What is 4-year degree?

• Banned

Now that I'm back in Poland, I wanted to resume my unfinished degree. But I just learned that they completely changed the structure of the courses, and what used to be 4-years is now 3.5-years. Which makes me question whether it's any good anymore. The only reason I'm taking it is so I can find job in USA (I have no problem finding one in Poland). When I was hunting for USA jobs, I noticed that many of them require, quote, "4-year degree in Computer Science or similar". Education in Poland works a bit different than in USA - for example, there's no such thing as associate, so bachelor is the lowest degree you can get except for no degree at all. Depending on school, Bachelor's takes 3 to 4 years, but it doesn't affect it's validity (3-year BSc is same as 4-year BSc for the purpose of enrolling for MSc and of looking good to potential employer). But it's not Poland we're talking about, but the USA.

In short - is 3.5-year BSc on foreign university much worse than 4-year BSc on foreign university? Will employers requiring 4-year degree have an issue with 3.5-year BSc?

• This info may or may not be helpful, but I seem to be one of the only developers at my company with a 4-year CS degree. Most developers here have degrees in stuff like Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or something called Computer Engineering which is apparently somehow different from Computer Science.

• @mott555 said in What is 4-year degree?:

This info may or may not be helpful, but I seem to be one of the only developers at my company with a 4-year CS degree. Most developers here have degrees in stuff like Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or something called Computer Engineering which is apparently somehow different from Computer Science.

I took a handful of classes at a university, but I never went for a degree.

@gąska said in What is 4-year degree?:

In short - is 3.5-year BSc on foreign university much worse than 4-year BSc on foreign university? Will employers requiring 4-year degree have an issue with 3.5-year BSc?

I don't think that distinction matters. With what I know of US universities (I may be wrong), there's a separate set of courses that happen during summers, which aren't required for any degree, so a 4 year degree is only really counting 9 of every 12 months.

• The intent of such language is usually to deter people with Associate's degrees (i.e. two-year degrees awarded by community colleges).

• Banned

@ben_lubar said in What is 4-year degree?:

@mott555 said in What is 4-year degree?:

This info may or may not be helpful, but I seem to be one of the only developers at my company with a 4-year CS degree. Most developers here have degrees in stuff like Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or something called Computer Engineering which is apparently somehow different from Computer Science.

I don't think that distinction matters. With what I know of US universities (I may be wrong), there's a separate set of courses that happen during summers, which aren't required for any degree, so a 4 year degree is only really counting 9 of every 12 months.

Same in Poland. Classes are October to June, split into 2 semesters. What I mean is the degree I was taking was shortened from 8 to 7 semesters.

• @gąska said in What is 4-year degree?:

@ben_lubar said in What is 4-year degree?:

@mott555 said in What is 4-year degree?:

Same in Poland. Classes are October to June, split into 2 semesters. What I mean is the degree I was taking was shortened from 8 to 7 semesters.

I'm pretty sure in the USA you don't need to actually take 4 years worth of courses, but a certain number of "credits" with certain required courses and certain restrictions on what you can earn the other credits from.

So if you took an additional course per semester over what's recommended, you could probably do the same thing at a US university.

• @gąska

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Just state that you have a bachelors degree and that will cover it. Very few people are going to grill you on the time you spent on your degree and the ones that would, you wouldn't want to work for anyway.

• @dragoon said in What is 4-year degree?:

@gąska

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Just state that you have a bachelors degree and that will cover it. Very few people are going to grill you on the time you spent on your degree and the ones that would, you wouldn't want to work for anyway.

If anything, finishing a bachelor's degree program in less time means you're better at it than most people.

• ♿ (Parody)

what used to be 4-years is now 3.5-years

I agree with everyone else. Just tell them you got a Bachelor's degree and you're good.

However, out of curiosity, what did they remove from the requirements?

• I got my Bachelor's in NZ, where it's a 3-year course, and that hasn't been a problem.

• FoxDev

"4-year degree in Computer Science or similar"

They want you to have a Bachelors of Science degree, in Comp Sci or a similar field

is msotly bullshit to get your resume through HR in my experience. once you actually start interviewingf with the people you'd be working for they dont give a flying rat's ass about your degrees so long as you can do the work.

and if they do, then you don't want to work for them anyway.

but getting through HR without that degree to get the interviews with the people you want to work for? yeah.... you still need that degree.... :'(

• Banned

@boomzilla said in What is 4-year degree?:

However, out of curiosity, what did they remove from the requirements?

I didn't delve into much detail (it's easier to reverse engineer DirectX than to find info on my uni's wensite), but from what I've gathered so far, it's mostly compressing various multi-semester courses into single semester.

• Banned

One more question. I originally started my degree in 2014. I've had 2-year break, so I'm going to graduate in 2020, or even in 2021 if my uni deems the differences between curricula are so big I ain't gonna make it (even if I could, they won't even let me try). How do put that on resume? Just put grad date or what?

• ♿ (Parody)

How do put that on resume? Just put grad date or what?

Yes.

• Garbage Person

4 year is idiotshorthand for BS or BA.

Which are both shorthand for some shit I'm not going to try to convince a mobile keyboard to accept.

• Banned

Ok. Thanks everyone for help! /topic

• Garbage Person

@gąska dENIED

• FoxDev

Just put grad date or what?

ususally that goes on as "expected date of graduation" in my experience.

• FoxDev

@weng said in What is 4-year degree?:

Which are both shorthand for some shit I'm not going to try to convince a mobile keyboard to accept.

Bachelors of Science (or Bachelors of the Sciences) (Think: my field is a science because it runs on actual science mothertableflippers!)

and Bachelors of the Arts (think Liberal Arts Major)

• Impossible Mission - B

@accalia said in What is 4-year degree?:

(think Liberal Arts Major)

Why is this a thing, but there's no Conservative Arts major?

• FoxDev

@masonwheeler said in What is 4-year degree?:

@accalia said in What is 4-year degree?:

(think Liberal Arts Major)

Why is this a thing, but there's no Conservative Arts major?

becasue latin?

also :donotwant.avi:

• @accalia said in What is 4-year degree?:

@weng said in What is 4-year degree?:

Bachelors of Science (or Bachelors of the Sciences) (Think: my field is a science because it runs on actual science mothertableflippers!)

and Bachelors of the Arts (think Liberal Arts Major)

I have a BA in CS! (after I graduated, they moved CS to the engineering department)

• Impossible Mission - B

@dcon said in What is 4-year degree?:

after I graduated, they moved CS to the engineering department

Where did it used to be?

• @masonwheeler said in What is 4-year degree?:

after I graduated, they moved CS to the engineering department

Where did it used to be?

I forget - I graduated in 1985 (I'd have to find my diploma). Point was (that I failed to make) that CS moved from a BA to a BS. I should also mention, at the time CS had 2 tracks - business and math. I went the math route.

• The olde paperwork game.....

I do not have a 4 year degree. If I did, it would be over 35 years old and in Physics.... Not exactly relevant...

Yet it still comes up...even when booking corp-corp consultings.....

• :belt_onion:

I have a BA in CS!

Likewise; the BA CS program was actually more CS-intensive in my university since it didn't spend tons of credits on the engineering school's general education requirements (calculus, chemistry, physics, all that stuff I'd never use).

• @heterodox said in What is 4-year degree?:

I have a BA in CS!

Likewise; the BA CS program was actually more CS-intensive in my university since it didn't spend tons of credits on the engineering school's general education requirements (calculus, chemistry, physics, all that stuff I'd never use).

90% of developers and programmers really do not use computer SCIENCE either :)

• @heterodox said in What is 4-year degree?:

I have a BS in CS for a similar reason; some of the liberal arts requirements (notably, the two years of a foreign language) were replaced with math and CS classes.

• This post is deleted!