tfel ot thgir morf daer I skniht ebodA

• Here’s something I’ve noticed InDesign CC doing at times, but I only now managed to capture it for posterity:

0_1509043517970_123456.png

Note the caret position. I then press 7:

0_1509043531028_1234567.png

Yes, the 654321 I typed as 123456 as well. For some reason it sometimes gets RTL and LTR mixed up, but corrects itself if you do something like select the whole text box contents with {|Ctrl }A or switch to a different control and back.

• Arabic numerals?

• @gurth Where did you expect the 7 to appear when the caret is in front of the 6? Because your screenshots look correct to me.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said in tfel ot thgir morf daer I skniht ebodA:

Where did you expect the 7 to appear when the caret is in front of the 6?

It sounds like the gravity on the caret is inverted. Because that's obviously the right thing to do in that context.

• @gurth this probably would've made more sense if your second screenshot showed that the caret was before the 7 now (and you pinky swear you didn't put it there with the left arrow key after typing 7).

• I mean, aside from the position of the caret issue, can we talk about how awful those fields look for a company that makes tools for graphic design? Goddamned. Did they outsource that UI to Linux users?

What happens if you type a letter with a descender, like a "g", does it go under the lower field boundary? Above it? Does it bump the character up? Bump the whole line of text up? How did nobody notice that before shipping?

• @blakeyrat said in tfel ot thgir morf daer I skniht ebodA:

@gurth Where did you expect the 7 to appear when the caret is in front of the 6? Because your screenshots look correct to me.

OK, I see now that might not have made clear enough what I meant — I should have captured the caret in the second screenshot too, I guess.c

What happened is this: with the caret right after the colon, I typed a 1. Without pressing any other keys, I then hit the 2, the 3, etc. giving the result shown.

Edit: Got back to my computer now for @blakeyrat’s other question:

0_1509045797358_abcdefgandsoon.png

Yep, the lower parts of the descenders disappear.

The whole UI of CC is a piece of shit, really. At least in ≤CS6 most (but not all) of it looked OS X-native, in CC it looks like a Windows clone, and much of it just doesn’t feel very well.