The Ideal Software Development Environment

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

@pie_flavor I don't fucking know, I don't watch TV. I watch cinema, like a dignified person.

Perhaps you might like to come out of that hole every once in a while. TV shows are often better than movies, simply because they have so much more runtime to work with, for character development, story, etc. The only advantage of movies is that they can spend a shit-ton more per minute, but special effects aren't nearly as valuable as a compelling story.

• kills Dumbledore

@pie_flavor I don't fucking know, I don't watch TV. I watch cinema, like a dignified person.

I never knew DS9 was released in the cinema

• @jaloopa said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

I never knew DS9 was released in the cinema

Well it's strange that that discrepancy exists, because obviously everything I post to this forum is 100% literally true all the time and never a joke.

• @blakeyrat said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

Well it's strange that that discrepancy exists, because obviously everything I post to this forum is 100% literally true all the time and never a joke.

If you want people to readily recognise your jokes, consider being intentionally funny from time to time.

• Considered Harmful

@gwowen said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

If you want people to readily recognise your jokes, consider being intentionally funny from time to time.

His idea of being funny is insulting something slightly less than usual.

• :belt_onion:

@pie_flavor said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

Is Gradle a shitty tool? I haven't run into any real problems with it IIRC.

You clearly haven't used it with Android Studio (at least the earlier versions. I'm told it's better now)

• @blakeyrat Interesting. But I wonder if such an ideal software development environnement would be even theorically possible

Let's face it, your wish contains an IDE that never, ever freezes or crashes, and prevents bad code to freeze or crash. The second part, especially, looks powerful enough to solve the halting problem.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@johan_b said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

The second part, especially, looks powerful enough to solve the halting problem.

There are ways, but they seriously gimp the capabilities of the software being created (or you're effectively running in a VM, so “crashes” aren't really crashes but the user-visible effect might be similar).

• @scholrlea said in The Ideal Software Development Environment:

you really haven't sat down and explained it all

Maybe the post quoted below isn't all of it, but it's enough:

@blakeyrat said in Microsoft fucks their developers in the ass... AGAIN:

@Bulb said in Microsoft fucks their developers in the ass... AGAIN:

There is no such thing as “open source development methodology”.

I'm talking about those meme-y pieces of shit like:

• Release early, release often

(Aka release broken shit so your users will hate you and never use your product again.)

• Do one thing and do it well

(No actual real life successful software has ever been made this way, ever. In the history of ever. What is the "one thing" Microsoft Excel does? How do you explain its success? How do you explain how it became far MORE successful when it added features that were useless for financial spreadsheets, but very useful for people making lists? Like Mail Merge. Remember what a horrible failure Napster was because it both downloaded files and played MP3s? It did TWO THINGS!)

• All eyes make bugs shallow

(I think this has been thoroughly disproven in the last few years. Just because someone is capable of looking at the code and verifying its correctness doesn't mean anybody actually will. They had to hire developers to fix OpenSSL, volunteers didn't do jack.)

There's no memes, but a few other behaviors common to open source projects:

• Ignore bug reports from users (while simultaneously telling non-technical users that their best way to contribute is to file bug reports).

• Refuse contributions from anybody who can't work Git, including usability experts, graphic designers, etc. Generally treat them like dirt so that all leave and do something more fun than interacting with the open source community, like for example pulling tree trunks with their teeth.

• Do all your communication on obsolete 1970s mediums, like email or IRC, despite the fact that far superior alternatives have existed for years.

• Have zero respect for backwards compatibility.

• Have zero respect for software accessibility. (You're blind? Fuck you, you can't use my beautiful open source program! Yes I would have gotten text-to-speech for free if I'd just used the OS' native controls instead of that GTK+ monstrosity, but fuck you!)

• Have zero respect for the user in general. If a person can't use Git, they're human garbage good only for jeering at.

• Write software by just plugging together 40,000 other pieces of buggy open source software instead of writing new code, even if writing the new code would be significantly quicker and easier than managing your new dependency. (Given: mostly a JavaScript thing.)

• (Apparently) do a somehow successful campaign to promote these bullet points to companies like Microsoft that previously had actually-healthy development practices and built reliable software.

I'm sorry that I'm not using your approved term to describe all this. Let me know what term you'd prefer.

I was going to respond to the rest of your post, but while trying to use my scroll wheel to read it this lovely open source forum software, which exemplifies the rules listed above, decided to scroll all the way to the footer of the page instead.