I want to buy an android phone, too!

• area_can

Looking to buy a replacement for my nexus 5x. From what I can tell, I have 4 options:

Google pixel
    No headphone jack, 'nuff said.
    Samsung
    I browse this forum, 'nuff said.
    LG
    I sent in my original 5X for replacement because it died (apparently a mainboard issue). LG seems to have a history of producing phones with issues.
    Sony
    I am wary of their software, but apparently their new phones are OK. but pricey for what you get.

I don't really care about camera, NFC, android pay, bluetooth etc. I just want a luddite phone that is fast and won't shit itself if I try to run more than 3 apps at a time (my nexus 5X does this often). any suggestions?

mind you, this is Canada so we get screwed over on phone prices.

• @bb36e is the Moto X4 available there? From what I hear, it's comparable to the pixel 2 but with a 3.5mm jack. Slightly worse specs, but cheaper.

• @bb36e You could get the Moto whatever I got when I posted this same question a few weeks ago. It's only $200, unlocked.

EDIT: I guess URL could help: https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01NBRN2YI?th=1

• Do you want to buy it from a carrier, or are you willing to pay for it out of your own pocket? If the latter, have a look at a OnePlus.

https://oneplus.net/

• 🚽 Regular

@bb36e said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Looking to buy a replacement for my nexus 5x. From what I can tell, I have 4 options:

Google pixel
    No headphone jack, 'nuff said.
    Samsung
    I browse this forum, 'nuff said.
    LG
    I sent in my original 5X for replacement because it died (apparently a mainboard issue). LG seems to have a history of producing phones with issues.
    Sony
    I am wary of their software, but apparently their new phones are OK. but pricey for what you get.

I don't really care about camera, NFC, android pay, bluetooth etc. I just want a luddite phone that is fast and won't shit itself if I try to run more than 3 apps at a time (my nexus 5X does this often). any suggestions?

mind you, this is Canada so we get screwed over on phone prices.

Xiaomi make some really nice phones that meet your requirements.

Edit: If you had a Nexus 5X then I guess you want a big screen, The Xiaomi Mi 5X is slightly bigger at 5.5": https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_704581.html

They do one for pretty much any budget though.

That one @blakeyrat mentioned looks nice too.

• kills Dumbledore

I really think flagship level phones are a waste of money these days. There's bugger all you can do with a pixel or galaxy s8 that you can't do equally well on a £200 mud range phone, especially if you're not too fussed about camera quality. With computers, spending more can future proof you but any phone's battery is going to die at about the same age, and without rooting you won't have up to date android versions after a couple of years.

So yeah, go for the moto G5, Sony Xperia xa1 (ultra if you want the bigger screen) or a Nokia. Buy it outright and get a cheap sim only deal and you'll be laughing

• I went with the Pixel 2 after my Nexus 5X met a similar fate. IMO, the most impressive thing about it is how fast it is. I've had it for 2 weeks, and this is the only Android phone I've ever used that has never lagged on me a bit. Update your apps, surf the web, shoot pictures, nothing ever seems to make the UI less than snappy. Suck on that, HTC!

The lack of a headphone jack is a little lame, I guess, but it does come with a USB-C to headphone jack adapter. I miss being able to plug my right-angle headphone plug right into the phone, since straight connectors tend to make it awkward to put in a pocket, but at least I don't need to get new headphones.

I suppose being officially waterproof is nice too, no worries using it while walking around in the rain.

Do we hate Samsung now for some reason? Is it about the exploding phones?

• Java Dev

@undergroundcode said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Have you not been Enlightened yet?

• area_can

@benjamin-hall said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

is the Moto X4 available there? From what I hear, it's comparable to the pixel 2 but with a 3.5mm jack. Slightly worse specs, but cheaper.

unfortunately not. amazon US lists it for $400, so it'll probably be at least $600 when it reaches the shores of north of the 49th parallel anyways

@alexmedia said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Do you want to buy it from a carrier...have a look at a OnePlus.

Ideally I wanna buy from carrier but if the phone is cheap, I'm open to buying it outright. That said, oneplus seems to be pretty sketchy and I've heard bad things about their support.

@blakeyrat said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

You could get the Moto whatever I got when I posted this same question a few weeks ago. It's only $200, unlocked.

seems promising. it's 350 here which is, unfortunately, not bad compared to the competition. seems to have the same amount of RAM as my current laggy phone, but people on the internet are saying that my phone has a shitty chipset so that might OK.

@cursorkeys said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Edit: If you had a Nexus 5X then I guess you want a big screen

it's funny you should say this! I'm actually getting a little annoyed by how big this thing is. not a huge fan of having to move my hands around to reach every corner of the screen. I looked at some new compact phone sony was releasing, but that thing's 650+CA (+ tax) and has to be imported, so it's not very appealing anymore.

@jaloopa said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

I really think flagship level phones are a waste of money these days.

Agreed. I'm not going to use mine for more than reddit/TDWTF/other forums/other blogs and hipster news sites. perhaps we should create nodebb mobile benchmark for comparing phones.

Do we hate Samsung now for some reason?

samsung's software is a shit, look for references to 'enlightenment' on this forum for more information

• :belt_onion:

Do we hate Samsung now for some reason?

Yes.

Is it about the exploding phones?

No, but that's the lithium-polymer icing on the Enlightened cake.

• @atazhaia said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Have you not been Enlightened yet?

Hadn't seen that one, quality rant. Fortunately, Google bitch-slapped Samsung and forced them to use Android with all Google apps available, so they're relegated to building crappy Android add-ons that you can mostly turn off. Not like I'd recommend anyone to use a Tizsen phone, if they're actually still making them. Probably spelled it wrong, but I don't care about it enough to bother looking up how to actually spell it.

• @bb36e said in I want to buy an android phone, too!:

Ideally I wanna buy from carrier but if the phone is cheap, I'm open to buying it outright. That said, oneplus seems to be pretty sketchy and I've heard bad things about their support.

I own a OnePlus 3T and I am quite happy with it. The phone is fast, has great battery life (although it fluctuates quite a bit between updates) and is updated regularly.

OxygenOS itself is pretty neat too, it stays as close to stock Android as possible, but adds useful features here and there. There's no bloatware or UI-horribleness like you see on Samsung devices.

I haven't had to deal with 1+ support yet so I can't tell you about that.

• I've had a phone of Huawei. It was quite decent. Not stock Android, in particular they make the home screen behave more like on iOS. But it works fine and it also got updates regularly. I don't have it anymore because it got pickpocketed.

• area_can

@alexmedia gotcha. Seems like a nice phone. Too bad it's $730 here... :/

• Notification Spam Recipient

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 compact. It's pretty close to stock Android and overall it's pleasant to use. I can recommend Sony phones and will keep buying them, but mostly because they're the only big brand name that still makes flagship phones with < 5 inch screens