Indian Recruiters

• @hardwaregeek said in Indian Recruiters:

@unperverted-vixen Consulting, temp, outsourcing, whatever you want to call it. The projects typically last 6 to 18 months; that's longer than what I typically think of as temping, but whatever.

Regardless of time. If you cease to be an employee of the agency when the client ends the contract so you are essentially unemployed it is a temp agency. If you get paid for bench time between contracts so that the agency retains you for your skills and can use you directly as part of the package when they get the next project or client, it is a consulting agency.

• @kattman what is it when you have a 50% chance of being retained, based on observation of what happened to your coworkers?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@hardwaregeek said in Indian Recruiters:

So if I can't understand the recruiter's voicemail, I just delete it, because chances are the job is going to be crappy anyway.

I added a new contact to my phone today — "Fast-talking Recruiter I Can't Understand" — just so I could more easily ignore calls from that number. I think he had an Indian accent, but I'm not really sure, because I couldn't hear him well enough. In addition to talking very quickly, it sounded like his phone was wrapped in corroded tin foil. I didn't catch his name, company or call-back number; the only reason I even know it was a recruiter was that I managed to make out the words "verification engineer" in the middle of the noise.

Sounds like Google AI is still learning how to speak clearly. It should really just write it as text and have the Google Maps text-to-speech engine handle it.

• @gurth said in Indian Recruiters:

Cultural background that expects haggling vs. one that doesn’t, perhaps?

My sister worked in Hotel. Here's how exchanges went on the phone:

☎ RING
    🧕🏻 Hi. We'd like to book for $date.
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: Sure thing, that will cost you $rate.
    🧕🏻 Ok, thank you.
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: Bye

☎ RING from India
    🤡 Greetings to you!
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: Hi, how can I help you?
    🤡 We'd like to make reservations for $date
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: Sure, that will cost you $rate * 1.1
    🤡 Is it possible to get a rebate?
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: I'll ask my boss for you.
    ... get some work done for ten minutes...
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth: You there? We can give you $rate.
    🤡 We accept your offer.

The increase in inital rate was based on phone number, accent, and introduction. Ethnic discrimination in its purest form.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@stillwater said in Indian Recruiters:

For me old is 30.

All my best work has been done since I got older than that.

I also report to a manager at the client company. The manager assigns tasks and deadlines, and I am responsible for completing them on time, as best I can. I have to notify the manager (in advance, if possible) if I'm going to take time off due to illness, holidays, or whatever. Basically, it's just like being an employee of the client, except it's temporary, and my paycheck and benefits come from the consulting company instead of the client.

That sounds a lot like the position I'm in, except it's all internal to my employer. In effect we employ a team of consultants full-time so that we can slot them into projects quickly without having to always go out to hiring or external consultancy firms. (We do those options as well, but we're trying to get towards the point of having most of our baseline need for consultants largely in-house.)

• @dkf said in Indian Recruiters:

For me old is 30.

All my best work has been done since I got older than that.

For me, I'm probably much more consistent and reliable now, but am becoming boring. At 15 or 25 anything seemed possible and I tried anything and everything. Occasionally I had some big successes.

@japonicus said in Indian Recruiters:

For me, I'm probably much more consistent and reliable now, but am becoming boring.

As you get older, you get more experienced. (Well, hopefully…) With that, you get so that you can take on more complex and subtle problems, but gradually your energy for dealing with them goes down.

As you get older, you get more experienced. (Well, hopefully…)

1 year of experience, repeated 20 times.

• @hardwaregeek said in Indian Recruiters:

I am an employee of a consulting company.....I don't really recommend it.

It takes a special type of person to thrive in that environment. If one is that type of person, then I would recommend it. Where I see the problem (as a general observation of the industry - NOT a commentary on you) is that people often do not realize what they are getting into.

but gradually your energy for dealing with them goes down.

Or you are able to keep the energy level high while dealing with them, but pay a (physical and mental) price later.

• @scholrlea said in Indian Recruiters:

I would love to learn how to interview like crazy.

No you don't. Trust me. Why do I say this? Because the key phrase earlier was 'borderline psychopath'. Being good at interviewing, like being an effective political candidate, is 90% being able to lie without compunction and with absolute conviction, 9% being able to project a false sense of empathy, and 1% being willing to do anything to get what you want without reservation, regardless of who gets hurt or how badly so long as it isn't you.

Now, this sort of behavior makes sense in electoral politics, because it is the required skillset for leadership (it is not the require skills set for administering a government, but that's not an issue because, as I have said before, the elected officials only really make decisions if there is an emergency that requires immediate action - 99.9% of the time, the real decisions of any government larger than a town council are made by thousands of data analysts who are unaware that they are making decisions at all, and the elected 'leaders' exist for show, being there mainly to satisfy the human biological need for a social hierarchy).

For computer programming? Not so much.

I'm one of those rare few programmers that reportedly interviews really, really well.
    Myself, I can not for the life of me read if an interview went well or to hell completely, but people do insist that I interview well. Especially the sales people in the two consultancy firms I've been employed by the last 5 years.
    I do not think I am a borderline psychopath. I just went so deep into the asperger territory that social interaction is always awkward so that it stopped having any significant meaning for me, I say what I want with as much clarity as I can when the topic is about something I have knowledge of. Otherwise I just keep my mouth shut. I am blunt and honest about what I know, my skills and abilities, as well as the limits.
    If they are looking for someone with a skillset that does not match mine, we're both done a service if my honesty can help avoid them picking me out of some misguided belief in abilities that I do not have.
    There's more work than programmers around these parts anyways, even if a majority of men are employed in the IT sector around these parts. :D

• @stillwater

I learned not to turn on the "visible to recruiters" on monster.

My favorite one was.

[name]

Please tell me if you're interested and have the qualifications for the below position.

Thanks.

[some footer banner with contact info]

• One of them turned out to be a con.

They tell you it's a position, you end up in a group interview where they try to convince you to join a just-legal-enough pyramid scheme.

• Today:

Hi Vendors,

I just want to check your ID.

If you are active then Reply .

• @magus said in Indian Recruiters:

Today:

Hi Vendors,

I just want to check your ID.

If you are active then Reply .

I hate it when people use that tone where they don't even try to be polite. Should be asked to fuck right off but even that much would be giving these guys unwarranted attention.

• Banned

@stillwater spammers are like trolls: if you reply, they win.

• @gąska even if the response is a voice saying "nuclear launch detected" in that StarCraft voice? And there actually being nukes on the way?

• @gąska said in Indian Recruiters:

@stillwater spammers are like trolls: if you reply, they win.

Agreed. Just dump it in junk mail and make the email address as blocked sender, and then pretend the email didn't exists.