I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!

• area_pol

I have a mini PC at home, which sole purpose is to run a browser to play stuff from Netflix, its display being my TV, of course. There's no point in throwing money at the thing, so it's a pretty low budget configuration, plus I didn't see a reason to buy OS for it. For last 2 years or so, it had Ubuntu 16.something (I think). Apart from initial problems with display (desktop moved to the left, with about 5cm offscreen), it worked ok.

The only thing other than running Chrome and watching Netflix I did on that system was to click 'ok, install updates' every two weeks or so, when constant nagging about them got on my nerves. Some time ago the update process finished with this result: "New version of Chrome is not supported on this ancient Ubuntu install. Do you want to upgrade your OS automagically?". Hmm, ok, why not, I'm installing updates anyway. >click<
    Two minutes passes and: "It's not possible to upgrade automagically".
    Ok, great UX, as expected. Let's just forget about updates and use what is installed until it stops working.

All was fine and dandy until three days ago I accidentally clicked 'install updates' again. Nothing to worry about, it will just run in circles for a minute or two and fail. "Updates installed successfuly." Wait, what? What was installed exactly? Not the unsupported version of Chrome, surely...
    Click Chrome icon, 30 seconds of silence, "Chrome crashed. Run it again?", 30 seconds of silence, "Chrome crashed. [...]".
    What a piece of crap. Oh well, I quess it's time to install newer version of the OS.
    Installation goes fine, select language, next, next, next, copying files, done.

πŸ’» Want to reboot?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Yes.
    πŸ’» Welcome to something that looks like a desktop, but doesn't actually work. Do you want to install Ubuntu?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» What is this shit? I already installed the OS. No, don't install anything, just let me use the desktop and stuff.
    πŸ’» Ok, no installation for you. What do you want to do now?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Open system menu.
    πŸ’» Not working πŸ˜ƒ
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» ... start browser?
    πŸ’» Not working, ha ha ha.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Wait, is this some kind of live shit booted from USB? WTF?!?! WHY? Reboot and show me boot options.
    πŸ’» Yes master.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Fuck me.

OCZ VERTEX
    (ubuntu) OCZ VERTEX
    OCZ VERTEX
    (UEFI System)
    (ubuntu) OCZ VERTEX
    (UEFI) OCZ VERTEX

πŸ‘¦πŸ» I don't even... Disable booting from USB and boot from (ubuntu) OCZ VERTEX, the first one.
    πŸ’» Welcome to your new desktop. What do you want to do now?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Start Firefox. Go to Netflix.
    πŸ’» Continue watching?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Yes.
    πŸ’» Not working.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Ehhh. Open software center.
    πŸ’» Here you go. I found 4 packages online. Also no repositories are available.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» What? Reload available packages.
    πŸ’» I found 4 packages online. There is no internet connection. That's a total of 0 packages found.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» ... Download Chrome from Google.
    πŸ’» Downloaded. What to do with this file?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Install it.
    πŸ’» Installation successful. And also installation failed.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» What?
    πŸ’» Nothing. No info. Everything is fine. Why?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Start Chrome?
    πŸ’» Of course.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Go to Netflix. Continue watching.
    πŸ’» [movie plays]
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Good. Glad it's over.
    πŸ’» [system freeze] ha ha

Googling for Ubuntu system freeze solution gives a fuckton of results. All not working. Or maybe some work. Who knows, but what is certain is that comments like "MONTHS OF HELL!" are not encouraging.
    Right, so let's ditch Ubuntu and find something else. But what... someone told me that Mint is hassle free. Ok, their site says that streaming services work great, they have a screenshot with Netflix...
    and someone rants on forum that 'we are 100% compatible with Netflix!'. Looks good, let's install that.

Language, next, next, next, reboot. Check boot options... Huh, no new partitions, and no 'Mint' mentioned. That's good, maybe.

πŸ’» Hello! Welcome to your brand new fantastic Mint desktop.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Sure, great, start Firefox, go to Netflix.
    πŸ’» Netflix wants to use DRM, enable that?
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Oh, that's promising. Yes, enable.
    πŸ’» All good to go.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Continue watching.
    πŸ’» Pff. Not working, you moran.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» I'm still calm. I'm still calm... Open software center.
    πŸ’» Quadrilion packages found.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Search for Chrome.
    πŸ’» We only have Chromium, but it's even better.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Ok, install that, go to Netflix and continue watching.
    πŸ’» It is a not working.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Download Chrome. Install.
    πŸ’» Chrome installed. Also Chrome is not an installable package, couldn't install it.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» So it's installed or not?
    πŸ’» It sure is.
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Continue watching...
    πŸ’» [movie plays]
    πŸ’» [second movie plays alright too]
    πŸ‘¦πŸ» Phew, that was close, almost lost my temper. Now let's disable updates and never think about it again. Open system settings.
    πŸ’» [system freeze]

• β™Ώ

@mrl said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

"New version of Chrome is not supported on this ancient Ubuntu install. Do you want to upgrade your OS automagically?".

Was it 32-bit install? Chrome only ships 64-bit browsers for Linux any more.

• area_pol

@boomzilla said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

"New version of Chrome is not supported on this ancient Ubuntu install. Do you want to upgrade your OS automagically?".

That's possible. I installed it 2 years ago, so I don't remember.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@boomzilla Remember when I told you to 'have fun' in whatever thread that was? I was alluding to shit like this.

• β™Ώ

@pie_flavor I don't get it.

undefined
    boomzilla

@boomzilla I know. You will.

Have you gotten fed up with bash insanity and installed PowerShell yet?

• β™Ώ

@pie_flavor said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

I thought I made it clear that I was going the opposite direction than that. Also, no.

I've tried PowerShell a few times but it was painful.

• Dupa

Yeah, it sounds about right because I’m using elementary OS, which is basically a better Ubuntu 16.04 and it’s getting the usual Chrome updates.

• kills Dumbledore

I've tried PowerShell a few times but it was painful

Yeah, shell languages are like that

• @boomzilla said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

It's really quite nice once you get used to it....and turn off the bloody stupid Execution Policy stuff.

@cursorkeys I especially enjoy the part where you're passing sequences of objects instead of e.g. a textual list of files, and thus don't have to do all sorts of hackery in scripts.

• β™Ώ

@pie_flavor said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

I thought I made it clear that I was going the opposite direction than that. Also, no.

I have an example of why PowerShell is worse than Bash:

With only software distributed by Microsoft, the command bash -c 'echo $1' -- 'hello world' prints nothing in PowerShell and prints hello world in bash. You can access bash by typing bash in PowerShell, after which you will have a bash shell with a bright blue background that's identical to one of the default console colors and also makes it really hard to read text in like half the remaining colors.

• β™Ώ

Next time you're near the machine, run this command and tell us what it says:

uname -a

@ben_lubar How is that something bad about Powershell? Yes, you can start bash from it, if you've configured either Cygwin or the Linux Subsystem. But just about the only thing I can see in that post which is an actual complaint is the color, which is configurable.

• What about starting PowerShell from bash? 🚎

0_1513254687797_ps-from-bash.png

• Something in your system is incompatible with Ubuntu drivers and causes crashes. That sucks.

But getting frustrated because you continued to use the system after you knew that it was going to crash all the fucking time was your own damn fault.

• area_pol

@anonymous234 said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

Something in your system is incompatible with Ubuntu drivers and causes crashes. That sucks.

But getting frustrated because you continued to use the system after you knew that it was going to crash all the fucking time was your own damn fault.

You didn't read my post at all or you just didn't understand it?

• β™Ώ

@ben_lubar How is that something bad about Powershell? Yes, you can start bash from it, if you've configured either Cygwin or the Linux Subsystem. But just about the only thing I can see in that post which is an actual complaint is the color, which is configurable.

0_1513268886085_a9a2819b-e199-4687-8221-7a547a3c317d-image.png

I don't have Cygwin installed. This is Microsoft software being broken.

Also, if you do this: bash -c '$1' -- 'echo hello world' it works in PowerShell for no apparent reason.

• kills Dumbledore

@ben_lubar Ben, remember how we talked about explaining things rather than just repeating the assertion? You appear to be saying that Powershell is worse than Bash because running a Bash script works in Bash and not in Powershell. By that logic, the SNES is a better console than the PS4 because if you try to put a SNES cartridge in a PS4 you can't play the game

• β™Ώ

@jaloopa said in I only wanted to watch some Kimmy Schmidt, for fuck's sake!:

@ben_lubar Ben, remember how we talked about explaining things rather than just repeating the assertion? You appear to be saying that Powershell is worse than Bash because running a Bash script works in Bash and not in Powershell. By that logic, the SNES is a better console than the PS4 because if you try to put a SNES cartridge in a PS4 you can't play the game

There are lots of other reasons PowerShell is worse, like the fact that it pretends to have a bunch of bash commands and then doesn't actually attempt to make their interfaces anything like the ones in bash. For example, try wget https://some-address or rm -rf foo bar in PowerShell.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.