneider:

0_1518367186059_French-Schneider-CA16-tank.jpg

The French St. Chamond, which failed utterly as a tank but accidentally became the first successful assault gun late in the war when combat was mobile:

0_1518367216825_HY83858-2.jpg

Ok, there is some interest in the subject, so let's begin.

I'll post images of progress of work on my current model - at first post will be quite regular, as I have some work already done, then I'll post as something new happens, which means not often.

I have some photos of past models, but not many, so this source will dry up quickly too :)
    Oh, and I'll bore you with some useless trivia about card modelling too.

Currently I'm working on Panzerkampfwagen II Ausführung C, Sonderkraftfahrtzeug 121.
    Which means 'armoured fighting vehicle II type C, military special purpose vehicle 121', or as it is widely known PzKpfw II Ausf. C or just Panzer II C.

0_1518372793107_WP_20180211_18_55_05_Rich (2).jpg

It was published in 1998, so it's old, but I got a copy in very good shape, with paper that didn't age badly. Model has good reputation, as being well designed and very nicely 'weathered'*, so it looks cool in spite of being not very complicated.

First thing you do when starting to work on a model is making the skeleton. It makes the hull rigid, so it doesn't implode. Skeleton parts are printed on thin paper, which you glue on thick (1mm) cardboard and cut out:

0_1518373572998_IMG-20161128-WA0001.jpg

If there are parts of the skeleton that will be bent, you need to make them thin in bending points, or it all wont fit together:

0_1518373684293_WP_20161117_23_59_29_Rich.jpg

Then you assemble it all together, check for bad fits, correct them, assemble it again, etc..

0_1518373811436_WP_20161117_22_26_33_Rich.jpg

When you are confident that everything fits, you glue it all together.
    I didn't take a photo of completed skeleton, unfortunately. So here's how it looked like when I started to apply the 'sheathing':

0_1518374133809_WP_20161128_17_11_45_Rich.jpg

Sides and bottom of the hull are one part according to the design, but I cut them into three separate pieces. Bending paper on long straight lines is hard to do and with paper that is 20 years old it would probably chip off the paint. It proved to be a good decision - lines of connection of those three parts look ok, I'll show it in some future post.

* models are published either in 'clean' state, as they look when they leave the factory, or 'weathered' with usage marks, chipped off paint, mud, etc.

@blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl To stand out, have you thought about doing some of the more unique WWI vehicles? As an added bonus, simpler construction techniques might make it easier to get their shape perfectly right. (A lot of them were mostly boxes.)

I have British Whippet and German A7V in my collection, but I don't know when, if ever, I'll work on them. Currently I have more than 50 models to choose from :|

• BINNED

if someone is interested I may post some of my work here.

+𦮍𑗾

@m_adams said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

+𦮍𑗾

+ This term needs a translation to English. U+115FE

So... thank you. I guess.

• @m_adams

0_1518383268477_00960e56-a1b1-4587-88b8-1cb131194ee6-image.png
    😕

(24639|2|610) →
    ( U+26B8D | U+115FE ) →
    ( ENONAME | ENONAME )
    Produced by a alpha version userscript by @&#8205M_Adams...

😕

• BINNED

@mrl
    It's a "I want to upvote this multiple times" meme thingy, instead of doing "+∞" it's a script to choose a couple of unicode points based on thread #, post #, and user id.

Loosely based on a script from @accalia from here.

• BINNED

@hungrier said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@m_adams

0_1518383268477_00960e56-a1b1-4587-88b8-1cb131194ee6-image.png
    😕

(24639|2|610) →
    ( U+26B8D | U+115FE ) →
    ( ENONAME | ENONAME )
    Produced by a alpha version userscript by @&#8205M_Adams...

😕

0_1518383546863_37e5c4fd-1e97-4a87-a8e6-ef9d0c704860-image.png
    you don't have a font w/ a glyph for U+26b8d. I don't have one for U+115fe... ¯\(ツ)

ENONAME is where the "canonical" unicode point name would be, if there were one.

EDIT: composer seems to be fucked up. My screenshot originally split the ": confused_face ! :" in two parts:
    0_1518383913968_56caa381-e68e-4b5a-9f02-c852d33daf8e-image.png

and linkifying seems to fuckup too.

• ♿ (Parody)

This stuff is cool. At a local hotel they do a convention where people come show off their stuff and try to get people involved. They have an area for kids to do some simple stuff.

We almost went last year but something else was going on that day.

• Considered Harmful

I used to have fun with this stuff when I was younger. I remember at Maker Faire, there was a city entirely made out of papercraft.

• @mrl The most boring ones!

@mrl The most boring ones!

A7V is boring, sure, but so is Mark IV, tracks going around the hull are amusing, but other than that it's just a slab of metal.

Whippet on the other hand is freaking cool:

Schneider looks interesting, but I haven't seen it published ever. Chamond is so so.

• @mrl said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

specialized forum for card modelling. I am on a few, but I don't really like those places. They all fall into one of two categories:

• nest of elitist pricks, where you get shouted at for virtually everything not perfect, not pro level photos mainly
    • infantile circle jerks, where everything everyone does is just super and so wonderful

This is fairly typical of modelling forums in general, is my experience.

• Fake News

@mrl The most boring ones!

A7V is boring, sure, but so is Mark IV, tracks going around the hull are amusing, but other than that it's just a slab of metal.

Whippet on the other hand is freaking cool:

Is it normal for a British tank to have an iron cross painted on?

@jbert said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Yes.

When it's captured by Germans.

• area_deu

PzKpfw II Ausf. C

Man you just have to love the German military abbreviations. I used to live close to a military school and often drove by the sign pointing to the FüUstgSBW (Führungsunterstützungsschule der Bundeswehr). And recently I worked on a project concerning a bridge laying tank, also known as the GefBrSys (Gefechtsbrückensystem). Really rolls of the tongue, doesn't it? XD

• @MrL Are all the parts, including the thin decorations such as guns or tracks, made of papers? They look fantastically thin...

I did a few plastic models when I was young (planes, essentially), but it was too fiddly for me and I got frustrated at never getting something that even remotely looked like the picture on the box. That, plus painting with whatever non-water-based paint that made a huge mess and costed a fortune (for my budget at the time), did suck the fun out of it quickly. I still kept a few of the less-botched models for some time, I liked them.

Some years later, I had a try at a model of an X-Wing fighter made entirely of a couple of Paris bus tickets, it was fun as the model did make use of some of the marking to give some colour to the fighter. It was closer to origami, though.

Anyway, your models look nice, I'll keep reading your posts (but will probably fall in the "everything everyone does is just super and so wonderful" class of criticism...).

EDIT: for once, a web page that still exists more than 10 years later! The guy also did the Millenium Falcon and TIE fighter, but they look much more fiddly than the X-Wing...

• Banned

@akko said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Really rolls of the tongue, doesn't it? XD

Iunno, FüUstgSBW doesn't sound much worse than Führungsunterstützungsschule.

@remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@MrL Are all the parts, including the thin decorations such as guns or tracks, made of papers? They look fantastically thin...

That depends. It's possible to make very small and thin elements with paper, down to a certain width. I'm not sure what is the minimum, 2mm thick gun barrel is certainly doable.
    When some element is too thin, usually painted wire is used. There also are available metal and wooden barrels, and photo etched details. So sometimes it's hard to tell if some detail is paper or wire or premade.

I'll make a post about tracks today, as I'm working on them right now.

I did a few plastic models when I was young (planes, essentially), but it was too fiddly for me and I got frustrated at never getting something that even remotely looked like the picture on the box. That, plus painting with whatever non-water-based paint that made a huge mess and costed a fortune (for my budget at the time), did suck the fun out of it quickly. I still kept a few of the less-botched models for some time, I liked them.

Yeah, papercraft is more about forming the shapes and assembling the thing, and plastic is more about painting (with expansive, smelly and toxic paints).

Anyway, your models look nice, I'll keep reading your posts (but will probably fall in the "everything everyone does is just super and so wonderful" class of criticism...).

No problem, it's the better kind of criticism :)

EDIT: for once, a web page that still exists more than 10 years later! The guy also did the Millenium Falcon and TIE fighter, but they look much more fiddly than the X-Wing...

That's quite cool.

That's quite cool.

I still have the X-Wing somewhere... I should try and find it to take a picture and see how it compares with the one on the web page.

The other ones, when I did the X-Wing I kept thinking that I would try them one day, but I never got to it. And now the trouble will be finding metro tickets, almost everyone uses a pass now!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I've set this thread to "watching", can't wait to see what you come up with :-)

• @remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

pic: Star Wars spaceship
    pic: pocket knife ❓❓❓

The paper models are pretty cool, though.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Pretty cool. I have nothing to add but will be watching this thread so I wanted to throw in my support.

• @remi said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

I still have the X-Wing somewhere... I should try and find it to take a picture and see how it compares with the one on the web page.

I found an old picture that I took just after finishing it. Definitely not as good-looking as on the model page. Oh well.

0_1518442619768_7047a9fc-1477-4c77-9670-3db962a2a205-image.png

• @akko said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

FüUstgSBW

My favourite Youtube video id

• @mrl The problem is the Whippet (and the French FT-17) are approaching the appearance of actual tanks.

My favorite vehicles are the vehicles made before people knew what those vehicles were supposed to look like. Thus the tanks with all-around tracks and sponsons, and when it comes to aircraft this weird duck:

0_1518455890538_A19610048000CP04.jpg

Sure the thing flies, but it's a weirdo that barely resembles any airplane ever made since. I love it.

Sure the FT17 is a WWI tank, and by far the best WWI tank, but it's design is so generically "tank-y" that it generally looks like every tank ever made since. Yawn. (The Whippet, to be fair, is a little more distinct.)

• @jbert said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

If they were captured and used by the Germans, yes. (Hundreds were. The German's own tank, the A7V, they only built a couple dozen of, and they never built any of their own medium or light tanks. As a result, they drove a lot of captured tanks.)

• @akko The French call tanks "Char", their word for chariot.

Yes.

When it's captured by Germans.

But was Whippet A259 actually captured by the Germans? From what I remember offhand they only had two in running order, and the photos I could find quickly show them without any numbers on the side of the vehicle. Oh, and no Tank Corps flash (the white/red/white stripes) either, so the whole tank was probably re-painted by the Germans.

Aha: A259 is in fact the Whippet in Bovington (I thought that number looked familiar), so @JBert is right: it shouldn’t have a German cross on it.

• @mrl Shoes are interesting?

• @blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Sure the FT17 is a WWI tank

:pendant: No, it isn’t. I suppose “FT17” can be all kinds of things, but the tank you’re probably thinking of is properly a “Renault FT” with no number after it — that’s a post-war invention and was never part of the tank’s actual name. Just like there’s no “M4A3E8” (except as prototypes), no “M10 Wolverine” (unless you read the manufacturer’s adverts in 1940s magazines), and no “General Sherman” tank in British service.

If they were captured and used by the Germans, yes. (Hundreds were.

More :pendant:: A quick browse through The German A7V Tank and the Captured British Mark IV Tanks of World War I indicates that six Abteilunge with captured British tanks were formed between March and August 1918 (Nos. 11 through 16), each supposedly equipped with five tanks, and it seems No. 16 never even saw combat. The Germans may have captured hundreds, but they only managed to put into the field a few dozen at best.

• Something I just have to mention: If you were to make any tanks that are featured in Girls Und Panzer - particularly painted the way the main characters do - you could probably sell them at exorbitant prices to people in Japan. Anything related to that franchise makes people go crazy over there.

• Java Dev

@magus Might be tricky to ship though?

• @pleegwat Not at the prices you could sell them for ;)

• @gurth said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

No, it isn’t. I suppose “FT17” can be all kinds of things, but the tank you’re probably thinking of is properly a “Renault FT” with no number after it — that’s a post-war invention and was never part of the tank’s actual name. Just like there’s no “M4A3E8” (except as prototypes), no “M10 Wolverine” (unless you read the manufacturer’s adverts in 1940s magazines), and no “General Sherman” tank in British service.

Plop plop plop plop plop

@gurth said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

More : A quick browse through The German A7V Tank and the Captured British Mark IV Tanks of World War I indicates that six Abteilunge with captured British tanks were formed between March and August 1918 (Nos. 11 through 16), each supposedly equipped with five tanks, and it seems No. 16 never even saw combat. The Germans may have captured hundreds, but they only managed to put into the field a few dozen at best.

plop plop plop

• @blakeyrat said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Sure the FT17 is a WWI tank, and by far the best WWI tank, but it's design is so generically "tank-y" that it generally looks like every tank ever made since. Yawn. (The Whippet, to be fair, is a little more distinct.)

Dumb Renaults, all their hoity-toity prototype-of-almost-all-later-tanks snobbery... All, "oh, look at me, I have a turret"... damn French pricks. :trollface:

I wanted to show further work on the hull, but @remi asked about tracks, so let's go with that.

Tracks are the most defining element of a tank (with turret on second place, I guess) and there are many ways of making them. Let me bore you with description of all of them.

The easiest way is to take two strips of paper, with 'tracks' painted on one side and glue them together with paint facing outside. Such tracks always look like shit and cutting out holes for driving wheels doesn't help it even a bit.

Variation of this technique is to take a single strip of thin paper and put little bricks made of cardboard on both sides. If done right, it may look quite decent actually, but only with some types of tracks.

Secondly, model may come with tracks designed as single links. Like the one I'm building right now:

0_1518464778510_WP_20180211_20_11_36_Rich.jpg

You cut it all out, assemble every link separately, cut out holes, paint white edges, join them with pins/wire and you get a very good looking tracks. I started making them, to see how it goes, here are two, without 'teeth':

0_1518464814682_WP_20161116_21_03_14_Rich (2).jpg

There are hard cardboard elements inside them, a kind of skeleton, to make them thicker. You can see the problem with this approach: painting only the edges, without spilling paint on rest of the link takes ages and is highly frustrating when you have to do it 200 times.

Variation of this technique is to design the tracks yourself, print them, and go from there in similar fashion as above. The difference is that you can make links as detailed as you want and you paint them whole, which is much easier.

Technique most common nowadays is aiding yourself with cutting edge technology: lasers! If you're building something that is not exotic, probably there are laser cut tracks available. They come in different types: stripes, rigid sections, single links, links with hinges, engraved, weathered. 10-15 years ago it was considered lame to use them, but now they are very common, most people came to conclusion that building tracks for 2 months is not the greatest use of their time :)

This is what I decided to use. Here are tracks fresh from the store:

0_1518464884844_WP_20180211_20_12_43_Rich.jpg

These are for Panzer I, but you get the idea.

First you cut them all out:

0_1518464940452_WP_20170625_15_37_57_Rich.jpg

Then you glue together top and bottom of every link:

0_1518465237671_WP_20180211_20_20_21_Rich.jpg

It's a bit tricky, but using toothpicks helps:

0_1518465289613_WP_20180211_22_16_46_Rich.jpg

Next, you cut front and back, top and bottom, of every link, to make the hinges round:

0_1518465347840_WP_20180211_20_21_02_Rich.jpg

Then you glue the teeth on:

0_1518465504265_WP_20180212_20_36_47_Rich.jpg

All that's left to do is to paint them (no photo yet) and link with pieces of wire:

0_1518465631643_WP_20170625_15_38_58_Rich.jpg

The coin on the picture is to show how big those things are, but you probably don't know how big Polish penny coin is. Those squares on my cutting mat are 1cm x 1cm:

0_1518466034902_WP_20180211_21_55_11_Rich.jpg

It took me over 4 hours to glue all link halves. Rounding the hinges should take about 3 more. Teeth are tricky, I don't know how long that will take, I must find a way to work quicker with them.

For painting I plan to use an airbrush. I bought one a long time ago, but never used it. We'll see how it goes.

@magus said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

@mrl Shoes are interesting?

Shoes?

• BINNED

@blakeyrat
    You will Panamareko then ...

Shoes?

0_1518468191228_img_0253.jpg

The part of the tank assembly that leaves a tread.

Old WWI tanks are all based on agricultural tractors, so they usually don't have very elaborate ones. That Whippet for example seems to just have sheet metal ridges.

• @blakeyrat Well no, I was actually making a joke about the fact that the tank he said was cool is shaped like a shoe. But I don't disagree with your post either.

• @magus You wear incredibly unfashionable shoes.

• @blakeyrat Hey now, I feel like everyone who watched Air Gear probably liked Buccha. Tanks for shoes worked just fine for him.

• @magus said in Why yes, I do have a hobby. Glad you asked.:

Air Gear

I don't know what that is.

Buccha

I have no idea what that is.

Tanks for shoes worked just fine for him.

I'm not interested in your macrophile pornos.

• @blakeyrat I think you'd probably spend a lot of time laughing if you found out and watched it. Laughter at the dumb premise of the show, and at me most likely. But that's all the effort I'm prepared to put into convincing you.

• area_can

Shoes?

0_1518468191228_img_0253.jpg

The part of the tank assembly that leaves a tread.

Old WWI tanks are all based on agricultural tractors, so they usually don't have very elaborate ones. That Whippet for example seems to just have sheet metal ridges.

Oh ok. Polish modelers sometimes say that they are making slippers for their tank, when they work on tracks.

--edit--

Of course there are tank slippers too