Royale Prerogative

• So, I was listening to a podcast, where people were talking about how Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is really a low-effort implementation of a generic idea. After talking about the fact that no one plays arena shooters anymore, and it gave me an idea...

As some of you may know, the last forum I actively participated was the forum for a game called Warsow. It's a free, open-source game that started its life as a Quake 2 mod, but by now has none of the old code left, and actually has a really cool game engine. Honestly, the story behind why that forum disappeared this year is super interesting, and I wish crizis and vic were here to tell you all about it, though it's also super depressing.

Anyway, the point is, the last changes to the game involved massive renderer improvements, which allow for some really large player counts. Additionally, the gametype scripting and map scripting (the latter of which i nagged them into implementing :D ) allow for some things most games can't manage - it's possible to have entire gametypes that would be mods in most games be a couple angelscript files, that the clients may not even need to download.

The long and the short of it is, I bet this dead game would be able to support a really interesting Battle Royale mode - make a giant map in radiant, place around markers for areas that close off, and have structures that get random item drops inside them, and you basically have a really good battle royale with no extra content needed.

The game's momentum-redirecting dash and walljump basically mean you don't need much to make even a huge map traversible, and you could make it far more... vertical than most games.

Maybe I won't get around to bothering, but if I ever did, would anyone here be up for trying it?

• @magus said in Royale Prerogative:

Additionally, the gametype scripting and map scripting (the latter of which i nagged them into implementing ) allow for some things most games can't manage - it's possible to have entire gametypes that would be mods in most games be a couple angelscript files, that the clients may not even need to download.

Sounds like Tribes.

Shifter.V1 FOR LIFE!

• @magus Also that's pretty unfair to PUBG. It just goes to show that implementation matters, not ideas.

Sure DayZ had a similar idea, but guess what? DayZ is sitting abandoned and unfinished and shitty as hell.

• @blakeyrat Probably. I think there was even a high number of people who had played tribes in that community, since tribes is the only other FPS with comparable speed and control at speed.

• @blakeyrat said in Royale Prerogative:

It just goes to show that implementation matters, not ideas.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, But PUBG is one of the most buggy games ever according to everyone I've ever talked to, and uses almost entirely stock assets. That's not a horrible thing in and of itself, just a place where something could beat it.

Also that's pretty unfair to PUBG. It just goes to show that implementation matters fuckall, as PUBG is wildly popular anyway despite being a hot $30 mess

I haven't played it actually, it's a multiplayer shooter and if I wanted to hear how much of a whore my mom is I'd call Dad on Friday evening. The concept is fun on paper though, and it's not like indie games haven't been showing time and time again that if the game plays well, players are able to forgive the utter lack of graphics and even a bunch of bugs.

• @maciejasjmj I don't think it does play well. It does well for streaming because it's 90% downtime, because the map is insanely huge. But that means most of the game is people lurking around trying to avoid eachother, and occasionally dying to the walls closing in.

The reason I want to try to make something like it in Warsow is that the ease of movement allows you to warn people when an area is going to close up, and let them sprint for it, even if most of them will die in the attempt because players can predict them.

Mostly I just feel like more can be done, and I might be able to put an interesting spin on it.

• Didn't do much on this over the weekend, but I downloaded radiant and got VSCode to open the gametype scripts directory. I'm going to have to look at the code for the comb and diffuse gametype to learn to make placeable objects used only by scripts.

It looks like the people who started Radiant back up lost whatever information made version 1.5 compatible with Warsow, so 1.6.5 doesn't have support apparently. Shouldn't really matter, though I don't admittedly know what the 1.6+ versions provide.

If I actually focus on this, it could be rather interesting.

• area_pol

@magus said in Royale Prerogative:

If I actually focus on this, it could be rather interesting.

I can try testing the game with you :)

• @magus said in Royale Prerogative:

and occasionally dying to the walls closing in.

I'm annoyed nobody's yet made the proposed alternative where the map doesn't get smaller, but the players get bigger. And if indoors get crushed to death.

and occasionally dying to the walls closing in.

I'm annoyed nobody's yet made the proposed alternative where the map doesn't get smaller, but the players get bigger. And if indoors get crushed to death.

liliput

• @ben_lubar said in Royale Prerogative:

liliput

Ben that's not what Lilliput was, and you know it. Lilliput was cooler.

• @blakeyrat I think Unreal Tournament 3 had that mode. If you kept doing well, you'd become kaiju-sized with a chain rocket launcher and stuff, and then you could detonate yourself.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@blakeyrat said in Royale Prerogative:

It just goes to show that implementation matters, not ideas.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, But PUBG is one of the most buggy games ever according to everyone I've ever talked to, and uses almost entirely stock assets. That's not a horrible thing in and of itself, just a place where something could beat it.

I must be strange. It's been pretty stable for me, and works as expected.

Mostly. I've had some strange crashes in the dune buggy. Auto crashes, not program crashes. (Spin, baby, spin!)

@maciejasjmj said in Royale Prerogative:

Also that's pretty unfair to PUBG. It just goes to show that implementation matters fuckall, as PUBG is wildly popular anyway despite being a hot $30 mess

I haven't played it actually, it's a multiplayer shooter and if I wanted to hear how much of a whore my mom is I'd call Dad on Friday evening.

Eh, there's not a lot of that as long as you remember to turn off voice. Even if you don't, that's only during loading - people don't want to attract attention to themselves once your actually playing.

Maybe I won't get around to bothering, but if I ever did, would anyone here be up for trying it?

đź‘‹

• @dreikin said in Royale Prerogative:

Mostly. I've had some strange crashes in the dune buggy. Auto crashes, not program crashes. (Spin, baby, spin!)

My biggest complaint is that the physics when exiting cars are kind of wonky-- how it determines whether your character should be hurt is off, because sometimes you get hurt exiting cars that are going ridiculously slow. It's gotten me into the habit of always fully braking to a complete stop before exiting a car.

But that's the only real weirdness I've noticed. Also I haven't played in a couple months; I understand there's a lot more haxors now.

@dreikin said in Royale Prerogative:

My biggest complaint is that the physics when exiting cars are kind of wonky-- how it determines whether your character should be hurt is off, because sometimes you get hurt exiting cars that are going ridiculously slow. It's gotten me into the habit of always fully braking to a complete stop before exiting a car.

Yeah, that's not been a lot of fun either. It's generally easy-ish to avoid and makes conceptual sense, but needs some proper tuning for sensibility.

But that's the only real weirdness I've noticed. Also I haven't played in a couple months; I understand there's a lot more haxors now.

One of the news posts I saw around the time of the official release was about them banning something like 1.5 million cheaters, and then they later banned around 100,000 at once after figuring out a particular cheat's log signature.

• So, all I've done so far is make a dumb box map to test out spawning gametype entities, but haven't actually spawned any. I still kind of have to design what I want to do, anyway. I could have area denial spawn randomly on the edges of the map and close in, but I feel like it might be better to specifically place it. I could make it part of the map (So standard gametypes would work in a slowly deteriorating map), or I could do it as part of the gametype (Probably what I'll go with, but...).

So first I need to figure out how to place custom entities that gametypes can use or not, of which domination and bomb may have some decent examples. Since bomb is the most recent gametype, it's actually got somewhat of a project structure, but these gametypes seem to be a good example of code where everything is a number, and therefore somewhat hard to understand at times. I'll put more effort in eventually.

If anyone wants to see what I'm seeing, if you install the game and then go into its install folder, and into the basewsw folder, you'll see some data<something>.pk3s. These are just renamed zip files with the game's data files in them, and the gametypes should be easy to find. It feels like archaeology these days :D

. I could have area denial spawn randomly on the edges of the map and close in, but I feel like it might be better to specifically place it. I could make it part of the map (So standard gametypes would work in a slowly deteriorating map), or I could do it as part of the gametype (Probably what I'll go with, but...).

I think the PUBG version looks like this:

1. Pick random area within the available map space.
    2. Have the barrier move slowly from the edge of the available space to the edge of the new space.
    3. Goto 1 (until game is done)

• @dreikin So, that sounds doable on any map in general, without requiring manually-placed objects. Which is rather nice.

Still, since this game is an arena shooter, ideally there would be open spaces, but also corridors, and because the game causes hitting an upward slope at speed to slide you up the slope and walljumping is important, I'd want to use some rather complex topology, which could lead to cut-off dead ends in random maps. Since verticality is also a concern (you could have your fight take place in some kind of giant space ship or something) it could make sense to have things close off in specific places.

A map designed for it, with maybe some locations where random items spawn, could result in something really interesting.

And no, I don't think I can actually make a good enough map.

• đźš˝ Regular

Not saying I'm going to join your effort — most likely I won't — but just to get my bearings right, you're talking about this Warsow [1] and this Radiant [2], yes?

[1]: https://warsow.net/
    [2]: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/netradiant

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

LilliGET? LilliPOST?

• Considered Harmful

@dkf LilliPatch Kids dolls?

• @zecc Yes to the former, but for the latter I was intending on using GtkRadiant, the original project, which started back up again a few years ago.

The current Warsow site is basically a new one made by the original maker after he angered all the people actually writing code into leaving the project. It sounds like he's trying to get it started again, but honestly what matters is that the game as it is now is quite good and easy to mess around with.

It would technically be possible to just fork https://github.com/Qfusion/qfusion and make something standalone, but I can't C++ or art.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dkf said in Royale Prerogative:

LilliGET? LilliPOST?

LilliHEAD.

• @lorne-kates said in Royale Prerogative:

@dkf said in Royale Prerogative:

LilliGET? LilliPOST?

LilliHEAD.

LilliBREW

• Still haven't really done anything on this. Tried making a weird character in Path of Exile, that won't probably work out anyway but might. And visited family. And played Dragon Ball Fighterz.

But sooner or later I'll look through this int-infested code and learn something. Probably. Eventually.