14-page death notice

• Dutch website Mensenlinq.nl has death notices from most Dutch daily and weekly newspapers. However, when you want to print one, you get a nasty surprise when your printer spews out fourteen pages’ worth of it, looking mostly like this:

0_1518120078816_mensenlinq.jpg

Seems somebody forgot an @media print {display: none} rule for the menus, search fields — well, everything on the page that’s not the actual death notice, really.

Yes, you can print by first clicking on an advert and then noticing a little printer icon at the bottom of the lightbox that opens with the advert, which shows a new window with little more than the notice itself. But it’s a safe bet that most people who visit a site like this will try clicking File -> Print instead.

And bonus WTF (or actually two of them):

0_1518120191217_mensenlinq-bonus.png

At least, I seriously doubt there’s a periodical titled “test”, and I’m also fairly sure the shadow border should go behind the drop-down list instead of in front of it.

• I know they say that your head is alive for a few seconds after decapitation, but if it takes 14 pages to tell you that you're dead, there's just no way you could possibly read all of it in that amount of time.

• Seriously though, why would they put all the CSS styles that make the menus not look like unformatted garbage into @media screen rules, to begin with? And then compound the issue by forgetting to use @media print to hide them. At least if they hadn't put them in @media screen, it would look approximately the same way in print as it looked on the screen (with the possible exception of backgrounds). As it is, it looks worse.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: came into the thread expecting unusually long stack traces. I r disappoint.

• @anotherusername said in 14-page death notice:

Seriously though, why would they put all the CSS styles that make the menus not look like unformatted garbage into @media screen rules, to begin with?

Better yet: why did they roll their own drop-down lists using <ul> tags? It's not like they seem to be doing anything with them that <select> can’t.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@gurth said in 14-page death notice:

why did they roll their own drop-down lists using <ul> tags?

Because those are conceptually a list of things that represents a sitemap, rather than a menu of things you pick from to satisfy a form. That's cromulent.

• @dkf Some are, yes — most of what you see in the image I posted are. But everything in that image below “Zoek en vind overlijdensberichten in uw regio” is a form (as you can tell by the two text boxes), including the date picker whose list (“• 31” etc.) you can see at the bottom of the image.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@gurth said in 14-page death notice:

However, when you want to print one, you get a nasty surprise when your printer spews out fourteen pages’ worth of i

RIP your printer

• @anotherusername said in 14-page death notice:

Seriously though, why would they put all the CSS styles that make the menus not look like unformatted garbage into @media screen rules, to begin with? And then compound the issue by forgetting to use @media print to hide them. At least if they hadn't put them in @media screen, it would look approximately the same way in print as it looked on the screen (with the possible exception of backgrounds). As it is, it looks worse.

My guess: they read somewhere that "you should put the decorations behind @media screen so that printers won't waste ink printing background colors"

• @anonymous234 my browser doesn't print background colors or images by default.