Ridiculous mods

• 1 gig for a mod that has only one gun. I guess it's the textures?

Oh, and it has an optional download to add more textures at half a gig.

• @xaade
    Came here for a discussion on @boomzilla's penchant for extreme downvoting. Was disappointed.

• @izzion said in Ridiculous mods:

extreme downvoting. Was disappointed.

Fixed.

• FoxDev

Wait… this isn't about 60s British youth culture? I am disapoint.

• The biggest file looks to be 694kb. There're just many, many files.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@xaade said in Ridiculous mods:

1 gig for a mod that has only one gun. I guess it's the textures?an amateur modder that doesn't know how to optimize and compress the textures.

FTFY

• @coldandtired said in Ridiculous mods:

The biggest file looks to be 694kb. There're just many, many files.

1000 1 meg files?

• @xaade Much more. Most of them are less than 50kb.

• @coldandtired said in Ridiculous mods:

@xaade Much more. Most of them are less than 50kb.

Why would he need so many files? Are there really that many textures? Geez...

• @xaade Maybe he wanted one texture file per pixel

• @xaade Apparently, he made two versions of everything (not even the best resolution!) and many attachments and version of the gun.

If you click the magnifying glass next to the download link you can see the file list.

• @coldandtired Considering the number of mods and attachments to Fallout 4 weapons, it doesn't sound completely unreasonable. Also consider you need a different 3rd person mesh/texture than 1st person, most of the time. So that duplicates everything.

Reminds me of this conversation:

https://twitter.com/LordNed/status/906984543437021185

Games are expensive.

• @blakeyrat If you train talented people in China it could be an order of magnitude cheaper.

• @blakeyrat said in Ridiculous mods:

@coldandtired Considering the number of mods and attachments to Fallout 4 weapons, it doesn't sound completely unreasonable. Also consider you need a different 3rd person mesh/texture than 1st person, most of the time. So that duplicates everything.

Reminds me of this conversation:

https://twitter.com/LordNed/status/906984543437021185

Games are expensive.

Yeah, but.... I'm sitting at 47 gigs with many mods installed, most of which add several armors, options, etc.

That 1 gig is as compressed.

I mean, fair enough, I suppose.

• Banned

@xaade said in Ridiculous mods:

1 gig for a mod that has only one gun. I guess it's the textures?

Even more ridiculous is this:

Heartbeat Sensor: Tracking system for easier detection of dead bodies and any loot they carry, increases perception slightly as well.

I've got a feeling this guy thinks "Heartbeat" is a brand name.

• @wharrgarbl Yeah, hiring only people who live in one of the most expensive cities in the world tends to make things expensive.

• Banned

@anonymous234 hire in a cheaper state and you can save up to 30% of three and half millions.

• Some time ago I made a mod for Red Alert that was quite ridiculous. For those unfamiliar with it, the game is an RTS, and its configuration files are hidden in a proprietary archive format, but if a file with the same name exists in the game's directory, the game uses that file instead of the archived one. The config files are regular ol' plain-text .ini files, so they're easy to edit (rules.ini, art.ini, etc.). There were several changes that I made, but the main one was an update to Tanya. Specifically, her dual pistols. I turned the fire rate up to something like 1000 rounds per minute, set the projectile speed to something really slow like 5 or 10 (0 is immobile, 100 is insta-hit), set the projectile turn rate to something small like 5 or 10 (0 is dumb-fire, >0 is homing, 100 is the maximum rate), changed the projectile artwork to the mid-leap "flying" attack dog animation, and changed the warhead damage application percentages to 100% for every armor type (0% prevents targeting; the number can be above 100%), and set the special "nuclear" flag to true.

This meant that Tanya would run up to her maximum range away from any target, begin shooting, quickly hit the maximum number of projectiles on the map (255), which would prevent anyone or anything else anywhere on the map from attacking, and then wait while the deadly dogs levitate creepily towards their target. If the target moves, then the dogs would start to circle around it like a flock of vultures, getting closer with every revolution. Once they finally started impacting the target, the game would see that the nuclear flag was set and run the special atomic explosion animation. That would stop all other game execution, dissolve the whole screen (including the sidebar) to white, and fade back in to color, apply damage, display a mushroom cloud explosion and play death animations and audio for anything that died or was destroyed, and then resume normal game execution. Since the next frame was the next dog's impact, the whole sequence would repeat. That made it tedious, but quite comical, to play.

After enough damage had been applied to the target to destroy it, the chain of dogs would stop tracking and just fly from their current position to the maximum range of the weapon in a straight line before just disappearing. If the chain had become a spiral, there would be an interesting flowering effect of dogs that seemed to be running flying away from the epicenter. Unfortunately (?), because the range of Tanya's pistols is close the radius of the nuclear blast, she would often as not be caught in it and die. Increasing her range a little bit helped with that, though. Maybe sometime I'll recreate it and post some screenshots.