iOS 11 Thread

• Dupa

Ok, the issue seems to have been identified:

At WIRED's suggestion, Malik asked his wife to re-register her face to see what would happen. After Sherwani freshly programmed her face into the phone, it no longer allowed Ammar access. To further test it, Sherwani tried registering her face again a few hours later, to replicate the indoor, nighttime lighting conditions in which she first set up her iPhone X. The problem returned; Ammar unlocked the phone on his third try this time. It worked again on his sixth try. At that point, Malik says, the phone's AI seemed to learn Ammar's features, and he could consistently unlock it again and again.

• @kt_ said in iOS 11 Thread:

Yes: FaceID 🤷🏽♂

• Dupa

@timebandit said in iOS 11 Thread:

@kt_ said in iOS 11 Thread:

Yes: FaceID 🤷🏽♂

😆

• Notification Spam Recipient

enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one: enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one: enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one: enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one: enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one: enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one:

@kt_ enough about that, this thread is supposed to document iOS 11 fails. So here’s another one:

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE CARET?!

0_1511103771570_EFDDD9E8-F5BD-43DB-9EB9-A58E50C542FC.png

It's clearly after the exclamation mark on the last line.

• :belt_onion:

You just need to either obtain a 3D scan of a person’s face and create a 3D print of it

That's actually probably cheaper than buying a new iPhone, to be perfectly honest.

• Dupa

@sloosecannon said in iOS 11 Thread:

You just need to either obtain a 3D scan of a person’s face and create a 3D print of it

That's actually probably cheaper than buying a new iPhone, to be perfectly honest.

But not that easy or feasible, AFAIK.

• :belt_onion:

I mean, it's harder than buying an iPhone, but it's not all that hard to do. Printing is super easy, the only difficult part would be getting a 3d model of their face without them noticing. But it's not that hard.

• Dupa

I mean, it's harder than buying an iPhone, but it's not all that hard to do. Printing is super easy, the only difficult part would be getting a 3d model of their face without them noticing. But it's not that hard.

I guess we have different definitions of that hard. 🙂

• Notification Spam Recipient

> "Why are you staring at me?"
    < "No reason."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cL05YLP3Ic

• I said in iOS 11 Thread:

Annotating PDFs in iBooks works well, once you get used to living with the bug that the button that brings up the annotations functions disappears if you switch to a different app while you have a PDF open in iBooks. The only solution appears to be closing the PDF, quitting iBooks, re-opening it, and then re-opening the PDF. That it doesn’t remember which pen, colour, font, text size, etc. you had selected if you close the PDF is a minor annoyance relative to the whole button disappearing.

Though I haven’t tested exhaustively, it looks like this got fixed in 11.1.2, at least.

Edit: Or maybe not, some more testing showed.