Windows 10 Fail Craters Update

• :belt_onion:

Blue Screen of Death
    kmode_exception_not_handled
    classpnp.sys

So far, Googling only turns up that classpnp,sys is some sort of SCSI driver and people have been reporting problems with it as far back as Windows XP circa 2002.. As an extra added bonus. when it crashes, it corrupts everything on my external hard drive.

Then, last night, it happened again. This is the 4th time in a month. I'm pretty sure I've never had 4 BSODs total since I stopped using Windows XP 10 years ago. Fortunately, my external drive was disconnected when Windows crashed this time, so I was spared the trouble of restoring everything, again, but it also shoots down my theory that the external drive may have been the problem.

Fuck You Microsoft. Seriously, just Fuck You. Windows 10 is a flakey, brittle mess. Back to Windows 7, for a very long time to come, so it seems.

• area_can

Does anyone know when this update is supposed to come out?

0_1512225700338_953abba3-9f67-4cb3-aeea-09f4edccf7b7-image.png

• :belt_onion:

@el_heffe Do you have any anti-malware or other monitoring software installed? It seems way more likely that this is a storage mini-port driver or something than classpnp. (The attribution on the BSOD is not always correct which may be why the issue went "unfixed" for so long... wasn't their issue.)

• ♿ (Parody)

I don't know if it was the Fail Craters update but Win10 on my daughter's machine (formerly mine) updated recently and the graphics driver would only offer less than native resolutions. Reverted the driver and it's back to functional.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@izzion @Tsaukpaetra

So, I now believe that what I did to fix it last time was "reinstall the manufacturer's video card driver / software". I had been planning toward my periodic video card upgrade this month anyway, and after doing that (and reinstalling drivers, since I switched chipset makers this time) my computer is now powersave sleeping the displays as expected.

• @bb36e I got an email the other day saying it had only just been released. Despite having been released weeks ago. Also they delay the release depending on your hardware and installed software so who even knows what the answer to your question is.

• area_can

@lb_ I don't think i have received the update from last year either, i am really missing out on 3d paint.exe

• @bb36e I'm in the same boat. The currently reigning theory is "wifi card drivers that don't play nice with Creators Update, so those machines will get Fall Creators Update instead when it comes out," except FCU is out now so that story no longer holds water.

You can download the "Get Current" package from the "show me how" link there and give installing it a try. Make sure you have another bootable device for recovery, just in case you get stuck in an apply/rollback loop.

• @el_heffe said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

@gąska said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

@magus cool. Now, if only there was an app that I can use to view, not edit pictures.

By view, I mean browse pictures one after another in quick succession, with each one opening in no more than half second.

@parody said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

I don't have that problem using the Photos app as a replacement for the Windows Photo Viewer from Windows 7. It has some major flaws (it resizes images smaller than the window to the window size, it doesn't resize images larger than the window size to fit, and you can't loop from the last picture in a folder to the first) but it works OK in a pinch.

Which is exactly why I still have this on all my computers:

0_1510834053430_acdsee.png

It does exactly what you described, without any of the flaws mentioned, works well, is fast and runs on any version of Windows, including Windows 10. Of course there's no way to get it any more, due to being 17 years old, so I keep a few backup copies. There are newer versions available, but, like most software, it has evolved into a bloated mess.

I think it's a pretty sad commentary on the state of current software that a 17 year old program is still better than anything available today.

IrfanView works pretty well. It's free and readily available.

• @hungrier I like the idea of irfanview, but it opens .lnks in the context of the target image's folder, while windows photo viewer opens in the shortcut's folder context. That's enough to be a deal breaker for me.

• Hmm.
    0_1512414991744_ab774062-7a54-4807-8c49-bfe54561d919-image.png

Guess I better just leave it at "Choose one..." then...

• @dcon the dropup list is obscuring this vital piece of information:
    0_1512415547508_6b52fecb-bfcd-4b27-b46d-27bfb689abbd-image.png

• @lb_ Doesn't look like it, the "Learn more" is visible in his screenshot.

• @hungrier oh huh, yeah now that I look I can't actually figure out how or where that screenshot was taken. The only similarity is the sentence about Cortana working best. My settings app doesn't have the search bar on the left and I can't find any of those categories under "Search". Must be since I'm on the latest update.

• @lb_ Microsoft has been killin' it at subtly changing around all the settings so you never quite know what you're supposed to be looking at lately.

• area_can

@hungrier it seems like they're taking a page from Facebook, where no two users' app installations look the exact same, and everyone has their own special features

• @bb36e I think Facebook runs AB testing just to find out whether they should run AB testing.

• @lb_ said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

the dropup list is obscuring this vital piece of information:

Ah... no.
    0_1512426354323_66b0d76a-ce6a-4043-98fe-2ee8324eeff7-image.png

• @dcon This comes from the "Search" settings (next to Update)
    0_1512426447951_472b1ae5-ed7f-4197-9916-add0ba6f505e-image.png

oh, and my systems at home don't have this setting - so it's likely an Enterprise thing.

• @dcon Perhaps it's because Cortana is disabled?
    0_1512436093502_f5bb276f-724c-49c2-8f81-efbdf790c0aa-image.png
    Or maybe it just is an Enterprise thing.

• @lb_ Most likely.

0_1512448877109_a0aa65c4-1ee3-4fea-b2ef-dc47e8be3104-image.png

Especially since the cortana settings are exactly the same as the search ones, but with the word Cortana.

• @lb_ said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

Perhaps it's because Cortana is disabled?

Didn't think I had ... huh. I'll have to check when I get to work tomorrow...

• ♿ (Parody)

I find this funny because Fall is already over and only ~53% of computers have updated.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@boomzilla said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

only ~53% of computers have updated.

It's entirely possible that most of the non-conformist PCs can't. On my machine, it complains that my partition layout is ugly and just gives up (because, you know, impossible to know what partition Windows is on after all).

• ♿ (Parody)

@tsaukpaetra said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

@boomzilla said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

only ~53% of computers have updated.

It's entirely possible that most of the non-conformist PCs can't. On my machine, it complains that my partition layout is ugly and just gives up (because, you know, impossible to know what partition Windows is on after all).

That's even funnier.

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra You are one of the few people I know who have consistent problems with Windows. You are also one of the few people I know who does extremely weird things with their computer's internals. :thonking:

• @pie_flavor And you're the only person I know who doesn't experience any problems with Discourse 🚎

• @tsaukpaetra said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

Yeah ... I have a separate (physical) drive for Windows, but the boot process goes through the other physical drive with Linux. None of the major updates have worked so far for me. After a reboot, the updates start, then the machine reboots and Windows will load without any complaints. It'll even display the "Update successful" notification. Of course, no update was installed.

It took me quite a bit of messing about to have the update process display an error code, and then a ton of searching to find one obscure post on reddit that mentions that you have to physically unplug all other drives before starting the update ... nothing else worked for me.

Since I CBA to do that, fall crater will have to wait. On the plus side, this apparently saved me from quite a bit of consternation with Fallout4 VR. Apparently fo4vr performs quite a bit worse after the fail creator update (whether this is on MS or Bethesda, I don't know. Probably both.).

• Java Dev

@cvi said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

Yeah ... I have a separate (physical) drive for Windows, but the boot process goes through the other physical drive with Linux. None of the major updates have worked so far for me. After a reboot, the updates start, then the machine reboots and Windows will load without any complaints. It'll even display the "Update successful" notification. Of course, no update was installed.

That's odd. My computer which dual-boots Linux and Windows updates without problems, even though the Linux drive is connected to SATA port 1 and Windows to SATA port 2, with the BIOS (yes, that old) set to boot from the Linux drive.

• @atazhaia said in Windows 10 Fail Craters Update:

That's odd. My computer which dual-boots Linux and Windows updates without problems, even though the Linux drive is connected to SATA port 1 and Windows to SATA port 2, with the BIOS (yes, that old) set to boot from the Linux drive.

Weird, that sounds fairly similar to my setup (though IIRC, I boot via EFI). :-/ It's definitively been reproducible for me so far. The previous update failed at least half a dozen times that way before I got around to looking at it. That involved probably another half a dozen attempts (via Windows Update, an updater utility from Microsoft and whatnot). Unplugging the other drives finally made it run.

The same thing has kept happening with the current update (twice or so, now I just postpone it because it'll otherwise keep re-downloading a bunch of stuff). I admit that I've not tried unplugging the drives to see if that fixes it this time around.