Production

• You know, I've always found it funny that a server on which you should absolutely not never ever produce anything, is called a "production" server.

Or am I just incorrectly verbing a noun, and the production server is the server on which "that which is produced" i.e. "the production" i.e. "the product" rests?

• The term is probably a leftover from Computer Engineering where hardware was developed, tested, released (in production) - common life cycle for most engineering disciplines.   Semantically, it does kind of make sense because production implies "providing or producing value" and that is what the Production environment does (should do) for the customer.  Development and Test servers don't really provide value to the customer directly, rather they help ensure smooth transitions/upgrades.

• I guess it's like how we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway.

• @dhromed said:

You know, I've always found it funny that a server on which you should absolutely not never ever produce anything, is called a "production" server.

Maybe you're using your server wrong. My production server produces happy, smiling customers and grateful business users. YMMV and you may need a patch.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.