And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...

• BINNED

Bought a new mouse yesterday. It has all kinds of fancy "gaming" features. Screw it, bought it because it looked good for the price. Anyway, among all the fancy stuff it also has a logo cut out in its case with a yellow LED behind it which is on all the time. This annoys me. Well, I guess I can try to download their software and see if there's a way to turn it off.

Ok, off the the website we go aaaand...

0_1508226746431_197ac380-b406-4cce-a0d0-f6a4f269471d-image.png

Fuck me. Note that only the landing page shows this, I got to the product page directly from Google so I haven't actually seen this until more desperate clicking later on when I tried to find an older version of the software or something, in the hope that only the latest one is busted. So, the following procedure wasn't just me dicking around, that's the way I initially downloaded the thing.

So, what happens in Chrome / WebKit browsers in general?

0_1508226958844_100517e5-61be-4b1a-b3c0-8af798560fd7-image.png

Uh-huh. I wonder...

0_1508227120660_e746fba8-2b7b-4615-9123-dd100e2e823a-image.png

A-HA!

0_1508227161776_a994fab9-b845-4dd9-a990-f4d44d4dc711-image.png

Victory!

Or not. Because the software is a broken piece of shit.

Exhibit A:

0_1508225657670_50f29748-e881-477e-84ca-4488658d98f2-image.png

Yeah, that's the default install location. Yes, it broke when I placed it in C:\Program Files (x86)\hera. Maybe. Or maybe it's just the shortcut that's broken because even installing it in C:\hera it crashes when started from the shortcut in the start menu. Had to start it by directly clicking the exe.

Exhibit B:

0_1508226269045_9c0c94cc-b59d-437e-8520-779ac710818c-image.png

Whether or not this is connected to the shortcut not working and some parameters or whatevers not being set, I don't know. It shouldn't be, but as we all know...

So, the different device buttons on the bottom are missing images and don't do jack. Those rectangular-ish frames on the right should be buttons. They are not. I'm buttuming these are just cosmetic outline elements (because someone couldn't figure out how to do it on the buttons themselves I guess).

The only things that work:

• clicking the undefined HERA button opens the settings for the application. No device settings, mind, just the settings for the application itself.
    • clicking any of the "we didn't steal this from deviantart, honest!" pictures takes me to the product website. Thanks.
    • clicking the right facing red arrow thing in the top left corner... takes me to a YouTube video showing me how to use the software. Gee. Thanks. Sadly, I DON'T HAVE THE BUTTONS YOU'RE TELLING ME TO CLICK ON!
    • clicking the downward facing arrow in the top right corner minimizes it to tray

And since I opened the directory while trying to start the damned thing, I couldn't help but notice it's written in Qt. But... How? HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO BREAK IT SO BAD? I mean, I use the damned framework myself, you need to work extra hard to fuck it up like that! Oh, it's also Qt4 and uses the QScript module, which was deprecated for what, 2 years now?

Fuck this shit. Next time I'm buying the cheapest piece of shit I can find. Those at least move the cursor without trying to blind me in the process, and don't require any software to turn the said bullshit off.

• Notification Spam Recipient

• SockDev

@onyx go SteelSeries or go home for that kind of bling.

• Fake News

@onyx said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

Bought a new mouse yesterday. It has all kinds of fancy "gaming" features. Screw it, bought it because it looked good for the price. Anyway, among all the fancy stuff it also has a logo cut out in its case with a yellow LED behind it which is on all the time. This annoys me. Well, I guess I can try to download their software and see if there's a way to turn it off.

Fuck me. Note that only the landing page shows this, I got to the product page directly from Google so I haven't actually seen this until more desperate clicking later on when I tried to find an older version of the software or something, in the hope that only the latest one is busted. So, the following procedure wasn't just me dicking around, that's the way I initially downloaded the thing.

Heh, by now "IE" is considered an alternative browser? Also, if you're writing the other browsers with a capital, why not write "Chorme", stupid-ass typo not withstanding...

You sure you checked the reviews and specs of this thing so that there is nothing like "burns down the house"?

• BINNED

@arantor Again, bling was not the factor. It seemed sturdy and about the right size for my dirty mitts while being cheap as dirt, comparatively. I'm not picky about mice. As long as they track my movements, scroll works and has 3 working buttons I'm fine. Keyboards I'm picky about, mice, eh, as long as they're not broken...

Bought a new mouse yesterday. It has all kinds of fancy "gaming" features. Screw it, bought it because it looked good for the price.
    There's your problem, I'm sorry to say. You get what you pay for.
    Anyway, among all the fancy stuff it also has a logo cut out in its case with a yellow LED behind it which is on all the time. This annoys me. Well, I guess I can try to download their software and see if there's a way to turn it off.

hahahahahaha you want to turn off a light on the light-up product? hell no you have to put up with all of it

E_DUPLICATE_ELEMENT at position 2 (previous: 1)
    Also, how in the fuck do you ruin Chrome? That's the browser that most people guarantee compatibility with even if their site won't work on other browsers, not the other way around.

So, what happens in Chrome / WebKit browsers in general?

0_1508226958844_100517e5-61be-4b1a-b3c0-8af798560fd7-image.png

Uh-huh. I wonder...

0_1508227120660_e746fba8-2b7b-4615-9123-dd100e2e823a-image.png

A-HA!

0_1508227161776_a994fab9-b845-4dd9-a990-f4d44d4dc711-image.png

Of course it's PHP.

Victory!

Or not. Because the software is a broken piece of shit.

Exhibit A:

0_1508225657670_50f29748-e881-477e-84ca-4488658d98f2-image.png

Yeah, that's the default install location. Yes, it broke when I placed it in C:\Program Files (x86)\hera. Maybe. Or maybe it's just the shortcut that's broken because even installing it in C:\hera it crashes when started from the shortcut in the start menu. Had to start it by directly clicking the exe.

The list of software that can't handle spaces is undefined although that should be rare behavior on Windows so undefined
    Also, you can just replace the shortcut to actually be functional.

Exhibit B:

0_1508226269045_9c0c94cc-b59d-437e-8520-779ac710818c-image.png

What is this, mouse software or a MOBA?

Whether or not this is connected to the shortcut not working and some parameters or whatevers not being set, I don't know. It shouldn't be, but as we all know...

So, the different device buttons on the bottom are missing images and don't do jack. Those rectangular-ish frames on the right should be buttons. They are not. I'm buttuming these are just cosmetic outline elements (because someone couldn't figure out how to do it on the buttons themselves I guess).

The only things that work:

• clicking the undefined HERA button opens the settings for the application. No device settings, mind, just the settings for the application itself.
    • clicking any of the "we didn't steal this from deviantart, honest!" pictures takes me to the product website. Thanks.
    • clicking the right facing red arrow thing in the top left corner... takes me to a YouTube video showing me how to use the software.

That's incredible.

Gee. Thanks. Sadly, I DON'T HAVE THE BUTTONS YOU'RE TELLING ME TO CLICK ON!

• clicking the downward facing arrow in the top right corner minimizes it to tray

And since I opened the directory while trying to start the damned thing, I couldn't help but notice it's written in Qt. But... How? HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO BREAK IT SO BAD? I mean, I use the damned framework myself, you need to work extra hard to fuck it up like that! Oh, it's also Qt4 and uses the QScript module, which was deprecated for what, 2 years now?

Trust me, if you can go out of your way to ruin graphics software, someone will. I've seen Swing software where the main screen is tiny enough as to be literally illegible on high resolution, can't resize vertically, and resizing horizontally just extends the text fields.

Fuck this shit. Next time I'm buying the cheapest piece of shit I can find. Those at least move the cursor without trying to blind me in the process, and don't require any software to turn the said bullshit off.

Or you could splurge a little more and get something worth your money.

• That's why you should only buy from top brands. Logitech, Microsoft, Razer, if you're low on budget - A4Tech, in Poland there's also Tracer. Other people can probably provide more examples. They're not always the cheapest, but they're guaranteed to work with nearly zero problems.

• BINNED

@jbert said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

You sure you checked the reviews and specs of this thing so that there is nothing like "burns down the house"?

Surely, you can't fuck up something connecting to USB which doesn't contain Li-Ion batteries that ba... Ummm... I may have to take some time of now...

And to all telling me I should've just bought a Logitech or something: yes, I know, but I just needed a thing that makes my cursor jiggy and doesn't squeak when I grab it because it's been made out of recycled sewer pipe! What I'm saying is, "Laugh at Onyx' poor life decisions thread" should be undefined, I just wanted to bitch about the software, mkay?

Also, it works fine without the software, including DPI switching, it's just that frelling light...

• SockDev

it's just that frelling light...

...can be fixed with a mild case of wire cutting.

• BINNED

@arantor said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

it's just that frelling light...

...can be fixed with a mild case of wire cutting.

The thought has crossed my mind. I did come home late and tired yesterday though, so "operation screwdriver" will have to wait. And I'll do it too if it's the only option.

• Fake News

@gąska said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

... top brands. ... Razer, ...

ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Seriously, buttons or the scroll wheel failing after 6 months is not what I'd call worthy of a top brand, I've had cheap mice which lasted longer than that.

I just use my Logitech M570. Never gives me up, never lets me down.

• @onyx said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

I wonder what happens when it runs out of background-position:

@pjh said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

I wonder what happens when it runs out of background-position:

Well? What happens?

• @pie_flavor said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

Well? What happens?

Dunno. It's still going. ~225000 as I type...

• BINNED

@pjh said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

@pie_flavor said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

Well? What happens?

Dunno. It's still going. ~225000 as I type...

And I thought I was bored. Apparently, some people here are so bored they are actually watching the background-position grow...

Filed under: Wonder if it will overflow, or will it be DRY..., Bad pun quota achieved

@pjh I mean, the background is a flat gradient.

• @jbert said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

@gąska said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

... top brands. ... Razer, ...

ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Seriously, buttons or the scroll wheel failing after 6 months is not what I'd call worthy of a top brand, I've had cheap mice which lasted longer than that.

My gaming mouse is branded Trust. Came with a box of weights(1), twelve buttons on the side, and yes it has lights, but they can be adjusted trivially with the software that was in the box with the mouse so that they aren't visible from the Moon. (I have mine set to a soft blue like the non-adjustable lights in my keyboard.)

(1) I tell a lie. It came with an empty box in which I could store the weights that were pre-installed in the mouse, if I felt it wasn't already about the right weight.

• TRWTF is using chorme. Hadn't even heard of it before today.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@martijntje said in And that is why I shouldn't have bought a "gaming" mouse...:

TRWTF is using chorme. Hadn't even heard of it before today.

It is a lot like Chrome but it is made for idiots who can't type and who are dumb enough to install malware.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.