ERD

• Do you all know of a good tool to produce an Entity Relationship Diagram from a SQL Server 2000 database?

Ideally, the database would be created from a detailed, well-thought-out set of ERDs, but that's not how we do things around here.  The database was thrown together all willy nilly and now someone in another department needs to know the structure of the database, and they need to know yesterday.

I can create a new Diagram from within SQL Server 2000 which I think will satisfy the people in the other department, but I'm not sure how to get it out of SQL Server 2000 in any meaningful format.  This other department is in another state, so I can't just print it off and walk it over to them...

Any ideas? 

• I always document my MsSql Server databases with Visio.  Create a database diagram document and then reverse engineer it.  I think the option is available in Visio 2003 for Enterprise Arcitects and Visio 2007 Professional.

The other option is to take the existing 2000 diagram and print it to a PDF via a PDF printer like Adobe Acrobat, CutePDF, or pdf 995.

• You can reverse engineer with Case Studio: http://www.casestudio.com/enu/database_design_freeware.aspx

• Aqua Data Studio has a good ERD generation feature; I especially like the various automatic layout options.

• Holy crap I'm an ass. I forgot about this thread completely.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I ended up printing the diagram to PDF.  It was the fastest option and the people asking for the diagram were relatively pleased with it.  Thank you all for the help!

• I can create a new Diagram from within SQL Server 2000 which I think will satisfy the people in the other department, but I'm not sure how to get it out of SQL Server 2000 in any meaningful format.  This other department is in another state, so I can't just print it off and walk it over to them...

Print it off, make a photocopy, put the photocopy on a wooden table, take a picture with a digital camera, and email them a word document containing the file.